19 Days Till Tennessee Basketball: Quinton Chievous Evaluation

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Strengths: Quinton is a hard nosed basketball player. He is a very solid defender that can guard a variety of players. He has excellent length and uses his correctly. He moves his feet well and his always on his toes defensively, and doesn't get caught ball watching when guarding off the ball. He does a great job fronting the post and has underrated strength. He did a great job guarding bigger four last year's and is very good at anticipating moves down low. Quinton doesn't have much of an offensive game but is very good at offensive rebounding for his size and has nice touch around the rim. He is an excellent defensive rebounder for his size, using his strength to box out and his length to grab boards over traffic. 2.5 boards over ten minutes a game is excellent for a stretch 4 player.

Weaknesses: If Quinton could shoot, he would get more minutes. But he is a liability on offense. He has weak mechanics on his jump shot, and doesn't look confidence. He also has weak driving ability and must improve going to his left to keep defenses honest and has shown no mid range jump shot. While Chievous is very good defensively, but struggles with players that are quick. He doesn't have great lateral quickness, although his length helps compensates that. Chievous is also a weak free throw shooter.

Final Thoughts: Chievous can still be a valuable player. He's only going to be a sophomore. However, his offensive weakness hurt the team, and with him being only 6'5, he doesn't really have a position. He can't shoot to play 3, but he has no post moves or finishes well enough inside to play the 4. However, he works his ass off defensively and rebounds incredibly well. He's a solid ten minute a game player, and if he can learn to shoot, he'll get valuable minutes at Tennessee eventually.

Very fair assessment. His biggest strength is rebounding and hustling. If anything, he's a great team player who's going to go balls out when he gets minutes. However, I agree that him being a contributor is completely up in the air.

I'm just excited to see how our guys play this yr. I think we will have a good team. I can't wait to see what Hubbs looks like. Does anybody think he will make the all sec freshman team? GO VOLS!

I'm just excited to see how our guys play this yr. I think we will have a good team. I can't wait to see what Hubbs looks like. Does anybody think he will make the all sec freshman team? GO VOLS!
Wow I didn't know this was the Robert Hubbs evaluation thread

On topic: ZJC you forgot to mention he can be a threat on the 3 pt line once he gains confidence. Martin really likes his 3 pointer. Otherwise good and fair write up.

VN Store

Back