Thoughts on the 10/22 scrimmage

volfansince113087

If this basketball team does not make the NCAA tournament this year, the CCM and his staff will have "for sale" signs in their respective yards. This team is very talented and can make a deep run in the dance if they catch break or 2 here and there and get a little luck. Is this team a Final 4 team? If they gut lucky in the tournament, anything can happen. I'm going to go ahead and say this, if they don't make it to the sweet 16 I'll be shocked. They are poised to make a run in the tournament. If they get consistent scoring night in and night out and if their frontcourt play is good (mop up minutes), they will compete. Outside of Maymon and Stokes, the Vols will struggle down low. The newcomer "Pops" is very raw and needs some big game experience the by the time the SEC schedule rolls around. Davis is more of a 3/4 in my opinion. Outside of Maymon, I don't think they have a true 4.

My projected line-up:

1. Barton
2. Richardson
3. McRae
4. Maymon
5. Stokes

Off the bench:

Thompson (1), Hubbs (2 or 3), Moore (3 or 4), Pops (5), and Davis at times will get minutes depending on the fouls and match-ups, but he will get time at 3 or 4.

Barton is a true PG, unlike Golden. He's not going to fill it up, but he does so many different intangibles and that completes this team. Runs the offense well, sees the floor well, and does not force the ball. Very good penetrator but he will knock down that open shot every now and then, if you leave him open he will make you pay. Reminds me of Bobby Maze.

Richardson is an ace lockdown defender and has really improved his shooting. He will have the assignment every night on the opponent's top scorer. He will make the defense pay if you leave him open.

McRae was McRae and he will pick up his scoring from where he left off last year. He didn't flash much in the scrimmage but he can stroke the 3-ball from long range and drive to the hole with ease.

Maymon is pretty much 100% but remember he hasn't played in nearly 18 months, so he is just getting back into basketball form. He's very physical down low and will compliment Stokes very good. Remember Stokes was pretty much our only post player last year (Hall was a decoy most of the time) and still put up some pretty good numbers. Maymon has a quick turnaround jumper that will benefit his game.

Stokes will be tough to handle. If I'm CCM and his staff, I'm going to make sure he touches the ball everytime. He either scored or got fouled. He missed a shot or 2 from .blank range but he is a force down low. He is still struggling from the FT line and that might cost the team a game or 2. Bricked a few 10 foot jumpers.

Thompson is like Barton. He will be a good solid PG in the future. He sees the floor real well and can run the offense. Not very vocal right now but he has a good head on his shoulders. Thompson might be the steal of this class.

Hubbs at times will be 5-star stud that we signed or he will be on every message board on how bad he is. Reminds me of JP Prince. He is capable of putting up 20 1 night, then the next night he won't even step off the bus. Had trouble guarding McRae (what freshman wouldn't?). McRae didn't flash his skills and scored when he wanted to on him. Is he talented? Without a doubt. He will have to play better defense though. He can take it to the hole and can shoot it from deep.

Pops is very raw and will be a major contributor to this team. If he can defend, rebound, and get a few points just being around the rim then Mission Accomplished. He just needs some game experience. Had trouble stopping Stokes.

All of this is just MY opinion and I will answer any questions. Other than that GO VOLS!

P.S. I forgot to add this. The NCAA is cracking down on block/charge and more fouls being called. They expect the foul total to be a LOT higher than last year. They want to cut the handchecks, the forearms, and rough post play out. The NCAA said that games got way to physical last year and they want teams to be in the bonus early in the game.

You will see more blocks than charges this year. The new rule is that the defender must be in legal guarding position by the time the offense has gathered ball and started their shooting motion as opposed to being set before the offense leaves their feet. I don't think CCM likes the new rule 'cause he is a defensive guy and he wants his guys to take charges. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Sounds like Thompson is going to be a beast in the near future, wouldn't be shocked if he replaces Barton as the starter late in the season if he's as good as advertised.

Thanks for info.
FOR SALE SIGNS :eek:lol:
Sounds like we'll be very good (if we can stay healthy).
Can't wait but I'm still loving this football season.:)
GO VOLS!

If this foul calling hold true it would be a good idea to make sure our guys can shoot FT. That very well could be a huge advantage this year, not that it isn't always important, but especially this year.

Thanks for info.
FOR SALE SIGNS :eek:lol:
Sounds like we'll be very good (if we can stay healthy).
Can't wait but I'm still loving this football season.:)
GO VOLS!

Haha did you like that? In all seriousness though, if we don't make the dance I really don't see CCM getting a 4th year. The players know that they must perform this year. They cant wait til Feb and decide to start playing.

What were the 2 starting squads?

Did you see the improved perimeter shot from Richardson we keep hearing about?

Sounds like Thompson is going to be a beast in the near future, wouldn't be shocked if he replaces Barton as the starter late in the season if he's as good as advertised.

I like Thompson. I saw him in the state tourney and he looks like a natural PG that can lead his team. Seems like a fine young man.

I don't understand how people keep saying our down low will struggle aside from Maymon and Stokes... Last year, we had Hall, Yemi and double-teamed Stokes down low. We have hella improvement from last year, and even with Maymon or Stokes on the bench this team is going to be fine compared to other front court duos.

Can you name to me a team that has more depth/better depth than ours? (Other than say the top 15 like UK, UF, etc). Pops is a much better upgrade than Yemi, plus he's a lot more conditioned now that he was playing JUCO (and was injured too). AJ Davis, from what I've heard, is better than Hall - if Moore is better than Hall and Davis is better than Moore, that's pretty scary to think about.

So Davis to backup Maymon and Pops to back up Stokes if needed. OP is making it seem like Davis isn't good enough to get major minutes this year, and from what I've read he's going to be a contributor for this team.

What were the 2 starting squads?

Did you see the improved perimeter shot from Richardson we keep hearing about?

Let me think...

Barton, Richardson, Hubbs, Maymon, and Stokes.

Vs

Thompson, McRae, Moore, Davis, and Pops.

I think that is right.

Richardson didn't get many looks. He knocked a few bombs but they mainly fed the ball inside to Stokes and Maymon

I don't understand how people keep saying our down low will struggle aside from Maymon and Stokes... Last year, we had Hall, Yemi and double-teamed Stokes down low. We have hella improvement from last year, and even with Maymon or Stokes on the bench this team is going to be fine compared to other front court duos.

Can you name to me a team that has more depth/better depth than ours? (Other than say the top 15 like UK, UF, etc). Pops is a much better upgrade than Yemi, plus he's a lot more conditioned now that he was playing JUCO (and was injured too). AJ Davis, from what I've heard, is better than Hall - if Moore is better than Hall and Davis is better than Moore, that's pretty scary to think about.

So Davis to backup Maymon and Pops to back up Stokes if needed. OP is making it seem like Davis isn't good enough to get major minutes this year, and from what I've read he's going to be a contributor for this team.

Stokes was our only consistent post player we had last year and was doubled team constantly. What I'm saying is if Maymon or Stokes gets in foul trouble, Davis and/or Pops HAVE to step up cause if I'm the opposing coach I'm going to double team Stokes or Maymon (whoever's in). Davis will be good he's just not real thick, needs to be more physical. He will get more minutes as the season goes on.

We went to a 4 guard line up late in the year because of our limitations in the post, so being improved is not saying much. Sure Maymon and Stokes shoud be 2 of the best duo in the post in the NCAA. Other than that, everyone else is unproven. Davis is not going to be able to come in and be a banger for back up minutes. I do expect him to play outside and stretch the defense. Moore at the 4 will be a 4 guard line up similar to last year. Pops is a big body but still extremely raw. So, all the upgrades are all unproven.

OP it sounds like you had a higher opinion of Pops than Rob Lewis, after watching the scrimmage. I know he is raw, but how were his hands? I've heard he is a solid rebounder, but it would nice to be able to go inside out while he is on the floor too.

Let me think...

Barton, Richardson, Hubbs, Maymon, and Stokes.

Vs

Thompson, McRae, Moore, Davis, and Pops.

I think that is right.

Richardson didn't get many looks. He knocked a few bombs but they mainly fed the ball inside to Stokes and Maymon

That's was my guess on the 10 starters, Reese, Q and Edwards will likely see little time...the 8 or 9 man rotation will come from that group. I think you've probably got 7 set with Moore, Davis and Pops fighting for those last minutes.

I love the sound of the last paragraph!!!

Last edited:
OP it sounds like you had a higher opinion of Pops than Rob Lewis, after watching the scrimmage. I know he is raw, but how were his hands? I've heard he is a solid rebounder, but it would nice to be able to go inside out while he is on the floor too.

He's just a big physical presence down low. Reminds me so much of Brian Williams. His hands are pretty good and his foot work is pretty solid even though he tried to take the ball to the hole from the FT line and traveled. He'll average probably 5-6 ppg with about 6-7 rpg. Just need him to play good solid defense, rebound, and get a few put backs while Stokes is on the bench.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for putting his thoughts out there. If you go to any more, please keep 'em coming. I can't get enough info leading up to the season.

He's just a big physical presence down low. Reminds me so much of Brian Williams. His hands are pretty good and his foot work is pretty solid even though he tried to take the ball to the hole from the FT line and traveled. He'll average probably 5-6 ppg with about 6-7 rpg. Just need him to play good solid defense, rebound, and get a few put backs while Stokes is on the bench.

:hi: thank you sir

lulz he could make the blooper reel every week as far as I'm concerned. As long as he is rebounding, cleaning up on occasion, and being a defensive presence without fouling.

What did that free throw shot look like, or did you get to see?

:hi: thank you sir

lulz he could make the blooper reel every week as far as I'm concerned. As long as he is rebounding, cleaning up on occasion, and being a defensive presence without fouling.

What did that free throw shot look like, or did you get to see?

He didn't shoot. He tried to took it the hole and got whistled for traveling. I don't think that will be his game. Maymon and Stokes can put the ball on floor and make a quick move.

This team will be dancing a long time at the dance, maybe 8 in the morning.:) Cant wait to play the GREATEST TEAM NOT TO EVERY PLAY A GAME THE puddy cats.:birgits_giggle:

Reactions: 1 person
P.S. I forgot to add this. The NCAA is cracking down on block/charge and more fouls being called. They expect the foul total to be a LOT higher than last year. They want to cut the handchecks, the forearms, and rough post play out. The NCAA said that games got way to physical last year and they want teams to be in the bonus early in the game.

You will see more blocks than charges this year. The new rule is that the defender must be in legal guarding position by the time the offense has gathered ball and started their shooting motion as opposed to being set before the offense leaves their feet. I don't think CCM likes the new rule 'cause he is a defensive guy and he wants his guys to take charges. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Why are they trying to pansy up all my favorite sports?

VN Store

Back