Expectations

FleeceItOut

With the season upon us I just wanted to see what everyone is expecting from Coach Martin and the team this season. Basically what is acceptable this season as far as results go, winning the sec, making the tourney, sweet 16, etc?

Personally, I feel this could be a very special year for the vols. We have the talent to compete with any team in the country. Not making the tourney is unacceptable to me, and barring any catastrophic injuries we should be very competetive in it. I don't want to say we are a championship team just yet because I haven't seen this team play, but based on the roster alone we have the talent to go all the way.
I've been very critical of Coach Martin but he's recruited well and I've seen great player development from him. Now that he's settled in and has his players it's time to see him produce some positive results on the court. This is his year to prove that he can get it done, no excuses. Other wise bring back Bruce!! I'm kidding, don't flame me.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
With the season upon us I just wanted to see what everyone is expecting from Coach Martin and the team this season. Basically what is acceptable this season as far as results go, winning the sec, making the tourney, sweet 16, etc?

Personally, I feel this could be a very special year for the vols. We have the talent to compete with any team in the country. Not making the tourney is unacceptable to me, and barring any catastrophic injuries we should be very competetive in it. I don't want to say we are a championship team just yet because I haven't seen this team play, but based on the roster alone we have the talent to go all the way.
I've been very critical of Coach Martin but he's recruited well and I've seen great player development from him. Now that he's settled in and has his players it's time to see him produce some positive results on the court. This is his year to prove that he can get it done, no excuses. Other wise bring back Bruce!! I'm kidding, don't flame me.

Thoughts?

If we don't (1) make it to the NCAA (2) make it past the first round, then I will say that this team under achieved.

I see us winning a few huge games and everyone getting excited but I also see us losing to a few teams that we have no business losing to.

After a couple of huge wins, I see us losing focus and getting the big head and losing to a few teams that we shouldn't lose to.

I think most peoples expectations are at least a sweet 16 run. But if we go into the tourney with only 5 loses and get upset in the first weekend I wouldn't call this season a failure. So me as a fan, I'm going to take it one game at a time. We have the talent to win it all, but I'm not going to call the season a failure if we don't. But I will feel a little disappointed, only because I think this will be our best shot at winning it all for a little while.

39-0, best team in NCAA history, 5 1st rounders get drafted and we beat UK by 100.

Anything less, Cuonzo gots to go.

Someone here once told me you should set your goals high.

Reactions: 3 people
39-0, best team in NCAA history, 5 1st rounders get drafted and we beat UK by 100.

Anything less, Cuonzo gots to go.

Someone here once told me you should set your goals high.

Our whole team drafted in the lottery or bust

First off as fans we set ourselves up for disappointment in every sport because we long for some type of winning tradition to come back to Knoxville. Here is how I see it. We have complained about Coach Martin underachieving or not making the tournament. But no one was beating down our door to take the job. Recruits were not interested in playing here. He has changed that. Proof is in the filling. But for the first time in a long time I just want to enjoy the games without all the hype. All the drama. Football and basketball are turning the corner. Rocky top is about to get rocky again for opponents. If you want to bring something to the table. Brings your loud roudy selves to the games and cheer your asses off. GO VOLS!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
You're one of the most rational posters on this site, so I can go with that. Although I feel a 6 seed would be lower than what I expect.

What are your thoughts on how we finish in the SEC?

I figure a 6 seed means we are ranked in the top 25 most likely. If were ranked come march that means we've had a pretty good regular season, and likely a decent showing in the SECT, that's why I went with 6 seed or better (I was close to saying 5 or better).

As for how we finish, I think definite top 3 should be the expectation, although I'm curious to see how LSU looks early.

Thanks for the link, I over looked your thread. I didn't mean to duplicate it. My apologies.

No apologies needed. That thread was a bit of a mess. This one is starting out much friendlier :hi:

You don't want to set expectations for the tournament. Anything can happen there. You set expectations for the season, then hope for the best in the tournament. If we had Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self, etc., then we can start saying things like "anything less than Sweet 16 is a disappointment." Until then, you gotta take it one step at a time.

Finish top-3 in the SEC, make no lower than a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney, and that will be a solid season even if we were, say, upset in the round of 32 in the tourney.

Thoughts?

"I've been very critical of Coach Martin but he's NOT recruited well and I've seen great player development from him."

I haven't been critical of Coach Martin - but his recruiting has been spotty at best. His classes have been 8th, 8th, and 9th in the SEC I think - which should concern - he appears a fair floor coach - his teams play hard and appear to show some development - the players appear to like him.

This year - I could coach the team and they would make the NCAA tournament - but we are working with 2 - 3 starters left over from the Bruce era and/or recruiting. A much truer test will be what do we put on the floor the following two years.

This will honestly be a great team imo - and I think we will be ranked in the top 20 most of the year. Next year and the year after ---- ummmm not sure. Coach Martin has recruited a few head scratchers imo. Don't under estimate the value of getting Mr. Maymon back. Tremendously underrated talent in my opinion - not just because he is a rebounding machine but -- he is a great defender with tremendous footwork for a big guy and he is also an exceptional passer.

No Steven Pearl but serviceable. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You don't want to set expectations for the tournament. Anything can happen there. You set expectations for the season, then hope for the best in the tournament. If we had Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self, etc., then we can start saying things like "anything less than Sweet 16 is a disappointment." Until then, you gotta take it one step at a time.

Finish top-3 in the SEC, make no lower than a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney, and that will be a solid season even if we were, say, upset in the round of 32 in the tourney.

Well said. I'd even stop short of setting a bar for seeding in the tourney as well because it is completely subjective to a committee of biased people (whether they admit it or not). That's really out of the team's control.

Win the games you should, steal a couple you shouldn't, and everything else will take care of itself.

Get to the tourney and take it one step at a time, especially for a coach who's never been there as a coach.

No lower than 3rd in the SEC. #5 or better seed in the dance & elite 8 appearance. Ranked all season.

"I've been very critical of Coach Martin but he's NOT recruited well and I've seen great player development from him."

I haven't been critical of Coach Martin - but his recruiting has been spotty at best. His classes have been 8th, 8th, and 9th in the SEC I think - which should concern - he appears a fair floor coach - his teams play hard and appear to show some development - the players appear to like him.

This year - I could coach the team and they would make the NCAA tournament - but we are working with 2 - 3 starters left over from the Bruce era and/or recruiting. A much truer test will be what do we put on the floor the following two years.

This will honestly be a great team imo - and I think we will be ranked in the top 20 most of the year. Next year and the year after ---- ummmm not sure. Coach Martin has recruited a few head scratchers imo. Don't under estimate the value of getting Mr. Maymon back. Tremendously underrated talent in my opinion - not just because he is a rebounding machine but -- he is a great defender with tremendous footwork for a big guy and he is also an exceptional passer.

Yeah getting Hubbs, Stokes, Richardson, Barton, Thompson, and possibility getting a 5 star Looney is awful...

The recruiting hasn't been as bad as you insinuate. Because of the recruiting cycles, basketball recruiting takes time. Before you say something about Calipari or Roy Williams don't need time, a coach who is promoted from a mid-major needs time. You need a good two years to develop relationships in basketball because of the early signing period. It is totally different than football although you see that football is moving toward guys comitting much sooner.

Martin was hired on March 27, 2011, and in two and a half years, he has landed two 5 stars, and Looney would make three. We have a realistic shot with him. That is actually pretty remarkable. He has recruited a bunch of other three stars, but most are fringe 3-4 star players.

His first recruiting class was tough because of the roster turnover. The only real fault is that he had two years to fix the PG situation, and he took the wrong players to fix it. Might have cost him a chance at the tournament last year.

its just an exagerration not meant to be taken literally.

But it is typically one made to minimize the actual ability it takes to coach the team, usually in an effort to prematurely devalue the accomplishments of a coach (Martin in this case).

VN Store

Back