22 Days Till Tennessee Basketball: D'Montre Edwards Evaluation

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Strengths: D'Montre is a talented offensive player with good size and athleticism. D'Montre has an athletic jump shot and gets good ups over big defenders. He has a very smooth jump shot and is a decent three point shooter He has a quick first step that can blow by bigger defenders. He has the ability to post up smaller players when he plays the three. D'Montre has shown an ability to rebound the ball on the defensive end. He's a quick hopper which can help him elevate over bigger players for shots and also has decent finishing ability in the paint.

Weaknesses: D'Montre is too slow to guard wings and to weak to guard the post. He's too big of a liability on defense to get big minutes. D'Montre has shown ability on offense, but not enough to overcome his other weaknesses. He gets caught flat footed too much on defense and does not position his body well when guarding the post. D'Montre must be a more consistent outside shooter when he comes in. His shot selection is also shoddy and must take better shots.

Final Thoughts: D'Montre has the ability to be a contributor if he becomes a more consistent defender and rebounder. D'Montre can bring some offense off the bench, but if he wants minutes, he must be consistent, and develop his skills at the 4. He's a nice 11th man off the bench, but if he plays 20 minutes a game, you better be an defensive juggernaut.

bad coaching from aau, hs and juco have hurt this kid. Skill, balance, athletic ability, can use both hands to finish, good looking release. It's all there. It's apparent no one instilled work ethic on the defensive end and it's hard to correct when a 21 yr old has no idea how to play D.

bad coaching from aau, hs and juco have hurt this kid. Skill, balance, athletic ability, can use both hands to finish, good looking release. It's all there. It's apparent no one instilled work ethic on the defensive end and it's hard to correct when a 21 yr old has no idea how to play D.

And this is why he won't see the floor except in a blowout.

Hasn't Edwards been working on his defense all offseason?

Will that be enough though, that's kind of what he's hinting at. Can a guy who's only committed to learning how to play defense for 6 months beat out a guy who's been working on his defense for 6 years??? Doubtful probably, but I hope so, I love Edwards.

This is the type of kid that would benefit from a zone playing d. IMO Like you said he has some good intangibles, but he just gets exposed in man to man d.

I hope he made an extra hard effort to improve his foot work defensively. And I think he would be better guarding the other teams 3 instead of their 4. But I think once he got some confidence he could definitely help offensively.

Dude has a lightning quick step. If he could just become decent at defense he would crack the rotation.

We really need someone to step up big time and take the 9th spot.

I think it'll look something like this
Barton
Richardson
McRae
Maymon
Stokes

6th
Hubbs

7th
Moore

8th
Thompson

9th
Edwards/Pops/Reese/Q/Davis

Because I see CCM cutting the rotation down it 8 or 9 once the SEC play starts. So who will that 9th spot be?

I'd say Davis/Pops for that 9th, depending on the night. We need the size and phsicality. However, Im not sure Davis will fit the phsicality bill his freshman year. If Pops can guard without fouling and drop a bucket or two, I can see him getting the most 9th spot minutes.

Do we know if Moore will play the 3 or the 4. I know he produces at the 4 but I'd like to see him on the wing.

We really need someone to step up big time and take the 9th spot.

I think it'll look something like this
Barton
Richardson
McRae
Maymon
Stokes

6th
Hubbs

7th
Moore

8th
Thompson

9th
Edwards/Pops/Reese/Q/Davis

Because I see CCM cutting the rotation down it 8 or 9 once the SEC play starts. So who will that 9th spot be?

Davis is ahead of Moore as of today fwiw

Do we know if Moore will play the 3 or the 4. I know he produces at the 4 but I'd like to see him on the wing.

He will see minutes in both spots. I'm sure CCM would like him to only have to guard other teams 3. But Money gives the effort and has the hops to guard somebody 2 or 3 inches taller than him if he has to.

The bright side is, the spark he provides doesn't need 10-20 minutes to develope. If we can get him 8-12 minutes per, he can contribute.

If Davis is ahead of Moore than watch the **** out because Moore is a straight GAMER

VN Store

Back