24 Days Till Tennessee Basketball: Antonio Barton Evaluation

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Sadly, I was not at a computer at all yesterday. It was a crazy day from 7 AM to 11:30 PM for me so I had to miss a post yesterday. But we are going to go Jordan McRae's also today to make up for it. Let's get to Barton.

Strengths: Antonio Barton is a tough, gritty, athletic player that brings a lot to the table. Barton doesn't do anything spectacular, but does a lot for your team. Barton is an excellent three point shooter. For his career Barton shoots 41.6% from three while taking 206 three's. Barton doesn't force shots from the outside, and is always in rhythm when he takes them from outside. He's very good at setting his feet for a shot while a man is trying to close on him. Barton can also get in the paint and has the ability to finish, though there seems to be no mid-range jumper. Barton is also a solid defender. While not having elite quickness, he uses his length to keep his man from getting in the paint and does a great job closing on jump shots with his wingspan. Barton has a decent left handed and good handles, and while he won't be confused for Magic Johnson, he does keep his head up when dribbling and can find the open man when making a move and driving to the bucket. Barton also has a decent FT rate for his career. Barton also has been very solid at taking care of the ball and does not make stupid mistakes. Antonio plays well in transition on or off ball and his three point shooting makes him a dangerous weapon.

Weaknesses: Even though he's a point guard and can play the position well, Barton isn't a great passer. He's more of a scoring point guard, and the stats have shown that. While not asked to be a big time playmaker at Memphis, he has not had a good assist percentage in his career. Barton does not have a midrange jumper, and it hinders his ability to score. Barton is not a good free throw shooter. While around 68% his first two years, that dropped 10% for his junior year inexplicably. As the starting PG for the Vols, Barton needs to improve that. Barton is a good defender, but he struggles against small, quick point guards because he does not move laterally very well. Barton has the ability to create his own shot, but he is not a great pick and roll player and struggles when doubled team on a hedge.

Final Thoughts: Considering the situation, Antonio is a great fit for Tennessee, and was an incredible get for Coach Cuonzo Martin. He's tough, a good teammate, and brings experience to a Vols team that can potentially have a big year. Barton is a knockdown three point shooter, and with the Bruise Brothers down low, and Jordan McRae's driving ability, Barton is a very dangerous weapon that will spread the floor. Barton can get to the lane, and he will have to become a pass first point guard with this Tennessee team. Barton is a much better defender than previous PG Trae Golden, and has the ability to be elite, even though he does struggle against very quick point guards. Barton will really help in transition because he likes to run, and can play on or off ball. This will create more opportunities for Tennessee in the open court. I expect a solid year for Antonio Barton, something like 10 points/5 assists and something like 45/40/70 with solid defense. This is exactly what Tennessee needs.

Reactions: 7 people
good info. Don't agree about the passing though. You can't judge someone's vision or passing ability just by looking at assist #'s, especially when you have a guard that was often coming off the bench for instant offense.
If you did only look at ast/turnover, one would assume Trae was a good ballhandler and passer and he was really average at both.

Reactions: 1 person
good info. Don't agree about the passing though. You can't judge someone's vision or passing ability just by looking at assist #'s, especially when you have a guard that was often coming off the bench for instant offense.
If you did only look at ast/turnover, one would assume Trae was a good ballhandler and passer and he was really average at both.

True but I watched multiple games to do this eval. He is a solid passer, which I said, but he needs to be better for UT. I think he can and will.

Reactions: 1 person

Trae was a bad ball handler but thought he was a solid passer. JMO.

Good write up, Barton is a fun one to watch and should have a really good year this year.

I just don't recall good passing from Trae on the break, interior after penetration, or anticipation by hitting cutters. Jmo as well.

I felt when Trae's mindset was pass first, we was really good at finding the open man. The former was the problem.

Nice post. Question: doesn't he average a little over 1 assist per game? That has to improve. I can't wait to see him in Orange.

VN Store

Back