Media: Predictions and All-SEC Teams

Chris4Vols22

GBO or GTFO
Not surprisingly, the media picked UT to finish 3rd behind UK and UF. We did receive one #1 vote.

McRae makes All-SEC team, Maymon and Stokes make 2nd team.

Tennessee was one of only three teams to receive a first-place vote. Preseason favorite Kentucky received 21 first-place votes, while Florida received five.

The Volunteers placed three players on the media's preseason All-SEC team. Only Kentucky had more All-SEC honorees (four).

Vols senior guard Jordan McRae was a first-team selection, and the Midway, Ga., native also was runner-up in SEC Player of the Year voting.

Tennessee's formidable frontcourt duo of senior Jeronne Maymon and junior Jarnell Stokes made the All-SEC second team.

Kentucky freshman Julius Randle media's choice for SEC Player of the Year with 11 votes. Others who received POY votes were McRae (5 votes), LSU's Johnny O'Bryant III (3 votes), Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes (3 votes), Florida's Patric Young (2 votes), Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson (2 votes) and Alabama's Trevor Releford (1 vote).

Tennessee hosts a pair of exhibition games on Nov. 2 and 7 before opening the 2013-14 season at Xavier Nov. 12.

Vols Picked Third in SEC Media Poll, Land Three on All-SEC Team - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

First-Team All-SEC
Trevor Releford - Alabama, G, 6-0, 190, Sr., Kansas City, Mo.
Julius Randle - Kentucky, F, 6-9, 250, Fr., Dallas, Texas
Johnny O'Bryant III - LSU, F , 6-9 , 256 , Jr. , Cleveland, Miss.
Marshall Henderson - Ole Miss, G, 6-2, 177, Sr., Hurst, Texas
Jordan McRae - Tennessee, G, 6-6, 185, Sr., Midway, Ga.

Second-Team All-SEC
Scottie Wilbekin - Florida, G, 6-2, 176, Sr., Gainesville, Fla.
Patric Young - Florida, C, 6-9, 240, Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.
Willie Cauley-Stein - Kentucky, F, 7-0, 244, So., Olathe, Kan.
Andrew Harrison - Kentucky, G, 6-6, 215, Fr., Richmond, Texas
Dakari Johnson - Kentucky, C, 7-0, 265, Fr., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Jabari Brown - Missouri, G, 6-5, 214, Jr., Oakland, Calif.
Jeronne Maymon - Tennessee, F, 6-8, 260, Sr., Madison, Wis.
Jarnell Stokes - Tennessee, F, 6-8, 260, Jr., Memphis, Tenn.

SEC Player of the Year: Julius Randle, Kentucky

Reactions: 2 people
I agree BTO. They have McRae way too low. He played as good, or better, than anyone in the country last year. Hopefully, he will play as well again this year.

Saw that this morning. I agree with Stokes, but I completely disagree on McRae. They emphasized their rankings are COLLEGE PLAYERS, and not how they'll project to the NBA. Jordan McRae is one of the top 10-20 college players in the NCAA IMO

Absolutely!

And the first sentence of the article says: This is about college basketball players -- not pro prospects. :unsure:

Surprised that Marshall "tweaker" Henderson didn't get more POY votes. The media loves them some Marshall.

No way that anyone not wearing blue gets SEC player of the year. It wouldn't have mattered if McRae had won it last year at the end of the season.

Last edited:
How in the he** was Randle voted the best player in the SEC if he hasn't even played a game yet?

Reactions: 1 person
How in the he** was Randle voted the best player in the SEC if he hasn't even played a game yet?
We've seen it happen before. Wasn't Anthony Davis voted preseason POY as a freshmen? Your acting like a freshmen has never been nominated before.

Florida: overrated as usual.
Are you saying that out of your hatred for Florida or do you actually think that? It's hard to deny their roster is stacked.

Every time I see Patrick Young my brain automatically corrects it to Patricia Young. Dude is soft, can't wait to see Stokes and Maymon push him around inside :) I'd take our roster over the gators

Every time I see Patrick Young my brain automatically corrects it to Patricia Young. Dude is soft, can't wait to see Stokes and Maymon push him around inside :) I'd take our roster over the gators
Well that's because your a bit biased :p

VN Store

Back