Basketvols practice update

SJAVol32

COMPETITION CONTINUES

"We’ve mentioned this several times in the past, but it’s virtually impossible to determine Tennessee’s playing-time pecking order by simply watching practice, because different players are put together every day."

"And for what it’s worth, aside from the upperclassman All-SEC trio of Jordan McRae, Jeronne Maymon and Jarnell Stokes, plenty of playing time is up for grabs on a talented and versatile roster."

"History shows that Martin likes having versatile junior glue guy Josh Richardson on the floor for his defense, and obviously the Vols need a point guard on the floor at all times, but the possibilities aside from those factors are still plentiful. And it’s worth mentioning that Tennessee’s staff thinks Richardson’s defense dipped at times last season because he had to play 30-plus minutes in many games."

YOUNG PLAYERS PROGRESSING

"Tennessee’s true freshman trio continues to impress, but the player we keep hearing the most about isn’t five-star guard Robert Hubbs, but Nashville-area point guard Darius Thompson."

"An extremely quiet kid with a baby face, the 6-foot-4 Thompson continues to impress everyone in the program with his ability to stay cool under pressure, distribute the ball and hit perimeter shots. He’s quickly becoming known as one of this team’s best shooters, but he’s not a combo guard. He’s a legitimate point guard who can really, really shoot the ball."

"We think senior Memphis transfer Antonio Barton would still be the starter if the season opened today, but Thompson continues to make that a legitimate battle, and both will get plenty of minutes if they’re healthy."

"As for Hubbs, his athleticism and ability to score are still staggeringly impressive in spots, but Martin is consistently pushing Hubbs to play better on the defensive end. Hubbs, to his credit, claims to be listening, telling us last week that he “definitely” understood that his defense, rather than his offense,"

"Versatile freshman A.J. Davis continues to impress, as well, but he occasionally struggles to defend in the paint because of his slightish frame. He’s actually put on nearly 20 pounds since arriving in Knoxville, and he’ll continue to fill out as time progresses."

‘POPS’ PUSHING

"The most recent update we got on Tennessee junior center Rawane “Pops” Ndiaye was a good one."

"Martin told us that Ndiaye was arguably the MVP of an early week practice, and he continues to show that he can be a factor at this level."

"Ndiaye isn’t Dirk Nowitzki or anything like that, but he’s certainly an offensive upgrade from predecessor Yemi Makanjuola."

"he’s showing the potential to be a factor off the bench."

ARMANI TIME

"Here’s another bit of interesting news from last week: At times, especially late in the week, a couple of people told us that sophomore guard Armani Moore was arguably the best player on the court during practice."

"One program source told us Moore was “an absolute beast” late in the week,"

"At 6-5, 220 pounds, Moore certainly looks the part on the floor, and he’s got the toughness to play everywhere but center. After moving back off the ball late last season, Moore — who initially was recruited to Tennessee as a point guard — started gaining comfort and confidence in his game."

"He attacks the basket really well."

"he’s also starting to shoot the ball much better from the perimeter."

-24/7

Basically guys get ready for a hell of a season. I we are deep at all positions it just comes down to proving it on the court and jelling together. Armani and J-Rich have been getting nothing but praise for their improved shooting.

Darius and AJ will hopefully be huge steals. With AJ putting on 20lbs looks like he can stand to put on some more and not lose any of his athleticism.

Looks like Hubbs isn't getting the 5star treatment like others may have thought. Making him work for his minutes is something that will pay dividends for us in the long run. I think he knew coming in that he wouldn't have the starting spot right away.

I continue to think Pops will be the biggest surprise and give us quality minutes and not just an extra 5 fouls like Yemi.

Crossing fingers for no injuries, but this team has all the potential in the world. Go Vols

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good news about Thompson since he will be the PG of the future. Thanks for the info too.

Armani Moore is really gonna help take the pressure off of Jordy and Josh.

So happy Thompson signed with us....seen him play at blackman a few times....smooth

Armani Moore is really gonna help take the pressure off of Jordy and Josh.

all he needed was some ballhandling work to be nasty to handle because he's athletic, aggressive and strong as hell.
Really, we go from being limited at pg to having choices. Right now, my concern is having enough shots to go around and enough minutes for guys to get in rhythm. Even more reason to play up tempo. With a team this deep and talented, we should run folks out of the gym and seldom have a halfcourt set that isn't a pick and roll, which should be virtually unstoppable with the weapons and improved ballhandling/spacing.

all he needed was some ballhandling work to be nasty to handle because he's athletic, aggressive and strong as hell.
Really, we go from being limited at pg to having choices. Right now, my concern is having enough shots to go around and enough minutes for guys to get in rhythm. Even more reason to play up tempo. With a team this deep and talented, we should run folks out of the gym and seldom have a halfcourt set that isn't a pick and roll, which should be virtually unstoppable with the weapons and improved ballhandling/spacing.

Trying to run people out of the gun takes away from our biggest strength, which is the Bruise Brothers. I want a faster pace, but this should not become a fast break team. It should run through Maymon/Stokes outside with McRae/Hubbs complimenting on the outside.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm excited, this will look like a different team fron the down years in previous seasons. I believe we'll be competitive with teams across the country

Also pumped to get back in tba!

Yes he was. It proved to be too much for a freshman with a questionable handle.

The problem with Moore early on was that he couldn't drive to his left, which made him turnover prone. If he makes his dribbling better the sky's the limit for Armani cause he's a straight beast.

The beauty of having the backcourt depth is that UT is so versatile this year. Thompson can play 1/2. Hubbs can play 2/3. Moore can play 2-4. Chevious can play 3/4.

Need shooting? Thompson

Need defense? Moore

Need offensive punch? Hubbs

Need rebounding? Chevious

Reactions: 1 person
The problem with Moore early on was that he couldn't drive to his left, which made him turnover prone. If he makes his dribbling better the sky's the limit for Armani cause he's a straight beast.

Heck, he could barely dribble with his left hand.

The most exciting thing about these reports is for next year.

As good a shooter as Darius is, I think most people that have never seen him play, will be surprised how good of a passer he is. This, I believe, is where he will most help this team this year. He will shoot the open shot but when he is in the game he will be looking to get the ball to our scorers in scoring position. His vision and passing ability are outstanding.

As good a shooter as Darius is, I think most people that have never seen him play, will be surprised how good of a passer he is. This, I believe, is where he will most help this team this year. He will shoot the open shot but when he is in the game he will be looking to get the ball to our scorers in scoring position. His vision and passing ability are outstanding.

For those who haven't seen his senior highlights, there doesn't seem to be a weakness in his game. Most likely, it will show up in his defense and physicality at the college level as a freshman, like with most freshmen, but he can do it all offensively.

I'm excited to see the different line ups we put out there this year. Our roster lends itself to be very versatile, from a 4 guard lineup to a big lineup and plenty of talent to do either. should be fun to watch

Feeling great about the present and future state of our program. :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back