Making the Tourney is NOT enough

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
Is it just me or are all the 'goals' I've seen for this Men's team just about making the tournament. Yes, I was frustrated with not making it the last couple of years, but with the tallent we have returning and the pieces we have added, if I am CCM, I am setting a goal for the year of Elite 8. Maybe I'm crazy, and maybe I'm missing something because I don't follow basketball day to day in the offseason. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Apparently there are a lot of ESL posters. Other words for GOAL include : aim, end, target, ambition, aspiration. Our goal should not be "one step at a time"

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Is it just more or are all the 'goals' I've seen for this Men's team just about making the tournament. Yes, I was frustrated with not making it the last couple of years, but with the tallent we have returning and the pieces we have added, if I am CCM, I am setting a goal for the year of Elite 8. Maybe I'm crazy, and maybe I'm missing something because I don't follow basketball day to day in the offseason. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
With the tallent we have. If conzo looses fahr him!

Reactions: 5 people
and yes, I know that making that you have to make the tourney before you can make a run, but I feel like we should set the bar higher than just making the tourney, both for Martin and for the players.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it just more or are all the 'goals' I've seen for this Men's team just about making the tournament. Yes, I was frustrated with not making it the last couple of years, but with the tallent we have returning and the pieces we have added, if I am CCM, I am setting a goal for the year of Elite 8. Maybe I'm crazy, and maybe I'm missing something because I don't follow basketball day to day in the offseason. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh Hell, here we go again. Why stop there? Make it a National Title.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh Hell, here we go again. Why stop there? Make it a National Title.

Has this been discussed Ad Nauseam? I don't venture to the basketball forum except during the season. Please tell me why we shouldn't try to be a top ten team in the country?

If I'm the AD, and Tennessee barely scrapes into the tournament as a bubble team this year, that's not enough for me. Enough with the excuses, it's time to get it done and be a national contender

I think it is a goal for a lot of teams every year. But it isn't the end all regarding the teams success for the season.IMO

My point being, IF we were to get upset in the sweet 16 by a decent opponent but had won 25 or 26 games to that point, then I would call that a pretty successful season.

This is just the first CCM team that we can all envision making a deep run.

Anything can happen once in the tourny. Getting there is the goal.

No, not for this year. That should have been the goal for his first year, and maybe for year two. The teams have started off weak, and then done well the second half. To me, that's on the coach (yes there are circumstance I am aware of).

If the goal this year is just making the tournament, then I have lost some respect for CCM

I said anything less than the Elite 8 for this year's team should be unacceptable before anyone else even thought it. If all this team accomplishes is to make the NCAA tourney, CCM should be fired on the spot. That would be a major coaching failure with all the talent he has.

Reactions: 2 people
I said anything less than the Elite 8 for this year's team should be unacceptable before anyone else even thought it. If all this team accomplishes is to make the NCAA tourney, CCM should be fired on the spot. That would be a major coaching failure with all the talent he has.

Finally someone reasonable! (someone who agrees with me) How does his post get a like when I said the same thing :)

that's not a goal (aim, end, target, ambition, aspiration)

I will agree that it is definitely a reasonable goal for this team, if you will agree that like it or not upsets happen EVERY year in March.? deal?

Just don't start losing hope in this years team after their first loss. Heck we all want them to live up to expectation.

I will agree that it is definitely a reasonable goal for this team, if you will agree that like it or not upsets happen EVERY year in March.? deal?

Just don't start losing hope in this years team after their first loss. Heck we all want them to live up to expectation.

Yeah, I will agree with that! I am the most optimistic person I know, always sticking around to the last second hoping for a miracle. I never lose hope until it's over.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back