3 Keys to this Season

Credit to Barton if he can get his assist numbers up where he says he wants them to be. I still think his three point shooting will be a much bigger help to the Vols than his distribution, though.

Credit to Barton if he can get his assist numbers up where he says he wants them to be. I still think his three point shooting will be a much bigger help to the Vols than his distribution, though.

His defense will be the biggest help. Now Richardson doesn't have to guard the other teams pg. That's going to be huge.

His quickness has me really excited. I'm ready to see him and Jordy on some fast breaks :)

His defense will be the biggest help. Now Richardson doesn't have to guard the other teams pg. That's going to be huge.

Staying focused in man defense was an issue for him last season against quicker PGs. Nothing that a bit of focus in the off-season won't clear up.

"But Barton’s role was different there. And he doesn’t have to average six or seven assists to be valuable."

I don't agree with that statement about Barton. The Vols don't need him to score, well maybe take a few 3's, on a kick out from the post. The Vols need a passing point guard. I think that they need him to average about 5-7 assist a game. There are too many weapons on the starting 5 to have a need for him to be a scorer. I think he will step up to the job, and you will see an increase in his assist average vs his stats at Memphis. His defense will be good, as long as he doesn't gamble too much. If he does, that will put a lot of un-needed fouls on the front court, and there is a significant drop off in talent in the front court after the starters.

"But Barton’s role was different there. And he doesn’t have to average six or seven assists to be valuable."

I don't agree with that statement about Barton. The Vols don't need him to score, well maybe take a few 3's, on a kick out from the post. The Vols need a passing point guard. I think that they need him to average about 5-7 assist a game. There are too many weapons on the starting 5 to have a need for him to be a scorer. I think he will step up to the job, and you will see an increase in his assist average vs his stats at Memphis. His defense will be good, as long as he doesn't gamble too much. If he does, that will put a lot of un-needed fouls on the front court, and there is a significant drop off in talent in the front court after the starters.

Unless you guys want to continue to struggle against zone defenses, you're going to need him shooting the three. Besides McRae, does UT have another 3 pt threat?

He was always a great zone buster for us.

You'll be surprised at how good Thompson is...

Unless you guys want to continue to struggle against zone defenses, you're going to need him shooting the three. Besides McRae, does UT have another 3 pt threat?

Thompson, Hubbs, and Richardson improved his shot over the summer. Also Edwards if he sees any minutes. You're just trying your hardest to find something negative to say about our team...like always

Reactions: 2 people
Thompson, Hubbs, and Richardson improved his shot over the summer. Also Edwards if he sees any minutes. You're just trying your hardest to find something negative to say about our team...like always

Huh? What I'm trying to say is that Barton will step in and most likely be your best three point shooter right off the bat.

Thompson and Hubbs may both shoot well, but they've haven't even played a D-1 game yet.

Richardson shot .214 from three last season. If he's one of the Vol's best shooters, then you're REALLY going to like Barton's shot.

Huh? What I'm trying to say is that Barton will step in and most likely be your best three point shooter right off the bat.

Thompson and Hubbs may both shoot well, but they've haven't even played a D-1 game yet.

Richardson shot .214 from three last season. If he's one of the Vol's best shooters, then you're REALLY going to like Barton's shot.

Our zone buster offense will be Barton ,McRae and Hubbs.
One of the 3 will be hot on any given night.
If all 3, zone defenses won't fare well.

If Trae Golden can average 4.5 assists per game I'm confident Barton can average 5+, especially considering the increase in weapons around him.

I'm just hoping he can keep the turnovers down, defend his position, and continue to be a 40+% 3 point shooter.

Our zone buster offense will be Barton ,McRae and Hubbs.
One of the 3 will be hot on any given night.
If all 3, zone defenses won't fare well.

My point exactly. When McRae was hitting, he'd make he'd make 8/12, 3/6, 6/6, etc., but when he was off there was no one else to shoot UT out of a zone (Not even McBee, he didn't shoot well enough away from TBA).

Now, even if Hubbs struggles to find his shot this season, you've got Barton who is a 40%+ shooter. I think that will be way more beneficial than the assists he dishes.

Reactions: 2 people
My point exactly. When McRae was hitting, he'd make he'd make 8/12, 3/6, 6/6, etc., but when he was off there was no one else to shoot UT out of a zone (Not even McBee, he didn't shoot well enough away from TBA).

Now, even if Hubbs struggles to find his shot this season, you've got Barton who is a 40%+ shooter. I think that will be way more beneficial than the assists he dishes.

I agree with MC. Barton's shooting will be an asset. Perhaps not a necessary asset every night, but an available and valuable one when we need to break up a zone.

Thompson also will provide an excellent shot, but I doubt he sees more than 10-12 minutes a game at first. He really needs to add strength and some bulk, but he's a coach's son, so I think he is smart and will make good decisions in addition to being, perhaps the best (most accurate) shooter on the team by season's end.

MC isn't very impressed by Thompson, so he may throw added emphasis on Barton's scoring/shooting as well for that reason.

Richardson may be the best story here besides Maymon. I didn't really have high hopes for hime his freshmen year, however, he has done nothing but surprise me. Now if he adds a good three point shot as well, lookout.

If Barton is averaging double figures in scoring, then the Vols are having trouble. Martins hasn't built this team to be an 80+ points team. So if he is scoring that much, then there has to be multiple people in the starting 5 that are struggling.

To me, the Zone buster in for the Vols is Maymon in the high post. He is a great post passer (should see more back cuts) , and good enough ball handler to take most 4's off the dribble.

I agree with MC. Barton's shooting will be an asset. Perhaps not a necessary asset every night, but an available and valuable one when we need to break up a zone.

Thompson also will provide an excellent shot, but I doubt he sees more than 10-12 minutes a game at first. He really needs to add strength and some bulk, but he's a coach's son, so I think he is smart and will make good decisions in addition to being, perhaps the best (most accurate) shooter on the team by season's end.

MC isn't very impressed by Thompson, so he may throw added emphasis on Barton's scoring/shooting as well for that reason.

Re: Thompson, my dig on him is not his shooting. If you're a good shooter in HS (if your technique is sound), you'll most likely continue to be a good shooter in college, even if a steeper learning curve applies to the other aspects of your game.

I just haven't seen Thompson shoot much, so I don't have an opinion on how much he'll be able to help bust a zone.

If Barton is averaging double figures in scoring, then the Vols are having trouble. Martins hasn't built this team to be an 80+ points team. So if he is scoring that much, then there has to be multiple people in the starting 5 that are struggling.

To me, the Zone buster in for the Vols is Maymon in the high post. He is a great post passer (should see more back cuts) , and good enough ball handler to take most 4's off the dribble.

If Barton is scoring in double figures, then that means he is scoring uber-efficiently, which is only a good thing for the Vols.

Counzo won't give Barton the greenlight to put up 10 shots per game, unless UT is facing a zone defense. If Barton is scoring 10+ per game, UT is faring well.

Maymon in the high post is well and good, but if UT can't shoot the three, there is nothing to keep the high defenders from simply collapsing on Maymon.

Re: Thompson, my dig on him is not his shooting. If you're a good shooter in HS (if your technique is sound), you'll most likely continue to be a good shooter in college, even if a steeper learning curve applies to the other aspects of your game.

I just haven't seen Thompson shoot much, so I don't have an opinion on how much he'll be able to help bust a zone.

Understood, and I agree. He shot 56-131 (43%) as a senior, so unless he just wets the bed as a collegiate player, I'd expect at least modest success as a shooter at Tennessee. But, stranger things have happened. John Winchester comes to mind.

I don't think this team is going to average 80+ ppg, but it does seem as if there are simply too many offensive weapons available for this not to be his highest scoring team ever, especially if Barton is able to lead a break better than Golden (which seems like a mathematical certainty).

Understood, and I agree. He shot 56-131 (43%) as a senior, so unless he just wets the bed as a collegiate player, I'd expect at least modest success as a shooter at Tennessee. But, stranger things have happened. John Winchester comes to mind.
Well Armani Moore shot close to 40% as a senior and that hasn't transitioned that well this far.

If Barton is scoring in double figures, then that means he is scoring uber-efficiently, which is only a good thing for the Vols.

Counzo won't give Barton the greenlight to put up 10 shots per game, unless UT is facing a zone defense. If Barton is scoring 10+ per game, UT is faring well.

Maymon in the high post is well and good, but if UT can't shoot the three, there is nothing to keep the high defenders from simply collapsing on Maymon.

Good point about them collapsing, but it goes to my point that the other starters must be struggling. Every shot Barton (as probably the 4th or 5th scoring option) takes that isn't a kick out from the post, fastbreak, or against a zone is a shot that Mcrae didn't take/missed, or a missed opportunity to feed the post (#1 priority).

I am not saying that the Vols won't appreciate having a 40% 3 point shooter, but what I am saying is that I just don't think that it is something they will need night in and night out. What I do think they need night in and night out is low turnovers, and getting the ball to the scorers in good positions to score from the point position.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back