Most to Prove

ShowSomePride

Top 10 Tuesday: Teams with most to prove - ESPN

3. "Tennessee: Last fall, when myself, Myron Medcalf, Fran Fraschilla and Joe Lunardi convened for our first-ever college basketball draft, I got lost in the Jarnell Stokes hype. A young freshman who joined Tennessee a semester early in 2011-12, Stokes had helped the Vols surge late in a previously nondescript season, and looked poised to dominate the low block all season in 2012-13. Not so much. Part of that was Stokes' fault -- his desire to prove his power forward bonafides to NBA scouts took him away from the basket, which is a bad idea -- and part of it was the injury to senior forward Jeronne Maymon, who redshirted thanks to a knee injury. After a brief, well-reasoned dalliance with the NBA this spring, Stokes is back, as is Maymon, as is leading scorer and All-SEC first-teamer Jordan McRae -- there's a huge year ahead in Knoxville, Tenn. Now the Vols have to make good on it."

Reactions: 5 people
Not kidding. I EXPECT Top 3 in the SEC, which will be improved especially at the top, and Top 15 nationally. With the current roster, assuming no major injuries, we should be a top 15 team. Period.

Reactions: 2 people
Wasn't Stokes just under the basket all year long? The article said he was away from the basket, he was more away from the basket his freshmen year, he was shooting running hooks, shot 3s and mid ranges.

Should have a great season. I have as high as hopes as I did in 2010.

Top 10 Tuesday: Teams with most to prove - ESPN

3. "Tennessee: Last fall, when myself, Myron Medcalf, Fran Fraschilla and Joe Lunardi convened for our first-ever college basketball draft, I got lost in the Jarnell Stokes hype. A young freshman who joined Tennessee a semester early in 2011-12, Stokes had helped the Vols surge late in a previously nondescript season, and looked poised to dominate the low block all season in 2012-13. Not so much. Part of that was Stokes' fault -- his desire to prove his power forward bonafides to NBA scouts took him away from the basket, which is a bad idea -- and part of it was the injury to senior forward Jeronne Maymon, who redshirted thanks to a knee injury. After a brief, well-reasoned dalliance with the NBA this spring, Stokes is back, as is Maymon, as is leading scorer and All-SEC first-teamer Jordan McRae -- there's a huge year ahead in Knoxville, Tenn. Now the Vols have to make good on it."

Uh, I must have watched a different Stokes then. I thought he lacked polish and consistent effort. The guards, for their parts, had trouble entering the ball into the post even when he did establish good position. But I rarely had a problem with where he was on the court - he spent most of his time in the paint, and that's exactly where I want a 270 pound center with a strength advantage every night. Don't know why the writer thought he was trying to play on the perimeter, because that wasn't the case.

Agree with the rest of the article though, and agree with the expectations. This is a talented team. Hope they make the most of it.

I don't think Stokes was committed to playing his role as a bruiser until midway through the season. I believe that was the point the writer was trying to make.

I don't think Stokes was committed to playing his role as a bruiser until midway through the season. I believe that was the point the writer was trying to make.

Correct. He got off to a very slow start last year and was kinda lost on what Martin wanted. When he committed to staying down low that's when he went on that run of multiple double doubles in a row.

Not kidding. I EXPECT Top 3 in the SEC, which will be improved especially at the top, and Top 15 nationally. With the current roster, assuming no major injuries, we should be a top 15 team. Period.

Need to come out of the gates swinging, do that and it could be a great season.

Need to come out of the gates swinging, do that and it could be a great season.

Agreed. The early schedule is great. I love playing tough OOC opponents. Would love to see us come into conference play with no more than 2 losses. That is asking a lot but I expect us to play well and play well early given the experience on our team.

Should be a fun year!

Correct. He got off to a very slow start last year and was kinda lost on what Martin wanted. When he committed to staying down low that's when he went on that run of multiple double doubles in a row.
Slow start for the expectations on Stokes, or slow start for a PF/C in general? There were times when Stokes was looking promising then other times where he wasn't.

Slow start for the expectations on Stokes, or slow start for a PF/C in general? There were times when Stokes was looking promising then other times where he wasn't.

Why would I compare Stokes to an average/general PF/C. He's supposed to be better than that, therefore I'm going to expect better than Yemi numbers.

Why would I compare Stokes to an average/general PF/C. He's supposed to be better than that, therefore I'm going to expect better than Yemi numbers.
What? Of course you expect better results than Yemi, but there's your proto-typical 4 year PF/C who averages 7/8/9ppg but then there's a guy like Stokes who averages way better.

If you would hop off your high horse for a second and read what I'm posting. When you said Stokes had a very slow start last year, were you saying that he had a slow start by high expectations of Stokes or that he had a slow start in general play? He started the season pretty well w/o Maymon. His fourth game he had 24pts/12rbds against Umass which at the time was a top 50 team.

I was just curious on why you said he had a slow start.

Agreed. To that point, I think Stokes' biggest problem last year was the loss of Maymon. Seems to me he played better with Maymon on the court.

Reactions: 1 person
What? Of course you expect better results than Yemi, but there's your proto-typical 4 year PF/C who averages 7/8/9ppg but then there's a guy like Stokes who averages way better.

If you would hop off your high horse for a second and read what I'm posting. When you said Stokes had a very slow start last year, were you saying that he had a slow start by high expectations of Stokes or that he had a slow start in general play? He started the season pretty well w/o Maymon. His fourth game he had 24pts/12rbds against Umass which at the time was a top 50 team.

I was just curious on why you said he had a slow start.

You just picked one game, what did he do against Oklahoma state or Georgetown?

He had a slow start for what was expected of him IMO, I'm not gonna compare his start to an average PF/C because he's expected to be better than an average PF/C isn't he?

Through 8 games he averaged 11pts 7rbd, he should perform better than that, as the writer stated.

We all know we have talent but...no one ever talks about the chemistry this team has. The team is always hanging out together. For everything I have seen everyone gets along with each other. You have 2 big time leaders (Maymon & McRae) with the possibility to have Barton and Stokes be a leader too. Guys we are in for a huge season I can feel it.

My biggest wish would be beat UK at rupp, then in the SEC tourny, then somehow meet up in the NCAA's and beat them again :) I hate UK!

Reactions: 3 people

Also, remember CCM went to the SEC about how Stokes was being officiated in games. I believe this helped allow Stokes to progress down in the blocks also.

Reactions: 1 person
Man my hopes are so high for the team this year, they have the chance to be special.

1. Winning the SEC tourny would be huge, we haven't done that in a while.
2. Making the NCAA tourney (accomplishing 1 gets us there, and with a great seed too.)
3. Hopefully we make it at least to the sweet 16.
4. Hubbs especially becomes a force on the team this year so next year he's ready to step up and be the player we all know he's capable of.

Also, remember CCM went to the SEC about how Stokes was being officiated in games. I believe this helped allow Stokes to progress down in the blocks also.

True. I'm glad Martin did that, even though it's kinda whiny. He still gets fouled a lot with no whistle.

VN Store

Back