Top 25 teams with point guard concerns

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
From Jeff Goodman at ESPN

Tennessee Volunteers

Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin is in the unenviable position of choosing between an unheralded freshman and a one-season stopgap who could barely get onto the floor for rival Memphis. The Vols are loaded with Jordan McRae, Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon back and the addition of talented freshman wing Robert Hubbs.

The question is whether freshman Darius Thompson and graduate transfer Antonio Barton can give Tennessee enough at that spot. Barton averaged 5.6 points and just 1.1 assist a season ago in limited playing time (16.7 minutes per game) for Memphis. Let’s face it: He’s a quality backup guard. Thompson is a wild-card, a guy who possesses the length, but he’ll need to learn how to handle pressure in the SEC, become tougher and also improve his ability to defend.

I think that's a pretty fair unbiased opinion. No doubt PG is the biggest question mark on this years team, if we get great leadership and production from that position this team can beat anybody.

We don't need great offensive production. Just someone who can handle the rock and distribute it. We have plenty of options. There shouldn't be much of a scoring need from our PG this year.

Reactions: 2 people
We don't need great offensive production. Just someone who can handle the rock and distribute it. We have plenty of options. There shouldn't be much of a scoring need from our PG this year.

Take care of the ball, be a leader, hit the open 3 and play defense....that's all I ask.

Reactions: 1 person
Take care of the ball, be a leader, hit the open 3 and play defense....that's all I ask.

This. Being a leader is most important IMO. Point guard is the most important position on most basketball teams. I'd also prefer someone who isn't a headcase the way golden was.

Jeff Goodman's opinion isn't all that unbiased. He's hardly ever had anything good to say about the Vols in the past, so this negative slant on our PG position is not unexpected coming from him.

Barton's numbers may not look overly impressive, but he brings intangibles to the game beginning with experience. The concern will be in the backup position if Barton gets in foul trouble or injured.

Barton's numbers may not look overly impressive, but he brings intangibles to the game beginning with experience. The concern will be in the backup position if Barton gets in foul trouble or injured.

true. also, a change of scenery could potentially go a long way in helping him play better. Sometimes where you are gets stale and you just need new surroundings

I think that's a pretty fair unbiased opinion. No doubt PG is the biggest question mark on this years team, if we get great leadership and production from that position this team can beat anybody.

I don't care for Goodman but the remarks aren't far off. As far as barely getting on the court at Memphis, Barton was never going to get more PT that Jackson for several reasons. Best thing that could have happened for Barton was for Jackson to transfer when he threatened to. Then Geron Johnson came along and pushed Antonio a little further down the bench. AB absolutely made the right choice to transfer. For someone that was once thought of as a throw in with his brother, I think Barton can be a quality PG.

AB can run the point and score. His numbers at Memphis are a little deceptive because he wasn't counted on to run the team. I think his weak point may be defense. If he can improve that a bit and prove he can guard the 1, you've got a good one. I think he'll fit in well.

AB can run the point and score. His numbers at Memphis are a little deceptive because he wasn't counted on to run the team. I think his weak point may be defense. If he can improve that a bit and prove he can guard the 1, you've got a good one. I think he'll fit in well.

Odd because most seem to think that's his biggest strength.

Those people haven't watched him play. I told a few posters on this board that I didn't understand why there was buzz surrounding Barton as a "defensive stopper".

One the reasons that Jackson stayed on the Court when Barton couldn't is that Barton didn't seem quick enough to guard the 1 or big enough to guard the 2.

His handles/distribution and defense are definitely the biggest knocks on him.

Those people haven't watched him play. I told a few posters on this board that I didn't understand why there was buzz surrounding Barton as a "defensive stopper".

One the reasons that Jackson stayed on the Court when Barton couldn't is that Barton didn't seem quick enough to guard the 1 or big enough to guard the 2.

His handles/distribution and defense are definitely the biggest knocks on him.

I think a few posters have had this discussion with you, but you're comparing him to Joe Jackson, and were comparing him to Trae Golden (who was quite possibly the slowest PG to ever play, as well as having horrible handles). The early reports out of workouts and scrimmages have been glowing, and mainly in regards to his defense.

I feel confident in saying that Barton will be an improvement in both defense and handles compared to what we previously had.

Last edited:
LOL at Memphis at #16. Comments are humorous. Not getting any national respect. They have top 5 talent, but their coach has dropped them 10 spots. He's a joke.

College basketball Top 25: Sporting News' preseason rankings for 2013-14 - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News
You guys always wonder why Memphis fans come on here trolling/spamming yet you post stuff like this. They have a good coach, is he Calapari? No. He's a good recruiter, he just seems to have problems putting it together. I wouldn't consider him a joke, regardless of me being a vol fan.

You guys always wonder why Memphis fans come on here trolling/spamming yet you post stuff like this. They have a good coach, is he Calapari? No. He's a good recruiter, he just seems to have problems putting it together. I wouldn't consider him a joke, regardless of me being a vol fan.

He can't coach dude.

Reactions: 1 person

If Martin were pulling in top 10 talent and getting ousted in the round of 64 every year, we'd be saying the same thing.

I watched him for 3 years. His strong point was shooting. He came out of games many times for defensive reasons. It's hard to get your rythmn for any aspect of the game knowing you'll only be in for a few minutes. Hopefully it will be different as a starter. Like I said, I think he'll be fine in all aspects of the game (certainly better than Golden).

I wasn't pointing out anything negative about AB. I expect him to do really well.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back