Jarnell Stokes in 2014 mock draft

RockyTop22

ESPN put Stokes in the first round at 23 overall in their very early 2014 mock draft

Jarnell Stokes
Houston Rockets
COLLEGE: Tennessee
HT: 6-8
WT: 250
POS: PF

Rockets' forecast record: 53-29

Analysis: The Rockets are set at virtually every position, but Stokes could be a good fit at power forward. He is very efficient, has a soft touch around the basket, and will be one of the more NBA-ready players in this draft.

NBA - Andrew Wiggins tops 2014 mock draft 1.0 - ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
glad he stuck around for another season.maybe he will improve the parts of his game that he needs to in order make it at the next level.

Really? His touch is pretty soft on layups/tips, that's why they usually go in.

??? Ummm the man has zero touch outside of 5 feet. His hook shot looks like he's trying to pick off a runner

It's way early to know, but what's the consensus on how close this is to where he'll end up being projected? I think his numbers should definitely get a bump if for no other reason because we have a much more balanced team and Maymon sharing the paint. I don't know enough about the 2014 draft class to get a feel for what his ceiling could be though. Maybe nobody does at this point.

It's way early to know, but what's the consensus on how close this is to where he'll end up being projected? I think his numbers should definitely get a bump if for no other reason because we have a much more balanced team and Maymon sharing the paint. I don't know enough about the 2014 draft class to get a feel for what his ceiling could be though. Maybe nobody does at this point.

I'm with you here. But my uneducated opinion says the 1st round pick analysis would be the ceiling, and the consensus would be more like mid to late 2nd round.

Having said that, if Stokes can find, borrow, or steal a mid-range jump shot from somewhere please disregard my previous statement. I hope he does btw.

I'm with you here. But my uneducated opinion says the 1st round pick analysis would be the ceiling, and the consensus would be more like mid to late 2nd round.

Having said that, if Stokes can find, borrow, or steal a mid-range jump shot from somewhere please disregard my previous statement. I hope he does btw.

Before last year, he did have that shot. He says one of the reasons he came back is because people said he cant shoot, and he knows he can.

Before last year, he did have that shot. He says one of the reasons he came back is because people said he cant shoot, and he knows he can.

hmmm, I sure hope he is/was right. But the proof is in the puddin for me. And I have lost a few brain cells since last season, but I sure don't remember many/any 10-15 ft jump shots he made in a game.(other than a free throw)

Please correct me if I'm wrong tho. :hi:

hmmm, I sure hope he is/was right. But the proof is in the puddin for me. And I have lost a few brain cells since last season, but I sure don't remember many/any 10-15 ft jump shots he made in a game.(other than a free throw)

Please correct me if I'm wrong tho. :hi:

No you're right, he only took maybe 5 midrange shots all season, that's his point. Scouts evaluation was he can't shoot, because he wasn't shooting. He was upset because he says he knows he can shoot, he just didn't last year. Martin told him to stay down in the paint, therefore he rarely had the opportunity and felt confident enough to shoot a 15 footer. I expect that philosophy is going to change a bit this year and you will see him getting a couple midrange opportunities a game.

No you're right, he only took maybe 5 midrange shots all season, that's his point. Scouts evaluation was he can't shoot, because he wasn't shooting. He was upset because he says he knows he can shoot, he just didn't last year. Martin told him to stay down in the paint, therefore he rarely had the opportunity and felt confident enough to shoot a 15 footer. I expect that philosophy is going to change a bit this year and you will see him getting a couple midrange opportunities a game.[/QUOTE]

Cool, gotcha.

Having Maymon back will cause Stokes to have to clear out occasionally. And Maymon is pretty good at finding an open guy. So like you, I fully expect Stokes to have a lot more opportunities this yr.

He did show nice touch on the 12-15 foot jumper his freshman year. Especially on the running hook.

He just never shot them last season.

No you're right, he only took maybe 5 midrange shots all season, that's his point. Scouts evaluation was he can't shoot, because he wasn't shooting. He was upset because he says he knows he can shoot, he just didn't last year. Martin told him to stay down in the paint, therefore he rarely had the opportunity and felt confident enough to shoot a 15 footer. I expect that philosophy is going to change a bit this year and you will see him getting a couple midrange opportunities a game.

If your analysis is correct, then CCM is going to have a hard time recruiting 5* post players in the future. I would think a coach has to develop the elite tallent player's NBA skill sets while their in college along with using them to fill the needs of the team.

Due to his lack of height and jumping ability, everyone and their brother knows Stokes has to have a 10-15' jump shot for success in the NBA. CCM has to make a concerted effort to showcase Stokes' ability to do this in games this season. Stokes' contribution to TN bball is huge, TN bball needs to contribute back to Stokes also. If CCM doesn't, then future players with Stokes' goals / abilities shouldn't come to TN. Its got to be a 2 way street.

If your analysis is correct, then CCM is going to have a hard time recruiting 5* post players in the future. I would think a coach has to develop the elite tallent player's NBA skill sets while their in college along with using them to fill the needs of the team.

Due to his lack of height and jumping ability, everyone and their brother knows Stokes has to have a 10-15' jump shot for success in the NBA. CCM has to make a concerted effort to showcase Stokes' ability to do this in games this season. Stokes' contribution to TN bball is huge, TN bball needs to contribute back to Stokes also. If CCM doesn't, then future players with Stokes' goals / abilities shouldn't come to TN. Its got to be a 2 way street.

I read through this a couple of times to look for a legit reason a recruit would be discouraged or turned off by the way CCM handled Stokes. But Im left with more questions than anything else.

1. Why would a 5* foward having to live in the paint discourage a guy? And this was mostly due to having another stud big out all yr.
2. Why would they care if Stokes ends up in the league?
3. Would you say the same thing about a 5* big that left Memphis but didn't develop a jumper?

I'm guessing that was part of CCM's pitch to help convince him to stay another year. We'll probably be seeing Maymon doing a decent amount of the dirty work inside so Stokes can show off more of his game.

The addition of a healthy Maymon will free some of the load up and should allow Stokes to be that more dangerous. Two post players that are skilled can really compliment each other. I can see Stokes putting up huge numbers this season.

I don't disagree.

You saw his freshman year have the freedom to take some midrange shots, and if you recall he even attempted some 3 point shots. Last year he attempted about as many mid range shots as he did 3 point shots his freshman year.

I think when we lost Maymon, and started playing a lot of 4 guard lineups, Martin realized Stokes was his only rebounder. He unfortunately had to do what was best for the team, and not necessarily Stokes, and tell him to stay down low. He pretty much had to rebound both the 4&5 positions alot of the time due to having an undersized 4 out there. This kept Stokes from having many looks offensively from the 15 foot range, which ultimately hurt his stock.

As I've already said, I think with Maymon returning, you'll see Stokes get alot more mid range looks.

Everyone talks about stokes' height. There are a ton of 6'8 pf's in the nba.

That's the issue, he's not got an offensive or defensive game (that he's shown) to play PF. I can't picture Stokes trying to guard LBJ or Melo, that would get ugly. Stokes is gonna be a 5 in the league almost guaranteed, except for nights where the opposing team has a less than average athletic 4.

He's in the mold of Dejaun Blair, and there's not anything wrong with that for Stokes.

I read through this a couple of times to look for a legit reason a recruit would be discouraged or turned off by the way CCM handled Stokes. But Im left with more questions than anything else.

1. Why would a 5* foward having to live in the paint discourage a guy? And this was mostly due to having another stud big out all yr.
2. Why would they care if Stokes ends up in the league?
3. Would you say the same thing about a 5* big that left Memphis but didn't develop a jumper?

1. 5* recruits all hope to hit the NBA jackpot. Calipari gets them in each year and a new group shows up the next season. If I have a realistic chance of going to the next level, then I'll sign with a college coach who helps get me there. If I'm a PF and need skills outside of 5', then I'm going to the program where the coach is committed to developing those skills for me. Really no different than selecting a college based on the profession you want to pursue.

2. If you want more 5* tallent, then show them a history of the putting the 5* guys into the league if they play in your program.

3. Yes, Memphis or anywhere else. Harvard business school attracts many of the top students because of where they place their alumni.

He's in the mold of Dejaun Blair, and there's not anything wrong with that for Stokes.

Would have been interesting if Pearl had been able to ink Blair as I recall TN being the brides maid for him.

Stokes doesn't strike me as being as tenatious as Blair. Maybe a similar body (although Blair has a more developed upper body).

VN Store

Back