Antonio Barton interview transcript...

bleedingTNorange

Tennessee point guard Antonio Barton, who transferred from Memphis during the offseason, met with the media Thursday.

Story coming later on VolQuest and in The Daily Times. Until then, what he had to say:

On his final schools

“My final schools were Maryland, Texas A&M and Tennessee.”

On what stood out about Tennessee

“The toughness of the coach and players. During the whole recruiting process, the players, they texted me everyday and we talked as if they knew me all their life. That just made me feel comfortable and warm.”

On which players specifically reached out to him

“Guys like Jordan [McRae], J-Rich [Josh Richardson], Derek Reese, Jerron Maymon, almost everybody.”

On what those players were telling him

“Just what to expect being here, how far we can go with me adding on to the team.”

On a what stood out from those messages

“Just when I finally let the media know that I was going to transfer, [Tennessee players] texted me right away saying that I’ve got to come here, it’s a perfect opportunity and we can go very far.”

On how he’s been accepted since the transfer

“They accepted me as if I’d been here since freshman [year]. Those guys, we come in, we compete everyday, off the court we sit around have fun, go out to eat, everything.”

On if Memphis’ wins over Tennessee ever come up in the conversation

“I didn’t think so. What happens on the court stays on the court. Off the court I don’t hate anybody, it was no bad blood against those guys. But on the court it was business.”

On how often he reminds his Tennessee teammates of Memphis wins over the Vols

“They bring it up more than me. We’ll sit in the locker room after workouts and just talk about old games and stuff like that, how many overtimes we’ve went to. They bring it up more than I do.”

On the talent this Tennessee team has

“We have a lot of talent. The newcomers, the guys that are returning, we have talent in all areas. From the guards down low, even guys coming off the bench. We have the team.”

On the expectations of being a good team

“We’re just going to take it one day at a time and build up to March.”

On playing at Thompson-Boling Arena, if that was a factor in his decision and what he remembers about those games

“My freshman year we didn’t have such a good year here, it was one of the worst losses I took in my college career. Just coming in, it was a packed environment, I loved the environment, the support, the fans. That’s something I just want to play in front of.”

On if it feels weird wearing Tennessee orange after a career at Memphis

“Still a little weird to go from blue to orange, the big rivalry. But I’m getting used to it.”

On the reaction from Memphis coach Josh Pastnor, his Memphis teammates and Memphis fans after hearing he was transferring to Tennessee

“Everybody was shocked. Some people had their negative, some people had their positives. You can’t listen to a lot of people. I just accepted it. You can’t please everybody in life.”

On how his brother, Will Barton, responded to the news of his transfer

“He was happy. He was one of the biggest supporters, told me to come here. He said it was going to be a positive fit for me and I could do a lot of positive things here. So he was one of my biggest fans of coming here.”

On the differences on and off the court between Tennessee and Memphis

“Memphis is a small campus, and here is huge. I do a lot of walking to my classes. It took me a while, I’m still not used to it, but I’m getting there.”

“The training is a lot different. Coming from Memphis we didn’t do a lot of weights, a lot of cardio and stuff, military training. So coming here, to actually be able to do weights again, that transitions a lot.”

On why he decided to leave Memphis

“Me being able to graduate in three years and have the opportunity to go somewhere else and play right away without sitting out. It was just something I wanted to do and have a fresh start.”

On how he feels like he fits in with the Tennessee team

“They just wanted me to come in and be that floor general, be the coach on the floor without actually having coach on the floor. That’s what they expect.”

On going from a basketball school in Memphis to a football school in Tennessee

“Totally different. I went to the first game and I felt like I was actually playing. We sat close and, just the tailgating and everything, something I’m not very used to.”

On how many football games he went to at Memphis

“I can count on my hand, I’d say about three or four. I always went to the first game of the season.”

On if he knew the players on Tennessee’s roster well before deciding to transfer

“We talked. Some guys I met at camps and stuff like that, but we didn’t have that relationship, relationship. Over the summer we built a strong relationship, even though I wasn’t here the entire summer. We talked, they told me how the summers workouts were going, how the newcomers were coming along well.”

On if he can provide consistency at the point guard position

“I’ve always been consistent in my college career. But I’m just going to come out and compete and play my game, not do anything out of my ordinary.”

On how he would describe his game

“I’m just tough on both ends of the court, both offensively and defensively. I make a lot of guys better around me.”

On where his toughness comes from

“My homecoming. My background, the life that I grew up with. I had to be tough on and off the court.”

On the talent on this roster factoring into his decision

“That was a big key in me coming here. Me transferring, I didn’t want to go anywhere where I’d score all the points and we wouldn’t win. I wanted to come somewhere and compete and being a contender for a national championship.”

On if he was surprised by Tennessee’s talent level

“Not at all. I’ve watched these guys grow over the years, I’ve played against them. I knew what I was walking into.”

On if this team has the talent to play for a national championship

“We have the talent, it’s just up to us to come in and work and get better as a team everyday.”

On if he has a lot to prove to himself

“I’ve been playing with a chip on my shoulder all my life. Guys saying I was a throw in coming into Memphis with my brother. I don’t let it get me down, I just use it as motivation.”

On being such a sought-after transfer after Tennessee three years after being considered a ‘throw-in’ at Memphis with his brother

“It’s just something I knew I was capable of all my life. I just was always a blue collar guy, didn’t get the most publicity, but I earned everything that I got.”

Reactions: 7 people
I'm liking this part:

“That was a big key in me coming here. Me transferring, I didn’t want to go anywhere where I’d score all the points and we wouldn’t win. I wanted to come somewhere and compete and being a contender for a national championship.”

On if this team has the talent to play for a national championship

“We have the talent, it’s just up to us to come in and work and get better as a team everyday.”

Reactions: 2 people
I hope Barton has a great season for the Vols, i have nothing but respect for him.

The fast break with Barton Mcrae Hubbs and Richardson combo shoukd be fun to watch. Having Stokes or Maymon run that trailer position should be just as fun. Like Barton said the talent with the first 7 or 8 is there just have to make it gel

Antonio is a great person, this young man will put a lot of smiles on UT fans faces on and off the court.

Call me crazy if you want but honestly I think this team is capable of making it to the Elite 8 or Final Four at best if we play hard every game. Like Barton said, we have the talent to win, it's just up to us to prove it.

Reactions: 1 person
What I like is that we will know early IMO what this team is capable of.

Yup I agree Xavier then the Atlantis tourney will either have us looking like contenders or pretenders. I'd love to come out of the Atlantis tourney undefeated. I'm ready to start the season.

On the expectations of being a good team

“We’re just going to take it one day at a time and build up to March.”

This quote stands out to me as well. Not getting to far ahead of yourself but also saying we plan on playing in March.

Subject to injury issues and if the bench can step up in key spots - this team can make the Final Four. Offense should be fine. Defense and rebounding will carry the day.

What I like is that we will know early IMO what this team is capable of.
Do you mean capable tournament wise or just capable throughout the season? Not trying to like pick you out of all the posts or anything but Wichita before conference play was not looking anything close to a final four team. As we all know, the tournament is about whose hot and whose not. :twocents:

Do you mean capable tournament wise or just capable throughout the season? Not trying to like pick you out of all the posts or anything but Wichita before conference play was not looking anything close to a final four team. As we all know, the tournament is about whose hot and whose not. :twocents:

Very true.

I guess I just don't see us taking a similar path, but I suppose it's possible. I guess what I'm saying is, before I jump with both feet in, to the "this may be the year" group...I wanna see us win on the road against a quality team...and take down a top 10 team on a neutral floor. If we exit atlantis undefeated, I will likely look into purchasing some final four tickets :)

Very true.

I guess I just don't see us taking a similar path, but I suppose it's possible. I guess what I'm saying is, before I jump with both feet in, to the "this may be the year" group...I wanna see us win on the road against a quality team...and take down a top 10 team on a neutral floor. If we exit atlantis undefeated, I will likely look into purchasing some final four tickets :)

I agree.

I read this and think Barton wants to make the most out of his time with the basketball team this year. There aren't any short cuts to take in being a great team, and I think he will do all he can to make this roster better.

Is it March yet? :)

I'm trying really hard not to let my hopes for this team sky-rocket, but it's really hard. It just seems like everything is falling together right now.

Has anyone been able to catch them semi-practicing with Barton? Gotta hope this team can jell quickly with Antonio running the point.

I'm trying really hard not to let my hopes for this team sky-rocket, but it's really hard. It just seems like everything is falling together right now.

I can understand that. I feel like we may take some lumps early with chemistry issues. Even with a veteran PG, he's still learning a new system and they really have to get comfortable together in game situations. Glad they have the chemistry off the court. Historically Martin's teams get hot near the end of the season. We have the talent to start strong and finish really hot come Tourney time.

How much depth will this team have, at guard and otherwise. You don't beat good teams, or advance far in the tourney, unless you have quality depth--minimum of 8 with serious PT, and three good guards.

VN Store

Back