New Rivals 150

Austin was a four star yesterday and a 3 star today...not sure there is much of a difference in his playing ability just because he has one less star beside his name. From what I saw of him the kid is a baller!

Austin 111th
Cofer 113th

Last edited:
This pisses me off.
Does it make you any less excited? Star ratings never tell you how they pan out, we know they're quality players just our recruiting class might receive a bit of criticism. The star rating system is stupid anyways (regardless of what happened here).

Seems like Cofer has been trending upwards by rivals, so it's very possible he ends up top 100 by rivals when it's all said and done.

As for star ratings being dumb...are they the be all, end all discussion, no. However, it has definitely been proven that your chances of being successful are far greater with a team full of top 150 guys than a team full of unranked players. There's a direct correlation typically between class rankings and successful teams.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like Cofer has been trending upwards by rivals, so it's very possible he ends up top 100 by rivals when it's all said and done.

As for star ratings being dumb...are they the be all, end all discussion, no. However, it has definitely been proven that your chances of being successful are far greater with a team full of top 150 guys than a team full of unranked players. There's a direct correlation typically between class rankings and successful teams.
Yes, but people take them like it's the holy bible. People were freaking out when Jalen Hurd gained a star, and it's annoying when you have people come on these boards and wine because "Martin can't recruit", "Can't get suffecient talent" etc. Obviously the higher rated players will likely turn out better but like you said it isn't the "end all discussion" type.

Yes, but people take them like it's the holy bible. People were freaking out when Jalen Hurd gained a star, and it's annoying when you have people come on these boards and wine because "Martin can't recruit", "Can't get suffecient talent" etc. Obviously the higher rated players will likely turn out better but like you said it isn't the "end all discussion" type.

Well then u probably shouldn't come to message boards....it can't all be roses and butterflies.

Questions will remain until he proves he can consistently get top 20 classes and/or consistently makes the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm too lazy to do the research but I have a hard time believing that there have not been multiple teams that have cracked the top 20 in recruiting in the past with 3 or more 3 Star recruits. If have 15+ 4 stars and a few 3 stars, I think the math will take care of itself.

I'm too lazy to do the research but I have a hard time believing that there have not been multiple teams that have cracked the top 20 in recruiting in the past with 3 or more 3 Star recruits. If have 15+ 4 stars and a few 3 stars, I think the math will take care of itself.

Huh?

Ask Witchy State what they think of the star system?

Wichita State has been to half as many NCAA tournaments as Tennessee. Is one tournament appearance every 5 years th goal of the Tennessee program?

Not knocking your post, I'm just not sure that Wichita State is the best example to use for a counter arguement in regards to the star system.

Last edited:
Ask Witchy State what they think of the star system?

True, but mid-majors have more time to develop kids than your average Big-6 program. A guy like Reese probably wouldn't see the court until his junior year at a mid-major but people are ready to run him off after one season knoxville.

True, but mid-majors have more time to develop kids than your average Big-6 program. A guy like Reese probably wouldn't see the court until his junior year at a mid-major but people are ready to run him off after one season knoxville.

We want him to contribute. Its not as much as wanting him gone as if we have the chance to upgrade at his spot why not

Wichita State has been to half as many NCAA tournaments as Tennessee. Is one tournament appearance every 5 years th goal of the Tennessee program?

Not knocking your post, I'm just not sure that Wichita State is the best example to use for a counter arguement in regards to the star system.
I'd take a final 4 appearance to 4 one and dones any day.

Star rankings in hoops are much more accurate in hoops than in football. They see these guys play each other in direct competition for multiple years in many cases. There's always gonna be hidden gems though.

I was more upset to see our guys drop after committing. Not saying I'm upset with Martin's recruiting. Just saying I was hoping to see Austin remain a 4* and hopefully another guy jump into 4* in this update. Even though I know that if Austin and Cofer were 10 spots higher they'd both be 4*.

I'd take a final 4 appearance to 4 one and dones any day.

They've been to 2 in 40 years...so you're saying you'd take a NCAA appearance 1/5 years, final 4 1/20 years vs. NCAA every year with sweet 16 runs or better mixed in?

I still favor the composite the most just because it is the most unbiased of the group...one reason for Cornish's drop was he didn't play with anyone in July. For a guy ranked around 150, not getting exposure gets you dropped.

Still very excited about this class.

They've been to 2 in 40 years...so you're saying you'd take a NCAA appearance 1/5 years, final 4 1/20 years vs. NCAA every year with sweet 16 runs or better mixed in?
My point in the statement was that they went to a final 4 with unrated 3 stars.
If you like the star system that's fine.

My point in the statement was that they went to a final 4 with unrated 3 stars.
If you like the star system that's fine.

There's always an exception to the rule. Probabilities are on your side if you are landing higher ranked guys, it's proven every year.

Well then u probably shouldn't come to message boards....it can't all be roses and butterflies.

Questions will remain until he proves he can consistently get top 20 classes and/or consistently makes the NCAA tourney.
This is a rebuilding program, progress happens over time. I'm saying we're getting quality recruits and people judge players by their star ratings and not how they actually play, therefore they come on the message boards and wine because they saw we have 3* players instead of 4*s. I'm not expecting 'roses and butterflies' especially on a board depicted for the state of Tennessee.

I still favor the composite the most just because it is the most unbiased of the group...one reason for Cornish's drop was he didn't play with anyone in July. For a guy ranked around 150, not getting exposure gets you dropped.

Still very excited about this class.

Didn't Cornish play in the Reebok and Nike Big Shot events in July? Reebok is one of the events where London impressed several of the scout services writers.

Didn't Cornish play in the Reebok and Nike Big Shot events in July? Reebok is one of the events where London impressed several of the scout services writers.

Cornish impressed too, but Rivals scout may not have been there.

VN Store

Back