ESPN on Jeronne Maymon

iKrager

Jeronne Maymon of Tennessee Volunteers -- I'm 100 percent for opener - ESPN

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon thinks he should be at 100 percent by the start of the season as he recovers from a knee injury that prevented him from playing last year.

"I feel good," Maymon said. "My body feels good. No pain. Nothing. I'm ready to go."

Tennessee opens the season Nov. 12 at Xavier as it tries to return to the NCAA tournament after back-to-back NIT appearances.

Maymon earned second-team all-Southeastern Conference honors two years ago before sitting out the entire 2012-13 season. Maymon said he isn't as explosive as he was before the injury, but the 6-foot-8 senior believes that will change as the season goes on.

"As of now, I'm not as explosive as I was, but I think I do a real good job of (mentally) slowing the game down and I think that helps me with my passes, getting to the hole and seeing different things that I didn't see before," Maymon said. "Sitting out a whole year really helps me visualize the game better. As the season goes along, I'll continue to gradually get stronger, faster. I think that's a good thing. While everybody else is staying the same, I think I'm gradually going to improve."

Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin said he hasn't noticed any difference in Maymon.

"He looks like the same old Jeronne to me," Martin said.

Maymon averaged 12.7 points and ranked fifth in the SEC with 8.1 rebounds per game in 2011-12, but a setback in his recovery from offseason surgery to his left knee lingered to the point that he finally redshirted. Before the 2012-13 season, Martin announced Maymon would miss the Volunteers' opening game but said the injury wouldn't knock him out for the whole year. By January, both the team and player had decided a redshirt was the best option.

Both are confident Maymon will be ready for the start of the upcoming season.

"He looks good as far as workouts," Martin said. "I've given percentages before, but I've never been big on numbers and percentages because I feel like I never played at what you would call 100 percent. I thought I played at a high level, (but) once I entered college I was always banged up in some way, shape or form. That's part of it. But he looks good. He looks like he did when he played at a high level. I think he's a little bit better in certain areas, as far as making passes, decision making."

Tennessee returns three of its top four scorers from a team that went 20-13 last season. The Volunteers also add Memphis transfer Antonio Barton and five-star recruit Robert Hubbs III to the backcourt.

This might be new news to some folks, but I can't wait for the 2013-14 season! We will do some work this year!!

Reactions: 1 person
I still have doubts as to how effective Maymon will be this year. He is still not 100%. They are very careful not to say he is 100%. They say things like "will be 100% by opener" or "if we had a game today he'd play."

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I still have my doubts. I guess it's because this knee deal has been shrouded in secrecy and its been going on for 18 months.

I'll be glad to see JM playing and hopefully alleviating my concerns.

Last edited:
I still think this whole "knee" thing is a huge smokescreen and the staff and him planed this to make a nice run to the title :) I mean it doesn't even take 18 months to return from an ACL injury...

I still think this whole "knee" thing is a huge smokescreen and the staff and him planed this to make a nice run to the title :) I mean it doesn't even take 18 months to return from an ACL injury...

if we find a shooter or two, we could be tough

The problem is that they don't want to guarantee this or that. I have learned in my business that you have to be careful with expectations. If you come out and guarantee something, then you will be criticized when it doesn't happen.

My opinion is that he won't be the same, but he will be very solid. We don't need him to be the same player as he was in 2011 because Stokes and McRae are better. As long as he is solid, rebounds, and plays off of Stokes, then this team will be just fine.

I don't understand the quote about him "not being as explosive". Is he not as explosive simply by virtue of his injury, or is he not as explosive because he thinks he's still got to get back to game shape?

I don't understand the quote about him "not being as explosive". Is he not as explosive simply by virtue of his injury, or is he not as explosive because he thinks he's still got to get back to game shape?

Here you go...

He conceded that he probably wasn't as explosive as he was prior to the injury, but wrote that off to conditioning and just need to get back in game shape.

-Rob Lewis

you ever play basketball competitively, then basically not run or jump for a year or so, then come back? Vertical will be less, speed will be less. That all picks back up with running and jumping

Well he has over two and a half months to "get into game shape." He, like CCM, has no room for excuses this year.

What? Do you even know what involves getting into game shape? They probably haven't hit it hard with sprints running full court games ect. The individual workout in the summer focus more on improving your skills. I'm sure when regular practice hits that's when he'll start getting into game shape.

Well he has over two and a half months to "get into game shape." He, like CCM, has no room for excuses this year.
Are you kidding me? You clearly have no idea how conditioned you have to be to play D1 ball for 30+ minutes. He's coming back from a huge injury, if he just started feeling 100% in his knee then why would he have pushed him self at 80 or even 90%? That's just asking for an injury.

A few games to get into game shape and he'll be fine.
We have the option of running a transition juggernaut until he does.
Versatile this year.

Maymon's numbers will probably go down, but mainly because the talent on this years team. It definitely helps to get him back.

“jeronne is better than he was when he got hurt,” senior guard jordan mcrae told the news sentinel at a charity event on saturday.

“i’m telling you, jeronne was really, really good when he was playing, but now he’s that same guy except he’s added more things to his game,” mcrae continued. “he’s able to shoot the 3 and the midrange and he’s going to be really good for us. Jeronne being able to do all that, it brings us to a whole new level.”

-gvx

I've been saying this for a while now, and it's even proven by the above article. Jeronne Maymon is better than he was before, all of you who are saying he will do worse, etc - be prepared to see a different player. When Jeronne wasn't hurt in 2010-11, he was the only leader we had basically, this team is FULL of leaders: Richardson, McRae, Maymon, and Barton.

You do realize you don't fully get into game shape until you start playing actual games right? He's been busting his ass with coach Nic and there's videos to prove it.

You do realize you don't fully get into game shape until you start playing actual games right? He's been busting his ass with coach Nic and there's videos to prove it.

Which is what sparked my initial question. It's hard to tell whether he is less explosive because his injury has permanently changed the way he plays the game, or whether he's saying that he'll be back to normal explosivity when he gets fully conditioned.

When I hurt my knee, I couldn't play for a few months while I recooped it. I could get out and play a bit after that, but I couldn't jump nearly as well as I could pre-injury. When the injury fully healed, I was right back where I was athletically, but I wasn't conditioned.

On one hand parts of his interviews make it sound like he's not the same type of player anymore (maybe better, but not the same type) and on the other he makes it sound like it's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Hoping Edwards steps forward and takes that backup 4 spot getting big minutes early.

That would be huge. It is very likely Jeronne isn't going to be able to log 30 minutes right out of the gates. So while he is getting his legs under him(pardon the pun) Edwards, Pops, and Davis need to be productive.

I feel like we've seen inprovement from a lot of different players since CCM has been here. So really no reason to think Edwards shouldn't improve as well. :crossfingers:

i never really thought of Maymon as explosive anyway. i think of him as a gritty, tough guy that gives you a little bit of everything. he rebounds, can score, and hes a leader. but i dont think of him being explosive.i think he will be just fine and i cant wait to see this team play

Which is what sparked my initial question. It's hard to tell whether he is less explosive because his injury has permanently changed the way he plays the game, or whether he's saying that he'll be back to normal explosivity when he gets fully conditioned.When I hurt my knee, I couldn't play for a few months while I recooped it. I could get out and play a bit after that, but I couldn't jump nearly as well as I could pre-injury. When the injury fully healed, I was right back where I was athletically, but I wasn't conditioned.

On one hand parts of his interviews make it sound like he's not the same type of player anymore (maybe better, but not the same type) and on the other he makes it sound like it's just a matter of time.

Nah I think your probably right. I am not saying I don't think he will be good. A lot of us in the past have referenced "a bull in a china shop" to describe his game. And I just think he will dial that back more this year.

VN Store

Back