Notes from 8/26 Press Conference (CCM and Maymon)

jjay2518

I didn't listen but pulled these tidbits from twitter coverage of the presser:

CCM: Richardson is the 4th option offensively right now.

CCM: Darius Thompson has great instincts. Good at instinctively throwing lobs at the basket.

CCM: Players did a good job of building relationships with Barton to make it easier for him to step in and be a leader.

CCM: Barton has been a hard worker who doesn’t make excuses.

CCM: McRae has has added 8 pounds of muscle.

CCM: Maymon looks like “the same ole Jeronne” to him. No questions surrounding his availability.

Maymon: Barton is aggressive on both ends. Will be a floor general.

Maymon: Says he’ll definitely be 100% for the first game. Feels good now with no pain.

Reactions: 4 people
What stands out: McRae has has added 8 pounds of muscle. Not mentioned is Stokes. Where is he at or what do Vol fans look forward to seeing out of him?

What stands out: McRae has has added 8 pounds of muscle. Not mentioned is Stokes. Where is he at or what do Vol fans look forward to seeing out of him?

Typical forecast: mostly double double w/ a chance of several missed free throws. :)

Typical forecast: mostly double double w/ a chance of several missed free throws. :)

With Maymon back I hope not. And if heexpects to make it to the next level his freethrow shooting has to improve this season.

With Maymon back I hope not. And if heexpects to make it to the next level his freethrow shooting has to improve this season.

Plenty of guys in the NBA who can't shoot free throws any better than Stokes...he will land somewhere just because of his rebounding ability.

nah, just being goofy. Stokes should improve a little from the line this year. I think a few really poor shooting nights from the line, might have gotten in his head a little bit. He has pretty good form, just a matter of making a few early in the season to gain confidence. IMO

Richardson is the 4th option on offense right now? Has he improved that much that Barton or Hubbs won't take that spot?

Richardson is the 4th option on offense right now? Has he improved that much that Barton or Hubbs won't take that spot?

I think Richardson was more polished than Barton last year. ..Barton has an outside shot, JRichs mid range and slashing is light years better than Barton's.

I was thinking Mcrae, Stoke, Maymon(in no particular order) then JRich.?

Lol I forgot about McRae, WOW :crazy:

Yea...

McRae, Stokes, Maymon Richardson would be my guess...that's great news IMO.

It means Richardson has continued to improve, and the 3 point numbers from AIA may actually carry over to the season.

If Richardson is a better scoring option then Hubbs then 2 things 1. Our offense should be lethal 2. There's no way Richardson is losing his starting spot

Yea...

It means Richardson has continued to improve, and the 3 point numbers from AIA may actually carry over to the season.

If Richardson is a better scoring option then Hubbs then 2 things 1. Our offense should be lethal 2. There's no way Richardson is losing his starting spot

Really good for the team if that's true. Lots of offensive production without the drop off in perimeter defense of sitting Richardson.

Yea...

If Richardson is a better scoring option then Hubbs then 2 things 1.our offense should be lethal 2. There's no way Richardson is losing his starting spot

lol, yeah not suppose to forget about a senior. I also took from it that Barton #1 duty is to lead the team. Because while I aggree Rich has probably improved on offense. Wouldn't you think Barton is still the better scorer?

I'm not terribly surprised with the Richardson comments. Out of the probable starting 5, he is our best defender. When you hear this news, that's just great. A byproduct of recruiting lower-ranked top150 players is that they show impressive improvement when coached well. Hopefully Martin is taking in all he can so he can further improve his more polished recruits. That will be a big factor in his success or failure here at UT IMO.

lol, yeah not suppose to forget about a senior. I also took from it that Barton #1 duty is to lead the team. Because while I aggree Rich has probably improved on offense. Wouldn't you think Barton is still the better scorer?

I don't necessarily agree. Richardson is a better driver, and has the better midrange game. Barton was clearly the better perimeter shooter, and that's where a bulk of his points came from. I don't think of a 3 point guy as a "scorer", that'd be like saying Mcbee was a better scorer than Richardson.

I don't necessarily agree. Richardson is a better driver, and has the better midrange game. Barton was clearly the better perimeter shooter, and that's where a bulk of his points came from. I don't think of a 3 point guy as a "scorer", that'd be like saying Mcbee was a better scorer than Richardson.

If we still had a midnight madness we could try to get'em to play 1 on 1. :)

Speaking of Midnight madness, who would win a dunk contest with this years players?

If we still had a midnight madness we could try to get'em to play 1 on 1. :)

Speaking of Midnight madness, who would win a dunk contest with this years players?

We should find out, there's supposedly gonna be one this year.

I think it would come down to McRae and Hubbs, with Hubbs likely winning.

I didn't listen but pulled these tidbits from twitter coverage of the presser:

CCM: Richardson is the 4th option offensively right now.

CCM: Darius Thompson has great instincts. Good at instinctively throwing lobs at the basket.

CCM: Players did a good job of building relationships with Barton to make it easier for him to step in and be a leader.

CCM: Barton has been a hard worker who doesn’t make excuses.

CCM: McRae has has added 8 pounds of muscle.

CCM: Maymon looks like “the same ole Jeronne” to him. No questions surrounding his availability.

Maymon: Barton is aggressive on both ends. Will be a floor general.

Maymon: Says he’ll definitely be 100% for the first game. Feels good now with no pain.

Sweet! That takes him up to 9 lbs total!

Reactions: 1 person
So Barton aggressive on both ends according to a teammate, and he is a hard worker that makes no excuses.

I've said from the beginning this was a great trade for our team and what we need to lead guys like Mcrae, Stokes, Hubbs, etc. That energy and effort rubs off on teammates, especially when its from a pg, especially when the pg is expected to be the leader on the floor. When "leaders" don't work hard and do make excuses, it infects other team members.

Can't wait to see this team play.

So Barton aggressive on both ends according to a teammate, and he is a hard worker that makes no excuses.

I've said from the beginning this was a great trade for our team and what we need to lead guys like Mcrae, Stokes, Hubbs, etc. That energy and effort rubs off on teammates, especially when its from a pg, especially when the pg is expected to be the leader on the floor. When "leaders" don't work hard and do make excuses, it infects other team members.

Can't wait to see this team play.

I thought of you when I read those quotes Sparty

I would bet on McRae.

Hubbs has the edge with the vertical, but experience could be a factor which would go into McRaes favor...Richardson isn't a bad pick either, Q also has some pretty good ups.

Will be fun to watch assuming they decide to do it, hoping they do.

I doubt if he was anyway. Hubbs will be great as one of the first off the bench to provide a scoring spark.

Oh I agree, I've been in that camp since Hubbs committed. I was just saying for those that thought Hubbs was taking his spot, this seems to be further evidence that it's unlikely.

VN Store

Back