Cuonzo receives raise

I like Cuonzo and still believe in him, but 0 tournaments with decent talent, IMO.
Couple that with the financial state of our program I dont understand the raise.

Reactions: 1 person
Dave Hart told the KNS Martin's $50K raise was for "2 top-5 finishes in the SEC in his first 2 years" & "leadership that he has provided"

$50k isn't a lot of money relatively speaking. All this does is show confidence in Martin.

Also, there's no mention of an extension. I'd guess this move is made with finances in mind. Give him a tiny raise to show confidence without extending him because extending him would cost you a LOT more if they had to give him the ax down the road.

Yes he does and he deserves an extension while leaving the buyout exactly the same. It shows confidence in Martin and stability within the program. If we had to fire him, the cost would be the same.

People are going to freak out because of a very small raise. Back when it came up months ago, my thought was no raise (or very small one) but a one year extension and don't change the buyout.

Either way, it's not a big deal. CCM just has to win this year.

If we do not get to the Sweet 16 this year, he needs to go. He is not recruiting enough quality players to keep us where we deserve to be. With our fan support and our budget, we should make it to the tourney every year. I hope we can have a great year and He becomes a more consistent recruiter. Basketball like football is more about the Jimmys and Joes than the X's and O's.

If we do not get to the Sweet 16 this year, he needs to go. He is not recruiting enough quality players to keep us where we deserve to be. With our fan support and our budget, we should make it to the tourney every year. I hope we can have a great year and He becomes a more consistent recruiter. Basketball like football is more about the Jimmys and Joes than the X's and O's.

Sweet 16 or gone. Way to be rational. Also his recruiting as improved every year if we want to go there. Went from 1 top 150 player his first year to a 5 star and a top 150 his second. To a 5 star and a top 150 and a top 200 player last year and has two top150-120 players already committed and all accounts lead to believe he will finish with a top 15 class. He needs players to stay healthy and come out and play early in the season.

I guess it's better than Hammy. Woulda given him a 3 year extension and $500k raise

50k to a top tier D1 school is nothing. Just a way to say "Oh, hey, he got a raise, we believe in him!" nothing more.

Regardless of what you think of Cuonzo, I don't understand why any sensible fan would be upset over him getting a 50k raise. It's not like this is some Hammy deal like the "Coacho Ocho" deal he gave Fulmer where he got a raise and extension for 8 wins.

This is $50k that shows support for the coach without running the risk of extending him. This is how a real Athletic Director works. He shows confidence in his coaches without putting the program at financial risk. $50k is a drop in the bucket. Adding another year to the buyout could cost millions. Dave Hart is a boss.

Reactions: 2 people
ib4 BTO flips out on everyone saying he doesnt deserve and goes on to justify the raise

No need.

I bumped the thread where this was discussed at length, I tried to explain why he likely would get a raise and/or extension. About 80% of the people thought I was wrong in that thread....guess not.

Sweet 16 or gone. Way to be rational. Also his recruiting as improved every year if we want to go there. Went from 1 top 150 player his first year to a 5 star and a top 150 his second. To a 5 star and a top 150 and a top 200 player last year and has two top150-120 players already committed and all accounts lead to believe he will finish with a top 15 class. He needs players to stay healthy and come out and play early in the season.

It has improved some but we were still 6th or 7th in the sec recruiting in his best yr.....we need a class with more top 100 players instead of 100-150 players.

His salary was 1.3 million

He got a 50k raise.

what is that? a 4 percent raise or something?

What is the annual raise for all UT employees?

edit: It isn't even a full 4 percent

Last edited:
It has improved some but we were still 6th or 7th in the sec recruiting in his best yr.....we need a class with more top 100 players instead of 100-150 players.

And this years class is currently what, 2nd in the SEC?

Makinde London is consensus top 100, and borderline top 50, if/when we land him I'm sure you'll be lighting off fireworks.

VN Store

Back