'14 GA C C.J. Turman (Tennessee Commit 8/18)

bleedingTNorange

I though we had a thread for this guy, but couldn't find it.

He's been on the big board for awhile, he was someone tennessee has been in touch with for awhile but I wasn't sure as to actual interest from him.

However, Rob Lewis had this to say this AM:
Turman, a burly post player from Georgia is a guy Tennessee has targeted for a long while. He's listing the Vols' very prominently at the moment and while I wouldn't expect him to do anything soon, that's one that Tennessee appears to be in good shape.

So that definitely appears to be someone worth keeping an eye on as the post position is definitely a position of need in next years class.

C.J. Turman - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a pretty good offer list. Would he play C in college at 6'8?

Doesn't Stokes play C because we had no one else to play? I had the idea it was going to be Maymon at C and Stokes at PF. Just curious.

Where's Zansdad when you need him lol :)

No Stokes is the C over Maymon...when both played Stokes' freshman year Stokes was consistently guarding the opposing teams C. You'll see it again this year.

“@OntheRadarHoops: 2014 PF C.J. Thurman Morgan County (GA) has cut his list down to three schools Tennessee, Miss State and Houston per his coach @cmagne30012”

Gotta like our chances out of that group, assuming we are making him a priority.

“@OntheRadarHoops: 2014 PF C.J. Thurman Morgan County (GA) has cut his list down to three schools Tennessee, Miss State and Houston per his coach @cmagne30012”

Gotta like our chances out of that group, assuming we are making him a priority.

Will be interesting. If they think they have good shots at any two of Hurt, Looney, London or Black, it might be better to try to get Turman to hold off.

Will be interesting. If they think they have good shots at any two of Hurt, Looney, London or Black, it might be better to try to get Turman to hold off.

Seems to be it of confusion on if its Thurman or Turman, and I'm not really sure which is correct lol.

On the topic you addressed, I was thinking about that as well. I will say though, only 1 of the guys you listed is really a post. Looney can play the 3/4 same for London, and black seems to prefer the 3 even though he's the size of a 4. So, given that we are losing a strictly 5, and a guy who's only played the 4 for us...I have a feeling Martin really would like to add 2 true posts.

What I'm basically getting at is that, IMO I think we would take Turman right now if he wanted to commit. Where it gets interesting is to watch what they then do with London. They would continue to pursue Hurt, but would they continue to pursue London meaning they would likely be bringing in 6 in the 2014 class?

Seems to be it of confusion on if its Thurman or Turman, and I'm not really sure which is correct lol.

On the topic you addressed, I was thinking about that as well. I will say though, only 1 of the guys you listed is really a post. Looney can play the 3/4 same for London, and black seems to prefer the 3 even though he's the size of a 4. So, given that we are losing a strictly 5, and a guy who's only played the 4 for us...I have a feeling Martin really would like to add 2 true posts.

What I'm basically getting at is that, IMO I think we would take Turman right now if he wanted to commit. Where it gets interesting is to watch what they then do with London. They would continue to pursue Hurt, but would they continue to pursue London meaning they would likely be bringing in 6 in the 2014 class?

I believe we are bringing in 6 in this class. If I'm Martin, that's my bottom number.

I believe we are bringing in 6 in this class. If I'm Martin, that's my bottom number.

I like that number. If I'm Martin as you said that my bottom number. So I push for Turman, Hurt and London still and if Looney wants it, you obviously take him too. Make it a 7 man class, part ways with Q & Reese.

Be looking like:

PG : Thompson/ Austin
SG: Hubbs/ Cornish
SF: Richardson/ Moore
PF: Looney/ Cofer/ London/ Davis
C: Hurt/ Turman/ Ndiaye

One can hope right :)

Ok fine no Looney:

PG: Thompson/ Austin
SG: Hubbs/ Cornish
SF: Richardson/ Moore
PF: Cofer/ London/ Davis
C: Hurt/ Turman/ Ndiaye

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I really don't think he is taking 6 before the spring. I think he will see what he has first. I know you guys hope we have attrition, but most guys will take some time to develop (if you aren't a 5 star).

I see us taking 4 in November, and then he will recruit someone in the spring based on this upcoming season.

I really don't think he is taking 6 before the spring. I think he will see what he has first. I know you guys hope we have attrition, but most guys will take some time to develop (if you aren't a 5 star).

I see us taking 4 in November, and then he will recruit someone in the spring based on this upcoming season.

Well he's not turning away Hurt or Looney and both want to commit before November, so that right there would be 5.

Martin has gotten the luxury with this class now to tell some recruits get on or get left behind....it has already happened multiple times. I don't know that that's 100% the case with Turman, but he WAS planning on waiting til spring, and now looks like he's speeding up the process a bit.

Reactions: 1 person
Well he's not turning away Hurt or Looney and both want to commit before November, so that right there would be 5.

Martin has gotten the luxury with this class now to tell some recruits get on or get left behind....it has already happened multiple times. I don't know that that's 100% the case with Turman, but he WAS planning on waiting til spring, and now looks like he's speeding up the process a bit.

I agree with this. I guess my caveat would be that he would take 5 with both of those guys. But, I just don't see us getting Looney. I am a positive person, but I have seen this type of recruitment time and time again. I would be shocked if we landed Looney.

Actually, I could see us taking 5 with Hart and London. But, that is about it. I certainly don't see 6 before spring.

You may be on to something there. I suspect Devin Mitchell jumped on that Bama offer because he saw how quickly the deal with Tennessee and Austin developed. Unless you are a top 25 guy, you can't count on scholarships at your preferred school waiting on an October official visit.

You may be on to something there. I suspect Devin Mitchell jumped on that Bama offer because he saw how quickly the deal with Tennessee and Austin developed. Unless you are a top 25 guy, you can't count on scholarships at your preferred school waiting on an October official visit.

Exactly. That's the biggest difference in football and hoops recruiting. Hoops recruiting is almost like recruiting the QB position in football.

Guys claim their spots and don't flip flop often.

Exactly. That's the biggest difference in football and hoops recruiting. Hoops recruiting is almost like recruiting the QB position in football.

Guys claim their spots and don't flip flop often.

Unless your in Butch Jones' first full recruiting class. I think football is getting to that, and I think Jones has mastered it. It gives you leverage as the school to tell someone that they need to jump on or won't have a spot. Sure, you may miss on some high level guys late, but you are only offering guys that you want.

I like that number. If I'm Martin as you said that my bottom number. So I push for Turman, Hurt and London still and if Looney wants it, you obviously take him too. Make it a 7 man class, part ways with Q & Reese.
I doubt Martin would take 7. I can see one attrition, not two. I'll say it again BTO, Q is better than his original 2* rating. Q started playing competitive basketball his sophomore year, he'll be a solid 4 year player.

I agree with this. I guess my caveat would be that he would take 5 with both of those guys. But, I just don't see us getting Looney. I am a positive person, but I have seen this type of recruitment time and time again. I would be shocked if we landed Looney.

Actually, I could see us taking 5 with Hart and London. But, that is about it. I certainly don't see 6 before spring.

Yea I highly doubt we land looney either.

I agree with your premise about seeing what you have and waiting til spring...but you have to weigh your options at some point. Lets say Turman commits and London soon after, we are sitting at 5 commits in October. Does the staff try and slow play Hurt? I really don't see that happening. You have to weigh, do we slow play hurt in hopes of landing someone better? That's doubtful IMO.

VN Store

Back