Evaluating our roster

iKrager

This is my first write up like this so bear with me. I've been wanting to do this when the forums get really dead, and since there's not much activity I figured, why not?

I will talk about the recruiting of the player, how they are currently doing, and what the player can do to improve. I won't include our new recruiting class because I haven't seen them play (except Barton).

#1 Josh Richardson is a top 150 consensus 3* player, he was a good get. He hustles hard, plays defense and puts up a lot of shots. Richardson needs to continue to improve his handling and finishing his shots to become a real threat.

#2 Antonio Barton was an unrated 3* player. Antonio Barton is replacing our veteran point guard Trae Golden and some say he will do a better job. Barton shoots 40% from the 3 point line and will create space for our big men down low. If Barton can lead our team in transition offense and become a defensive threat, our sky is the limit.

#3 Derek Reese was an unrated 3* player. He started the 2012 offseason by tearing his labrum which set him back. Reese had key 3 point shots in the wins over Mississippi State and Xavier. I believe we haven't seen Reese's full potential, give him an offseason in the gym and weight room and I think he can average 7 to 8 points a game. He needs add weight to his frame to become an inside threat and should continue to work on his handling and improve his shot fake.

#4 Armani Moore was an unrated 3* player. Armani Moore is a good get. Moore is known for attacking the basket and hustling for rebounds and loose balls. Moore really helped us this year when he entered our starting lineup as a 4 replacing Kenny Hall. I think Moore will continue to get better as long as he keeps working on his shot and work on his transition offense. I expect big things from Moore.

#5 Jarnell Stokes was Martin's first 5* player. Though recruited as a power forward, Jarnell has played mostly center. Stokes is a strong force off the glass and around the rim, when he goes one-on-one with a defender he's hard to stop. He needs to improve his mid-range game if he wants to create space for the rim. His handles are weak and if he wants minutes on an NBA roster his going to have to do more than sit under the rim.

#24 Brandon Lopez was a 2* player from Austin East High School and a current walk-on. Lopez has a hard time handling quick defenses and is barely an offensive threat. Lopez needs keep working on his overall game, he needs some type of outside shot to be effective. If he can learn to make good decisions with the ball, he could earn some minutes behind Barton.

#31 Quinton Chievous was a 3* player who's overachieved as redshirt freshman. Cheivous started playing organized basketball as a Junior in high school and still has a lot of potential. Cheivous will need to improve his mid-range shot and continue to shoot 3 point shots. If he can continue to get bigger and quicker we could see a different player his junior/senior year.

#32 D'Montre Edwards was a 3* player out of JUCO. Edwards still has question marks on his head for his roll here at Tennessee but what we do know is that he has offensive potential. Edwards is known for his drives and his pretty shot form. Edwards didn't receive a lot of minutes due to lack of defensive hustle. He has the frame and athleticism to do well, but it's all about work ethic and hustle.

#34 Jeronne Maymon was a 4* player. Maymon had arthroscopic surgery on his knee over the offseason last year and what was supposed to be a 6 month recovery time has taken almost 18 months. With the exact details foggy, what is known is that Maymon is back and healthy (currently) and I've heard is doing regular workouts and practices. Maymon was the leader in 10-11 season and was an overall threat. With Stokes having experience under his belt this duo could be unstoppable. Maymon needs to be healthy this year for us to have maximum success. Maymon needs to continue to improving his health and conditioning to be a major factor.

#52 Jordan McRae was a 4* player. Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. What can I say? You were the leader of this team last season and we expect big things this year. We all saw the offensive potential with the fancy dunks and random 3 point shots, but it was obvious when SEC came around the corner. McRae's done a fantastic job attacking the rim and getting our players motivated and moving. If he can continue to work on his handling and keep a consistent 3 point shot Jordan will be scary to handle.

I expect big things with this team this year. I can expect at least a 20 in the preseason polls. If we can avoid injuries we will do some damage at the Battle 4 Atlantis and come SEC play. The key for the following season is getting a solid 14-15 recruiting class, if we can maintain success with recruits we can have good 2014-15 year. Thanks for reading and GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
This is my first write up like this so bear with me. I've been wanting to do this when the forums get really dead, and since there's not much activity I figured, why not?

I will talk about the recruiting of the player, how they are currently doing, and what the player can do to improve.

#1 Josh Richardson is a top 150 consensus player, he was a good get. He hustles hard, plays defense and puts up a lot of shots. Richardson needs to continue to improve his handling and finishing his shots and will be a real threat.

#2 Antonio Barton was an unrated 3 star player. Antonio Barton is replacing our veteran point guard Trae Golden and some say he will do a better job. Barton shoots 40% from the 3 point line and will create space for our big men down low. If Barton can lead our team in transition offense and become a defensive threat, our sky is the limit.

#3 Derek Reese was an unrated 3 star player. He started the 2012 offseason by tearing his labrum which set him back. Reese had key 3 point shots in the wins over Mississippi State and Xavier. I believe we haven't seen Reese's full potential, give him an offseason in the gym and weight room and I think he can average 7 to 8 points a game. He needs add weight to his frame to become an inside threat and should continue to work on his handling and improve his shot fake.

#4 Armani Moore was an unrated 3 star player. Armani Moore is a good get. Moore is known for attacking the basket and hustling for rebounds and loose balls. Moore really helped us this year when he entered our starting lineup as a 4 replacing Kenny Hall. I think Moore will continue to get better as long as he keeps working on his shot and work on his transition offense. I expect big things from Moore.

#5 Jarnell Stokes was Martin's first 5-star player. Though recruited as a power forward, Jarnell has played mostly center. Stokes is a strong force off the glass and around the rim, when he goes one-on-one with a defender he's hard to stop. He needs to improve his mid-range game if he wants to create space for the rim. His handles are weak and if he wants minutes on an NBA roster his going to have to do more than sit under the rim.

#24 Brandon Lopez was a 2* player from Central High School and a current walk-on. Lopez has a hard time handling quick defenses and is barely an offensive threat. Lopez needs keep working on his overall game, he needs some type of outside shot to be effective. If he can learn to make good decisions with the ball, he could earn some minutes behind Barton.

Still adding more players so don't post yet.

With this roster, we should have a record that will get us in the NCAA tournament. If not, then Martin will see the heat turned up.

This may be the best roster we will have in several seasons to come. Stokes & Maymon and McRae will be gone after this season.

If Martin can get it done, this needs to be the season that he does it or else many will begin to lose faith in him.

The close loses we had last season, should have been wins. Georgetown, etc. etc. If we win those close games, then we are in the tournament.

good write up iKrager,post this kinda of stuff more often,i enjoyed reading your post,just remember to have a thick skin on here lol

Could have been shorter:

Reese, Chievous and Edwards: taking a spot on the roster for some reason. Never should have been recruited by CM.

Moore: smh, not sure yet

Lopez; in trouble if he is on the floor

Agree with everyone else.

Reactions: 1 person
Reese may not be the same player he was before his injury.
Averaged 20/12 in the NGC last season.
This season in international play , he's averaging 2/1.8 in 15 minutes per game.

Puerto Rico Rosters - RealGM

While I've been skeptical of Reese's ability to contribute at this level, to be fair, these are the full-grown national teams in this tournament. Last year's competition was other high school kids.

What tournament is that? So it's like 25 year old professionals, I assumed it was the same age group as USA teams.

VN Store

Back