VolNation Basketball Mailbag

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Okay, this is a lie. It's not a mailbag. These are eight questions I came up with that I was thinking about the other day.

Warning: This is a long read. You might want to grab some pizza, a coke, and a recliner. The questions are in bold.

1. It's great that Jeronne Maymon has no pain or discomfort now, but um....how the hell did we get to this point?

It's the underlying question that no one has been asking on the Hill. How the hell did a simple procedure turn into a nightmare? Here's the basic timeline of what happened starting June 2012.

Maymon has swelling in knee. He then had arthroscopic surgery on June 8th. School officials said he should be back for the August exhibition games in Europe...Hell, he even played a game before being pulled out in Europe. We keep hearing that he's going to be okay, until January where they said he's out for the year.

Something just doesn't add up. And I find it odd that Dwight Miller had basically the same surgery and didn't even dress out this year and NO ONE has talked about it. Did something happen that UT wants no one to know about? Was this an unfortunate set of circumstances that overcame UT? Was Jeronne Maymon just an unlucky bastard? I wish someone in Knoxville would do an actual report on this.

2. Is there anyone that can take a big leap from last year?

I addressed this a couple weeks ago, but if you are looking for a breakout player, look no further at Armani Moore. He's what we call a box score stuffer. We know about his weak side blocks, but he also improved his defense over the year and at 6'5/205 (I just saw him at the RTL and he looked 6'6/220) he has nice ability to absorb contact and finish. He also is a fantastic rebounder. He finished top 15 in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. He can play three positions and while he needs to improve his shooting, he's going to make big plays for UT this year.

3. Will anyone, for the love of Ernie and Bernie, take the backup 4 spot?

I sure as hell hope so. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Martin just goes to a four guard lineup when Maymon is out and goes with Armani Moore for 15-20 minutes a game. The issue is that I doubt Maymon will play 30 minutes a game. More like 25 minutes and maybe even less during the OOC schedule. But I wouldn't count out Quinton Chievous, Derek Reese, or even D'Montre Edwards. All bring a skill set (Chievous brings defense and rebounding, Reese brings shooting, Edwards brings athleticism and driving ability) and they all are in year two of Martin's system (Chievous is in year three technically). The X-factor is A.J. Davis. A 6'8 wing with guard skills, he had a solid senior season and can play that stretch 4 without losing size. The hope is that he can hold his own in the paint and rebound well enough to play that spot. I would love to see Edwards take that spot because he has shown glimpses and has the size/athleticism to handle that spot, but I think Chievous and his defense/rebounding will eventually take that spot.

4. What will Robert Hubbs bring to the table, and what our correct expectations for him?

Hubbs will be the star of the team for the 2014-2015 team, but it's too early to look ahead. Hubbs will come off the bench and get 20 minutes a game at the 2/3 spot. He's the perfect college wing. Athletic, quick, can score in the paint, can shoot off catches and off the dribble, and has great length that can create havoc on defense. He has it all. He needs to get stronger so he can better finish with contact and also needs to improve his ball handling so he doesn't get overwhelmed against pressure. But he's going to do a little bit of what Jordan McRae did in 2011 coming off the bench. Bring energy, bring scoring, and get out in transition. The expectations, at least that I'm setting, is 20 minutes a game, keep the turnovers down, and be aggressive on offense. I'm not going to put stats with him...it's too difficult, but I would like to see 3-4 FTA's per game and 35% from 3. That shows me he's getting to the basket and that he is creating opportunities outside the arc.

5. Can Darius Thompson hold the backup point guard spot, and if he can't, who can?

I think Darius Thompson will eventually be a very solid player at UT, just not this year. I think he is a year away. Others disagree. Obviously, we won't know till January. However, he's going to get first crack at backing up Antonio Barton for 10 minutes a game at the PG spot. If he can't handle it, Jordan McRae will get 10 a game at the PG spot while getting 20-25 at the wing. However, I don't like Jordy as the PG spot because he gets passive trying to get other people involved. I'm hoping Robert Hubbs can improve his ball handling enough to at least be competent in that spot, but I doubt. If Thompson can't hold down the spot, it could be a sore spot for a very talented UT team.

6. Can we get a recruiting update?

Well, if you insist. UT has two commitments from top 150 players in wing Jordan Cornish and Phil Cofer. Cornish is a big wing who can play the 2 or 3 and can absolutely shoot the ball. Cofer is a Kenneth Faried clone. He's an athletic freak with innate rebounding instincts and can finish around the rim. He's only about 6'7/215 right now, but he will be a beast in college. JaQuan Lyle, UT's top target, committed to Louisville, and that sucked. Lyle is a superstar type talent. But UT has other options at guard like Devin Mitchell. This isn't an Austin Nichols situation where UT is screwed with Lyle going somewhere else. UT can still get a very good player, and I'm sure UT will still be in contact with Lyle, since it's not signing day yet. UT is expected to get a visit from top 10 player in Kevon Looney, a 6'8 forward with incredible scoring skills. Makinde London, a top 100 player from Tennessee, is getting serious interest and blew up this summer. UT is also looking at JUCO centers, particulary Stephen Hurt, a legit 6'10/270. UT looks to be in good shape at this point. This recruiting class has to have players who can contribute immediately. UT can't take any projects.

7. What should UT's offensive identity be?

Inside and out. The Stokes/Maymon combo (if Jeronne is healthy) is about as stout a college front court can get. They both can score in the paint as well as anyone and Maymon has the ability to drive from 15 feet in. Stokes has shown a mid range jumper while on the U19 USA team, and I hope he continues to do that to create more space for the offense down low. Both are solid passers and UT will have Jordan McRae and Antonio Barton on the perimter, both excellent shooters to help space the court. Add Hubbs in there and you have a team that needs to attack the paint and kick out for open three's. I'd take the Houston Rockets approach to offense. No mid-range jumpers. Everything in the paint or a 3. UT's strengths need to be used in that situation.

8. What are the expectations for UT this year?

It's still early and we never know what happens. However, with the current team and assuming everyone is healthy, NCAA tournament at the minimum. I think UT can get a top 5 seed (which means top 20 team) and think that's achievable with this team. People like to say that this coach needs this many wins in the tournament, which is unrealistic because it's all about matchups. Get a top 5 seed, win 22 regular season games, and win two games in the SEC tournament, and that would be a great season and give you momentum for reloading into 2014.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 7 people
Good write up zjc! I always look forward to reading these write ups. I was also wondering why NO one reported about Dwight Miller, if he was healthy he would've been a much better replacement than Hall/Makanjuola. Oh and GO VOLS

Good write up zjc! I always look forward to reading these write ups. I was also wondering why NO one reported about Dwight Miller, if he was healthy he would've been a much better replacement than Hall/Makanjuola. Oh and GO VOLS

The Miller thing was the weird one. Nobody talked him. He didn't dress. But he was on the roster and even participated in senior night. I have no idea why we heard nothing on him.

The Miller thing was the weird one. Nobody talked him. He didn't dress. But he was on the roster and even participated in senior night. I have no idea why we heard nothing on him.

I always thought that was weird. Rob Lewis says he was healthy but Martin literally felt he wasn't good enough to play. Basically, we have a scholarship, stay here and finish your degree but you won't play.

As for Maymon, I would love to hear the truth, but I'm guessing we never will, whenever Martin's done with coaching he should work for the CIA, guy keeps his program on lockdown.

Good write up, one thing, with the backup PG...of Thompson can't handle it it won't be McRae. My guess is Richardson and then Lopez if it gets that bad. However, Martin was adamant recently about McRae staying off the ball.

Good stuff. Thanks

I am hoping Pops will bring some valuable minutes to the table. Not much of an adjustment for Stokes to move to 4 and bring in Pops to play the 5. I havent had a chance to watch him play live yet, but he could play a bigger role than expected. Nice to hear he has better offensive post moves(than Yemi), but all we need is a solid defender who can run the floor.

Last edited:
My take:

1. Maymon was a blessing in disquise. We are a much better team this year with Maymon, then we were last year.

2/3. Who ever takes the big leap will do it in the backup 4. My pic is Edwards. He can be an unbelievable offensive threat. Can be a huge spark off the bench. I don't think he will be able to play in the post much, but maybe spread the defense.

4. Hopefully, Hubbs will be our 4th scoring option come SEC play. Could be the difference in an NCAA tourney team vs. one of the elite teams in the nation this year.

5. Same as 4. We NEED Thompson to handle 8-10 minutes for us to have the MAXIMUM success.

6. As long as Cofer and Cornish are not the highlights of the recruiting class, then 2014 should be a successful class. Not saying that 2 top 150 kids are not great...but for a great class they can not be the highlights.

7. With our offense, I want to see uptempo and running. Consistently feeding the post when in half court offense.

8. Expectations....to fill out brackets come March, so I can have UT penciled in beating KY in the NCAA tourny.

Last edited:
I think Moore is your backup 4 and if he really is 6-6, 220, that's plenty big enough for that spot. He has the skill set of a four (shot blocker/rebounder), plus he'll out athlete most anyone other teams put in that spot. I really prefer to go with a guy playing one slot down (3 playing 4 vs 4 playing 3), because I think it gives you quickness/speed advantages.

As for Cornish, I've never heard anything about him being a great shooter, but I think he'll be better than Moore, so that will leave him on the perimeter.

Maymon is a mystery, but I think Cuonzo just wrote off Miller and let him play out the string to get a degree.

I think you'll see Maymon for 20-25 minutes a game this year. If Moore can take up the balance without getting abused inside too much, that will work out fine. I don't think you'll see Stokes playing any 4.
Okay, this is a lie. It's not a mailbag. These are eight questions I came up with that I was thinking about the other day.

Warning: This is a long read. You might want to grab some pizza, a coke, and a recliner. The questions are in bold.

1. It's great that Jeronne Maymon has no pain or discomfort now, but um....how the hell did we get to this point?

It's the underlying question that no one has been asking on the Hill. How the hell did a simple procedure turn into a nightmare? Here's the basic timeline of what happened starting June 2012.

Maymon has swelling in knee. He then had arthroscopic surgery on June 8th. School officials said he should be back for the August exhibition games in Europe...Hell, he even played a game before being pulled out in Europe. We keep hearing that he's going to be okay, until January where they said he's out for the year.

Something just doesn't add up. And I find it odd that Dwight Miller had basically the same surgery and didn't even dress out this year and NO ONE has talked about it. Did something happen that UT wants no one to know about? Was this an unfortunate set of circumstances that overcame UT? Was Jeronne Maymon just an unlucky bastard? I wish someone in Knoxville would do an actual report on this.

2. Is there anyone that can take a big leap from last year?

I addressed this a couple weeks ago, but if you are looking for a breakout player, look no further at Armani Moore. He's what we call a box score stuffer. We know about his weak side blocks, but he also improved his defense over the year and at 6'5/205 (I just saw him at the RTL and he looked 6'6/220) he has nice ability to absorb contact and finish. He also is a fantastic rebounder. He finished top 15 in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. He can play three positions and while he needs to improve his shooting, he's going to make big plays for UT this year.

I sure as hell hope so. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Martin just goes to a four guard lineup when Maymon is out and goes with Armani Moore for 15-20 minutes a game. The issue is that I doubt Maymon will play 30 minutes a game. More like 25 minutes and maybe even less during the OOC schedule. But I wouldn't count out Quinton Chievous, Derek Reese, or even D'Montre Edwards. All bring a skill set (Chievous brings defense and rebounding, Reese brings shooting, Edwards brings athleticism and driving ability) and they all are in year two of Martin's system (Chievous is in year three technically). The X-factor is A.J. Davis. A 6'8 wing with guard skills, he had a solid senior season and can play that stretch 4 without losing size. The hope is that he can hold his own in the paint and rebound well enough to play that spot. I would love to see Edwards take that spot because he has shown glimpses and has the size/athleticism to handle that spot, but I think Chievous and his defense/rebounding will eventually take that spot.

4. What will Robert Hubbs bring to the table, and what our correct expectations for him?

Hubbs will be the star of the team for the 2014-2015 team, but it's too early to look ahead. Hubbs will come off the bench and get 20 minutes a game at the 2/3 spot. He's the perfect college wing. Athletic, quick, can score in the paint, can shoot off catches and off the dribble, and has great length that can create havoc on defense. He has it all. He needs to get stronger so he can better finish with contact and also needs to improve his ball handling so he doesn't get overwhelmed against pressure. But he's going to do a little bit of what Jordan McRae did in 2011 coming off the bench. Bring energy, bring scoring, and get out in transition. The expectations, at least that I'm setting, is 20 minutes a game, keep the turnovers down, and be aggressive on offense. I'm not going to put stats with him...it's too difficult, but I would like to see 3-4 FTA's per game and 35% from 3. That shows me he's getting to the basket and that he is creating opportunities outside the arc.

5. Can Darius Thompson hold the backup point guard spot, and if he can't, who can?

I think Darius Thompson will eventually be a very solid player at UT, just not this year. I think he is a year away. Others disagree. Obviously, we won't know till January. However, he's going to get first crack at backing up Antonio Barton for 10 minutes a game at the PG spot. If he can't handle it, Jordan McRae will get 10 a game at the PG spot while getting 20-25 at the wing. However, I don't like Jordy as the PG spot because he gets passive trying to get other people involved. I'm hoping Robert Hubbs can improve his ball handling enough to at least be competent in that spot, but I doubt. If Thompson can't hold down the spot, it could be a sore spot for a very talented UT team.

6. Can we get a recruiting update?

Well, if you insist. UT has two commitments from top 150 players in wing Jordan Cornish and Phil Cofer. Cornish is a big wing who can play the 2 or 3 and can absolutely shoot the ball. Cofer is a Kenneth Faried clone. He's an athletic freak with innate rebounding instincts and can finish around the rim. He's only about 6'7/215 right now, but he will be a beast in college. JaQuan Lyle, UT's top target, committed to Louisville, and that sucked. Lyle is a superstar type talent. But UT has other options at guard like Devin Mitchell. This isn't an Austin Nichols situation where UT is screwed with Lyle going somewhere else. UT can still get a very good player, and I'm sure UT will still be in contact with Lyle, since it's not signing day yet. UT is expected to get a visit from top 10 player in Kevon Looney, a 6'8 forward with incredible scoring skills. Makinde London, a top 100 player from Tennessee, is getting serious interest and blew up this summer. UT is also looking at JUCO centers, particulary Stephen Hurt, a legit 6'10/270. UT looks to be in good shape at this point. This recruiting class has to have players who can contribute immediately. UT can't take any projects.

7. What should UT's offensive identity be?

Inside and out. The Stokes/Maymon combo (if Jeronne is healthy) is about as stout a college front court can get. They both can score in the paint as well as anyone and Maymon has the ability to drive from 15 feet in. Stokes has shown a mid range jumper while on the U19 USA team, and I hope he continues to do that to create more space for the offense down low. Both are solid passers and UT will have Jordan McRae and Antonio Barton on the perimter, both excellent shooters to help space the court. Add Hubbs in there and you have a team that needs to attack the paint and kick out for open three's. I'd take the Houston Rockets approach to offense. No mid-range jumpers. Everything in the paint or a 3. UT's strengths need to be used in that situation.

8. What are the expectations for UT this year?

It's still early and we never know what happens. However, with the current team and assuming everyone is healthy, NCAA tournament at the minimum. I think UT can get a top 5 seed (which means top 20 team) and think that's achievable with this team. People like to say that this coach needs this many wins in the tournament, which is unrealistic because it's all about matchups. Get a top 5 seed, win 22 regular season games, and win two games in the SEC tournament, and that would be a great season and give you momentum for reloading into 2014.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Guys I'm just a casual basketball fan and was wanting to hear your thoughts on Antonio Barton. Is he a solid replacement for Golden? An upgrade?

I would assume so but just wanted to hear thoughts in general about him. Thanks guys

Guys I'm just a casual basketball fan and was wanting to hear your thoughts on Antonio Barton. Is he a solid replacement for Golden? An upgrade?

I would assume so but just wanted to hear thoughts in general about him. Thanks guys

He will be an upgrade defensively and hopefully as a facilitator. He's an accomplished outside shooter, so there may be a slight upgrade there as well. Golden wasn't an awful shooter, but he was a bit inconsistent. Barton won't be quite the scorer Golden was, but if he gives us 6-8 points per game and can involve the others better offensively, he will at worst be a wash and his defensive upgrade should tilt in his favor.

Reactions: 1 person
He will be an upgrade defensively and hopefully as a facilitator. He's an accomplished outside shooter, so there may be a slight upgrade there as well. Golden wasn't an awful shooter, but he was a bit inconsistent. Barton won't be quite the scorer Golden was, but if he gives us 6-8 points per game and can involve the others better offensively, he will at worst be a wash and his defensive upgrade should tilt in his favor.

Also, experienced in up tempo and doesn't choke in the clutch.

Good post

Barton won't stumble on his own two feet while dribbling like I saw Golden do on a few occasions. Barton has lateral quickness and can keep up defensively with a quick point guard (like a Joe Jackson who literally smoked Golden up the court). The only concern is Barton being healthy through the entire schedule.

I'd expect Barton to score quite a bit, considering he'll come is as one of the best 3 pt shooters you've got and he'll probably be seeing 30+ mpg. He can also score off the bounce if he has an opportunity.

I think you guys may be overstating Barton on the defensive end, though. Through his first two years, he was way more consistent than Joe Jackson (although not the better player). I think one of the things that kept him from outright overtaking Jackson on the depth chart was Antonio's lack of quickness on the defensive end. he has solid fundamentals, but he couldn't routinely keep other PGs in front of him. He was noticeably better at guarding off-the-ball guards.

But perhaps, in comparison to what you had with Golden, he WILL be a significant step up.

Exactly MC.

You have to realize you're comparing viewing Barton next to Jackson, who quite possibly may be the quickest guard in the country. We will be viewing him compared to golden, who may have quite possibly been one of the slowest PGs in the country.

I'd expect Barton to score quite a bit, considering he'll come is as one of the best 3 pt shooters you've got and he'll probably be seeing 30+ mpg. He can also score off the bounce if he has an opportunity.

I think you guys may be overstating Barton on the defensive end, though. Through his first two years, he was way more consistent than Joe Jackson (although not the better player). I think one of the things that kept him from outright overtaking Jackson on the depth chart was Antonio's lack of quickness on the defensive end. he has solid fundamentals, but he couldn't routinely keep other PGs in front of him. He was noticeably better at guarding off-the-ball guards.

But perhaps, in comparison to what you had with Golden, he WILL be a significant step up.

Yes. Anytime Barton's defense has been brought up as a plus/strength/improvement, it has been relative to what he is replacing; Golden.

VN Store

Back