'14 NC G Gabe Devoe

wU-Tang Vol

“It was a good camp,” DeVoe said. “There was good competition and I got to play a lot of games.”

Like most visiting prospects, DeVoe was quite impressed with 21,000-seat Thompson-Boling Arena, noting: “It’s a nice arena. I like it a lot.”

“I’m more of a combo guard,” he said. “I’m physical. I like to get to the rim and I can shoot the ball well. I think getting to the basket is the best part of my game.”

“Coach Martin is big on defense, and that’s something I believe in,” DeVoe said. “A lot of kids go out and score the ball but don’t like to play defense. In high school I play point guard (on offense) but I defend 1 through 4 basically.”

“I like Tennessee’s coaches,” he said. “During the drills and stuff, they’re really hands-on. They did a good job with that.”

He packs 190 pounds on a 6-foot-4 frame, so he’s big for a point guard.*DeVoe shot 48.6 percent from the field as a junior last winter en route to averaging 20.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game.

-scout

We want this guy for sure, how much interest in us? I feel like he's going to a Damiam Lillard type player, underated but a player for sure.

We want this guy for sure, how much interest in us? I feel like he's going to a Damiam Lillard type player, underated but a player for sure.

This guy couldn't hold Galen Campbell's jock.

All seriousness, we didn't offer coming out of camp, and I seriously doubt we will going forward.

This guy couldn't hold Galen Campbell's jock.

All seriousness, we didn't offer coming out of camp, and I seriously doubt we will going forward.
I HATE HATE HATE HATE the star rating, it's so much bull**** that if a player isn't a 3* or better than he's just considered a 'bad' player. Damian Lillard was the Rookie of the year and was a 2 star player out of high school. I don't like how you throw players under the bus because of a silly rating.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE the star rating, it's so much bull**** that if a player isn't a 3* or better than he's just considered a 'bad' player. Damian Lillard was the Rookie of the year and was a 2 star player out of high school. I don't like how you throw players under the bus because of a silly rating.

Lillard had offers from schools much better than Gabe does, so that's a big part of it.

Yes there will always be guys ranked low who become great, we've had a few, Chris Lofton & Jajuan Smith to name a few. Here's the deal though, you can't make it a habit taking 2* and hoping they become stars.

Since Martin has been here we've signed 6 players that weren't ranked in the top 150:

Dwight Miller
Wes Washpun
Yemi Makanjoula
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
D'montre Edwards

Exactly how many of those have turned out like Damien Lillard?

Reactions: 2 people
Lillard had offers from schools much better than Gabe does, so that's a big part of it.

Yes there will always be guys ranked low who become great, we've had a few, Chris Lofton & Jajuan Smith to name a few. Here's the deal though, you can't make it a habit taking 2* and hoping they become stars.

Since Martin has been here we've signed 6 players that weren't ranked in the top 150:

Dwight Miller
Wes Washpun
Yemi Makanjoula
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
D'montre Edwards

Very good point

He just picked up an offer from Xavier which is his best one. I don't see us offering we have enough projects on the team already.

Dwight Miller
Wes Washpun
Yemi Makanjoula
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
D'montre Edwards

Both of their offer lists are mediocre, Lillard had more mid-major programs offer for sure. Out of that list of players only one has graduated, and the other players still have time to grow as a player so you can't automatically count them out.

Both of their offer lists are mediocre, Lillard had more mid-major programs offer for sure. Out of that list of players only one has graduated, and the other players still have time to grow as a player so you can't automatically count them out.

If you think any of those guys are gonna be the next lillard.....well, you're optimistic, that's for sure.

ikrager, wanna apologize to you, and clarify a bit on some of my posts in this thread. they weren't necessarily in regards to Devoe, but more a 2* prospect with very few offers, and none from any high majors. while you will always have a few of those turn out to be studs, it's proven you're chances of winning are much better with top 150 guys, than 2* with WKU as their best offer for example.

now, in regards to devoe, the staff is doing exactly what you should do. they see a guy, like you see, with potential that he possibly is flying under the radar and is quite possibly a high major target. they brought him in for an elite camp, which is obviously a great chance for the staff to get to see him and work him out exactly how they want. the staff didn't offer coming out of camp, however, they did inform Gabe that they would be tracking him throughout July and would continue to recruit him. Since his trip to Tennessee he has earned a Xavier offer, and most recently a Clemson offer. He is now ranked in the top 150 of 247 composite ranks, and definitely appears to be a guy on the rise, so good call IKrager.

Something interesting with Gabe is the fact that he has, and can play PG. So, while not a "true PG", he is probably as much a PG as a guy like Devin Mitchell. I believe Mitchell is high on our board, but it is starting to look like we will follow Devoe through July and may possibly extend an offer to him at some point in the coming weeks, and the staff likely views him as a guy who could play PG.

Good call IKrager :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
ikrager, wanna apologize to you, and clarify a bit on some of my posts in this thread. they weren't necessarily in regards to Devoe, but more a 2* prospect with very few offers, and none from any high majors. while you will always have a few of those turn out to be studs, it's proven you're chances of winning are much better with top 150 guys, than 2* with WKU as their best offer for example.

now, in regards to devoe, the staff is doing exactly what you should do. they see a guy, like you see, with potential that he possibly is flying under the radar and is quite possibly a high major target. they brought him in for an elite camp, which is obviously a great chance for the staff to get to see him and work him out exactly how they want. the staff didn't offer coming out of camp, however, they did inform Gabe that they would be tracking him throughout July and would continue to recruit him. Since his trip to Tennessee he has earned a Xavier offer, and most recently a Clemson offer. He is now ranked in the top 150 of 247 composite ranks, and definitely appears to be a guy on the rise, so good call IKrager.

Something interesting with Gabe is the fact that he has, and can play PG. So, while not a "true PG", he is probably as much a PG as a guy like Devin Mitchell. I believe Mitchell is high on our board, but it is starting to look like we will follow Devoe through July and may possibly extend an offer to him at some point in the coming weeks, and the staff likely views him as a guy who could play PG.

Good call IKrager :hi:
I appreciate that BTO. I'm surprised that Devoe made it within the 150 to be honest. I watched his highlights and immediately saw the talent. I think he's going to develop into something special, he already has a good build, has natural talent and is really smart. He has all the tools to develop into a roll player, but we'll see.

I appreciate that BTO. I'm surprised that Devoe made it within the 150 to be honest. I watched his highlights and immediately saw the talent. I think he's going to develop into something special, he already has a good build, has natural talent and is really smart. He has all the tools to develop into a roll player, but we'll see.

I'd say Micthell is atop their board, but McCormick & Devoe are two guys they'll be tracking through July, and possibly offer at some point.

VN Store

Back