Free Volquest read on CCM and the Basketvols...

gardners_51609

Get Heuped Up!
VolQuest.com - A summer full of makes

Cuonzo Martin's Tennessee basketball team didn't believe the summer project he had for them when they first heard the number. He told them to believe it.

The theory was simple. Make shots. The number seemed unrealistic. Make 30,000 shots.

And do it before August 10.

"Your first thought is, 'Oh my God,' Armani Moore said Wednesday, after scoring 41 points in a Rocky Top League win at Christian Academy of Knoxville.

"Coach Martin is just building up our minds."

To help in that build up - and help with the math - Martin gave his players a pen and a notebook. The rest was up to them.

"We push ourselves," Moore said. "I mean, really, some people might look at that (number) and say that's ridiculous."

But it's not ridiculous, it's reality.

So far, Moore said, he's somewhere around 5,000 shots made as June winds down, leaving him roughly six weeks to make 25,000 shots.

Something tells me Moore will have a huge impact again this year on the team. Coming in for Richardson and McRae and giving those hustle minutes will be crucial. I think around 15 minutes playing will be his number.

Reactions: 1 person
It can be done. How bad do you want it? We missed too many open shots last year and that G-Town game was horrendous.

I think 15,000 of 30,000 of them
Needs to be free throws.

I thought he meant 30,000 combined as a team. That's a lofty goal, but he is right, we gotta make the shots.

i really believe we have a talented team that is good enough to win 20 to 25 games just still uncertain about the coach hope he proves me wrong

I like this. Last year, I feel like shooting struggles seperated us from winning 25+ games. Maybe CCM is changing his defense only philosophy a little bit. I have a good feeling about the upcoming year.

With a rebounder, that's actually pretty light. Lofton has been known to toss 1000 with a rebounder.

If you're chasing your own shot its terrible though.

It's 500 makes, not 500 shots. Assuming you hit 50%, that's a minimum 1000 shots.

With a rebounder, that's actually pretty light. Lofton has been known to toss 1000 with a rebounder.

If you're chasing your own shot its terrible though.

They have a thing called a "gun" it rebounds for you and counts your shots.

This has to be an "effort drill"; who's gonna make a real effort and continue the effort thru Aug 10th. 30,000 makes plus summer classes, team practices, strength/conditioning, sleep, homework, no days off/no sick days (or >500 per day), etc.

Would like to hear the criteria for a "shot" (max # of layups, min # of 3's, etc.) per player/position. Why not put up 200 - 400 shots per day with min # of makes and track/chart improvement (%) from start thru 10 Aug? Work on quality of shots versus quantity.

A Memphis fan would be concerned about the "criteria" for this summer project that concerns Tennessee basketball.

A Memphis fan would be concerned about the "criteria" for this summer project that concerns Tennessee basketball.

Well, IMO, it's a ridiculous, outside-the-box move by Martin that has little chance of real results. There are so many holes in it, thought he might draw it up to inspire the troops instead of players/Moore just counting his shots to get done.

Well, IMO, it's a ridiculous, outside-the-box move by Martin that has little chance of real results. There are so many holes in it, thought he might draw it up to inspire the troops instead of players/Moore just counting his shots to get done.

A quick answer, I'm guessing for majority of team it's shots 15 feet and back.

Something tells me Moore will have a huge impact again this year on the team. Coming in for Richardson and McRae and giving those hustle minutes will be crucial. I think around 15 minutes playing will be his number.

Again? He was horrible last year.

Horrible? Come on. For an unheralded freshman, whom most expected minimal contributions from to begin with, he was better than horrible. I'd say he exceeded my freshman expectations for him. He wasn't anything to write home about, but the improvement he shows from year one to year two will be telling of his future IMO.

He played in a lot of crucial games and minutes that helped us tremendously. He was horrible but yet started games for us last year. He has an 8 reb 3 blocks and 3 steals game. Far from horrible. He's a terrific rebounder.

He was horrible as a back up pg, in which he was recruited for. He showed a lot of promise at the 4 when running a 4 guard offense. I expect to see a lot more of Moore come next year. He should get spot minutes this year, but be solid in the rotation his Jr and Sr year. If Pops is a complete bust, then we could see Moore a good bit this year.

VN Store

Back