2014-2015 Depth Chart

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
This is way too early, but I decided to make one anyways.

This depth chart is under the impression that Stokes will go pro.

This depth chart is also under the impression that the Vols will get these five recruits:

James Demery
Phil Cofer
Stephen Hurt (JUCO)
Jordan Cornish
Jaquan Lyle

That is a complete guess with only one being an actual commit, but UT stands good with all other recruits. This is basically just for purposes of completing this.

Players graduating

D'Montre Edwards
Jeronne Maymon
Antonio Barton
Jordan McRae

We, again, are assuming Stokes leaves. That's five schollies. Returning players assuming nobody leaves:

A.J. Davis
Darius Thompson
Robert Hubbs III
Armani Moore
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
Josh Richardson
Pops Ndiaye

So, my guess at the depth chart:

PG: Lyle/Thompson
SG: Hubbs/Demery
SF: Richardson/Moore/Chevious
PF: Davis/Cofer/Reese
C: Hurt/Ndiaye

A little weak up front, but if UT got Lyle/Demery, that'd be a sick backcourt and one of the best in the country.

Last edited:
I'd agree with you except switch Reese and Chevious. Reese plays like a small forward, and Chevious plays better around the blocks. Richardson and Moore will be SOLID their junior/senior years.

I just don't think we get Lyle. Could be wrong though, but I would be kinda surprised if he's wearing orange.

I just don't think we get Lyle. Could be wrong though, but I would be kinda surprised if he's wearing orange.
I don't think this thread is suppose to be arguing what recruits we do or don't get.

@OP not to mention we'll still have Brandon Lopez and Galen Campbell till they graduate.

More likely to land Jaquel Richmond than Lyle.
We're in his top 4 as of 6-5.
Not that much down grade with Christopher adding the college body.
Part of one of the best 3 player combos in the country this season. Pinson and Giles.

We missed Maymon more than we thought this past season.

Actually, when he couldn't start the season, I thought we were in trouble. That waiting to see if he would be ready half way through was painful. If he can come back as at least 85 - 90% of his former self, and give us 20 - 25 minutes per game, things could turn special this year.

More likely to land Jaquel Richmond than Lyle.
We're in his top 4 as of 6-5.
Not that much down grade with Christopher adding the college body.
Part of one of the best 3 player combos in the country this season. Pinson and Giles.

You might be sited for arguing with this post.

I've maintained for the past 6 months, 14-15 won't be as bad as some said. I've seen the phrases, "train wreck", "bottom feeder", "horrible team", "worst in the SEC" etc.

Without counting incoming freshman in the class of 14, there is a decent core of players. There's alot of team in the SEC who would like to have these guys on their team.

A.J. Davis
Darius Thompson
Robert Hubbs III
Armani Moore
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
Josh Richardson
Pops Ndiaye

Sign a solid class and IMO you're looking at back to back trips to the dance. And I still think given how strong the 2014 draft looks to be that there's a chance Stokes returns, making that team even stronger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
This is way too early, but I decided to make one anyways.

This depth chart is under the impression that Stokes will go pro.

This depth chart is also under the impression that the Vols will get these five recruits:

James Demery
Phil Cofer
Stephen Hurt (JUCO)
Jordan Cornish
Jaquan Lyle

That is a complete guess with only one being an actual commit, but UT stands good with all other recruits. This is basically just for purposes of completing this.

Players graduating

D'Montre Edwards
Jeronne Maymon
Antonio Barton
Jordan McRae

We, again, are assuming Stokes leaves. That's five schollies. Returning players assuming nobody leaves:

A.J. Davis
Darius Thompson
Robert Hubbs III
Armani Moore
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
Josh Richardson
Pops Ndiaye

So, my guess at the depth chart:

PG: Lyle/Thompson
SG: Hubbs/Demery
SF: Richardson/Moore/Chevious
PF: Davis/Cofer/Reese
C: Hurt/Ndiaye

A little weak up front, but if UT got Lyle/Demery, that'd be a sick backcourt and one of the best in the country.

I feel real good about all the players on the list but Lyle hope I get surprised think he is going to Louisville.

A.J. Davis
Darius Thompson
Robert Hubbs III
Armani Moore
Quinton Chievous
Derek Reese
Josh Richardson
Pops Ndiaye

So now adding Cornish and Cofer, and no other freshman...

Thompson
Hubbs/ Cornish
Richardson/ Moore/Q
Davis/ Reese
Cofer/ Pops

That is:
1 5*
4 top 150 3*
5 3*

As it sits that's actually not bad, and is probably a top 6 team in the SEC. I truly don't think 14-15 is going to be near as bad as many thought.

So now adding Cornish and Cofer, and no other freshman...

Thompson
Hubbs/ Cornish
Richardson/ Moore/Q
Davis/ Reese
Cofer/ Pops

That is:
1 5*
4 top 150 3*
5 3*

As it sits that's actually not bad, and is probably a top 6 team in the SEC. I truly don't think 14-15 is going to be near as bad as many thought.

The potential is definitely there to be a great year. Just hoping we get a couple of the guys we're really in on. Don't think having a team that's halfway filled with 3* will get it done. With that said, I believe Zo will get a couple of the highly rated guys we're in on.

The potential is definitely there to be a great year. Just hoping we get a couple of the guys we're really in on. Don't think having a team that's halfway filled with 3* will get it done. With that said, I believe Zo will get a couple of the highly rated guys we're in on.

What do you think VCU is made up of? I'm not saying its the perfect way, but I also don't think you have to have all 5 stars to win (see Kentucky this year). I think a team compromised of mostly top 150 guys and a couple 4 or 5 stars is plenty talented enough, and that seems to be what Martin is looking to do. Surround guys like Cornish, Cofer, Davis, Thompson, Richardaon with guys like stokes, Hubbs, Lyle, looney and Lindsey.

just seems to be a smaller gap between the 130th best player and the 30th best player now than in the past.

at the risk of sounding chester cheesey, IMO effort and hard work make up for the slight difference in talent sometimes.

What do you think VCU is made up of? I'm not saying its the perfect way, but I also don't think you have to have all 5 stars to win (see Kentucky this year). I think a team compromised of mostly top 150 guys and a couple 4 or 5 stars is plenty talented enough, and that seems to be what Martin is looking to do. Surround guys like Cornish, Cofer, Davis, Thompson, Richardaon with guys like stokes, Hubbs, Lyle, looney and Lindsey.

Oh I agree. But you can't just pick vcu as an outlier in these situations. What about all the other teams that didn't make it like vcu.

All I'm saying is, we need a couple more highly touted guys in there to really compete in 14-15

Oh I agree. But you can't just pick vcu as an outlier in these situations. What about all the other teams that didn't make it like vcu.

All I'm saying is, we need a couple more highly touted guys in there to really compete in 14-15
Witchita State?

Hubbs is a 5* and will likely be here, Stokes a 5* and may be here, Cofer looks like he will end up a 4*. That's a pretty talented roster when it's surrounded by 4 or so 3* who were top 150 guys.

There's only 20 or so 5* every year, so obviously you don't have to have more than one 5* or even any to be successful. Does it increase your chances, sure, but I think finding guys who are ranked 90 and fit your system are much better than guys ranked 20th who don't.

Last edited:
Hubbs is a 5* and will likely be here, Stokes a 5* and may be here, Cofer looks like he will end up a 4*. That's a pretty talented roster when it's surrounded by 4 or so 3* were top 150 guys.

Like I said I think it'll be a great season and class. Just my personal opinion, just want a couple more highly touted players.

Like I said I think it'll be a great season and class. Just my personal opinion, just want a couple more highly touted players.

Are highly touted guys fun, sure, but what did that get UK last year. Woolridge was highly rated, but how'd that work, same for Kenny Hall. There's more to it than simply stars, evaluations are very important IMO of these guys and how they fit our system.

There's only 20 or so 5* every year, so obviously you don't have to have more than one 5* or even any to be successful. Does it increase your chances, sure, but I think finding guys who are ranked 90 and fit your system are much better than guys ranked 20th who don't and happen to have a 5th star.

Last edited:
Are highly touted guys fun, sure, but what did that get UK last year.

There's only 20 or so 5* every year, so obviously you don't have to have more than one 5* or even any to be successful. Does it increase your chances, sure, but I think finding guys who are ranked 90 and fit your system are much better than guys ranked 20th who don't and happen to have a 5th star.

I didn't say 5* players, just highly touted, many 4* as well

VN Store

Back