Maymon Should be 100 percent by July

SJAVol32

Jeronne Maymon: 'I should be 100 percent by the end of July' » govolsxtra.com Mobile

Jeronne Maymon’s road to recovery has been one pockmarked by setbacks, speculation and self-motivation.

The Tennessee forward played his last basketball game on March 19, 2012.

Complications from left knee surgery washed away his 2012-13 season. Now, though, Maymon says his road is clear and paved. The redshirt senior is participating in workouts, playing occasional five-on-five games and slowly rounding back into form.

“I should be 100 percent by the end of July,” he said Saturday.

Maymon spoke with optimism confined by experience.

He was supposed to be 100 percent prior to the Vols’ trip to Italy last summer. He wasn’t.

He was supposed to be 100 percent by preseason workouts. He wasn’t.

After missing the beginning of the season, he was supposed to be 100 percent by midyear.

Nope.

“It’s been very frustrating,” said Maymon, an All-SEC second team selection in 2011-12 after averaging 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game as a junior. “I’m really impatient right now. I want the season to be here and I want to be healthy.”

There is no longer any swelling in Maymon’s knee, and while running and jumping are still chores, both are at least pain-free. His current goals include losing some weight, strengthening his left quadriceps and improving his conditioning.

“You’ve got to be patient,” he said. “Sometimes I’m at home and I’m upset and angry. I can’t just go out there and play in an open gym anytime and do things I used to do. And when I am able to play I still think I can do certain things without having my strength, but I can’t.

“Right now I don’t really know the level that I’m at — it’s hard to put a number on it. I’m doing really good, but I can be so much better when I get my strength back and my ability to jump and can move without thinking.

“If I’m diligent in my work, everything is going to be fine.”

UT coach Cuonzo Martin was asked about Maymon last week during the SEC meetings in Destin, Fla. He was unflinching in responding, “I think he’ll be basketball-ready. He looks on pace to be 100 percent.”

It’s a prudent pace. Maymon says he isn’t rushing anything. His two-a-day workouts consist mainly of lifting and conditioning. He doesn’t do much unnecessary running, opting instead for a stationary bike.

He wants to scrimmage as much as possible, but team doctors, led by associate director of sports medicine Chad Newman, cage him at times.

“If I lose some weight and gain my strength back, I’ll feel like myself again, but right now, I just feel a little slow out there with the ball; a little sluggish,” Maymon said. “I think it will come back in time.”

Frustration aside, Maymon’s focus is trained on November 2013 — his scheduled return to Tennessee basketball.

He’s hoping for a one-way street.

“God willing, I’ll be out there, 100 percent, and doing everything I used to do and better,” Maymon said. “I’m really excited. I’m really anxious.”

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds optimistic.

Honestly, really, I want him to be 100% comfortable by SEC play.

Sounds optimistic.

Yeah the way he works I think he will be there by that time. I think they will still play it slowly until August

:)Boys we are going to be good, got that feeling been fan for 42 years and right most of the time, book it at least sweet 16 maybe elite 8, write it down and come back next March and see if im right, not bragging 90 percent right.:)

Sounds optimistic.

Cuonzo better hope he's 100% by August when practices start.

This team has to start strong, and not having Maymon out there, or not at 100% will make that difficult.

Athletes have come back from major knee surgery and be at 100% in the time Maymon has been out. I would have thought that he would be at 100% and in shape by now.

That's what scares me. If he's not 100% by now, what makes anyone think he will be by then?

Fingers crossed.

That's what scares me. If he's not 100% by now, what makes anyone think he will be by then?

Fingers crossed.

He had surgery last June I believe didn't encounter the infection until August or so. So this isn't too far fetched. He had to get fully rid of the infection then get back working out and all that. Now comes the running and basketball related stuff

Didnt CCM say in an interview in early May that Maymon was already 100%??? I could have sworn that he said that on Knox radio.

I have the uneasy feeling that Maymon is not going to be the force that he once was even after his recovery is completed.

Athletes have come back from major knee surgery and be at 100% in the time Maymon has been out. I would have thought that he would be at 100% and in shape by now.

Know a guy who just had a heart transplant yesterday morning, and was able to be taken off the strict observation last night as opposed to the 48 hour standard. People heal at different paces, no matter what you try to do about it.

I have the uneasy feeling that Maymon is not going to be the force that he once was even after his recovery is completed.

I feel the same and I really hope people give the young man the benefit of the doubt if he struggles this upcoming season.

Every person recovers on their own timeline, but that is with a successful surgery and no complications. If you get an infection after surgery, then all bets are off.

First, he has to be able to physically play. Second, he has to get in basketball shape. That may take some time. But, he should help the team regardless, just being out there.

Till he is back to running dfor his cardio, it's gonna be tough to lose weigh. I hope for his sake he is able to drop some lbs. Knee problems suck. But, knee problems while your carrying extra lbs, makes the recovery process even harder.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back