Cuonzo releases Landry

myknoxnews.knoxnews.com
Cuonzo Martin, UT release Travon Landry from letter of intent. More on m.govolsxtra.com

Words from his father in the article seem bitter, but respectfully so. I mean after all, it is his son.

So is this necessarily bad?

I know coach Martin had to do this but this kid has been a vol sense 2011 and then out of left field you are told to look else where the kid got to feel bad plus the kid we took the other day would sit the bench in a pick up game in a park doesnt make it better, if the the kid was Wiggins it would still be wrong but this other kid we took the other day makes me wonder what going on.

Reactions: 1 person
I know coach Martin had to do this but this kid has been a vol sense 2011 and then out of left field you are told to look else where the kid got to feel bad plus the kid we took the other day would sit the bench in a pick up game in a park doesnt make it better, if the the kid was Wiggins it would still be wrong but this other kid we took the other day makes me wonder what going on.

I think this could really hurt us if we ever have any shot to get in at a place like HP. JMOP.

It's just business. Good call by CCM. Now let's get ready to Dance in 2014!! Elite 8 or better.

Kid and dad need to be realistic. Its a pivotal year for CM and he better get some players for after this year, assuming he will be here. You can't roll in shooting 2-29 and putting up stats of a bench warmer and expect to keep a d1 scholarship and to lead a team.

Reactions: 4 people
He would have made a better preferred walk on than some of the other jokers that ride that bench..

Kid and dad need to be realistic. Its a pivotal year for CM and he better get some players for after this year, assuming he will be here. You can't roll in shooting 2-29 and putting up stats of a bench warmer and expect to keep a d1 scholarship and to lead a team.

Or maybe CCM needs to do a better job of evaluating talent.

Reactions: 11 people
Or maybe CCM needs to do a better job of evaluating talent.
Coach Martin needs to hire an assistant coach who is a much better talent evaluator than he is and let him make the decisions on who to recruit. Because Martin is NOT a good Talent evaluator!!

Committed since 2011 and signed his letter of intent.

Nothing like stringing a kid along and telling him to beat it when he had his future all planned out. Pretty sure Martin pulled this with Washpun too when Washpun was torn on staying home to go to the University of Iowa which was 20 minutes from where he grew up. Ultimately he chose Tennessee and a year later Martin told him to leave. Should have just left the kid alone and let him stay home.

The same people ignoring this are probably some of the same people who talk crap about Pearl and call him sleazy. Because ya know, messing with a kid's future is classy and all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I am sure the coaching staff told him his chance for playing time was 0 and none and he asked for the release. I don't think a Coach can pull a scholarship that has been signed without good reason. I am sure Landry made the request himself but I'm also thinking he got negative feedback on playing time if he came to Tennessee. Bruce Pearl did this a couple times when he was here.

I am sure the coaching staff told him his chance for playing time was 0 and none and he asked for the release. I don't think a Coach can pull a scholarship that has been signed without good reason. I am sure Landry made the request himself but I'm also thinking he got negative feedback on playing time if he came to Tennessee. Bruce Pearl did this a couple times when he was here.

When did bruce do that.......I can't think of a coach that's done it off the top of my head.....I'm sure BTO will google it for me lol

VN Store

Back