Early look at next year's SEC (Subject to change)

TeazyT

Where's Rommel?
So I know that this year's recruiting season isn't even over yet, but I thought it'd be fun to take a look at how the SEC is shaping out right now. So i evaluated each team and ranked them. Bottom line is SEC will be much better next year. Hope I wasn't biased!

Florida- Florida is losing their 3 leading scorers, F-Erik Murphy (12.8 ppg),G-Mike Rosario (12.5 ppg),G-Kenny Boynton-12.1 ppg). However they are still bringing in a top 10 recruiting class. Joining the Gators, G-Kasey Hill (#9- ESPN 100) and F-Chris Walker (#14- ESPN 100). Billy D always has a good team, and this year will be no exception.

Kentucky- Still a lot of question marks surrounding Cal's team for the 2013-14. However the bottom line is, this team will be the most talented in the SEC without a doubt. Gaining arguably the greatest recruiting class in CBB history.Adding 6 5 star recruits ( 5 of which are Mcdonald's AAs) Kentucky still needs to sort out their roster. But once that's finished, expect this team to make some noise.

Ole Miss-Losing Reginald Buckner and Murphy Holloway down low is bound to hurt the Rebs a lot. Not to mention their recruiting class so far is looking pretty weak (A 3 star and a couple of no-names). Don't expect the Rebs to be as good as they were last year.

Vanderbilt- A very young team, the dores are losing no one from last year's squad. But they are also helped out by the addition of Damian Jones (#82- ESPN 100). The dores showed some promise late last year in the SEC tourney, they should show some improvement with their experience from last year along with Jones joining the squad.

Missouri- Frank Haith's seat is getting hot, and the loss of three starters (Bowers, Oriakhi, and Bell) shouldn't help in cooling it down. However, Haith is bringing in a strong recruiting class, ranked 21st in the nation. Joining the Tigers are F- Jonathan Williams (#54 ESPN 100) and G- Wes Clark (#83 ESPN 100). UPDATE: HUGE blow with Pressey gone. Sorry Tigers

Tennessee- Make or break year for Coach Cuonzo Martin. Only contributor Big Orange is losing is Skylar Mcbee, the Vols are looking to finally make a return trip to the tournament. With a healthy Jerron Maymon, and incoming guard Robert Hubbs (#34 ESPN 100). Veteran leadership and experience will be the driving force of this team. GO BIG ORANGE!

LSU-Looking to be a very hot team. With a top 10 recruiting class and losing no notable players, Lsu is looking to become a powerhouse. Joining the Tigers are F-Jarrell Martin (#10 ESPN 300), F-Jordan Mickey (#54 ESPN 100), and G-Tim Quarterman (#84 ESPN 100)

Georgia- The one brightspot on this Bulldog team, KCP, is likely going to the draft. Georgia also has a terrible recruiting class coming in. Dog fight for the 13 seed in the SEC tournament this year? (Miss State + Georgia)

Mississippi State- One of the worst SEC teams i've ever had to watch. And besides a 3 star, they're looking at a pretty weak incoming class. Looks like Stansberry got out at the right time.

Texas A&M- TAMU is losing one of the most dynamic players in the SEC in Elston Turner. However, they do have a decent class coming in consisting of a couple of 3 stars. The aggies aren't gonna be a powerhouse, but they should be competitive.

Arkansas- Arkansas will be taking a big hit next season with the loss of G- BJ Young and(15.2 ppg, 3.2 apg) and G-Marshawn Powell (14.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg) to the draft. However the incoming Top 20 class consisting of F- Bobby Portis (#13 ESPN 100) and C-Moses Kingsley (#46 ESPN 100) will hope to fill the scoring void left by the dynamic Young. If Coach Anderson can get his boys to play well away from home(1-13 on the road last season) and fix the depleted frontcourt left by the departures of Young and Powell, Arkansas could crack the top 7 in the SEC.

Alabama- Anthony Grant's team seems to be one of the bubble teams every year (much like Tennessee). With all players from last year returning and an incoming top 35 class headed by C-Jimmie Taylor (#71 ESPN 100) and F-Shannon Hale (#94 ESPN 100) Alabama could easily be an SEC contender.

South Carolina- Frank Martin has successfully recruited a top 40 recruiting class headlined by G-Sindarius Thornwell (#39 ESPN 100). The gamecocks have lost no players, so they should show at least some improvement this year.

Auburn-Auburn was a young team last year that lost numerous close games, and their record didn't nearly show how good they actually were. Unfortunately the Tigers are losing a lot of talent this year, and the only real player they're getting out of their recruiting class is a 3 star. At the end of next season you can probably find them down at the bottom of the SEC with Mississippi State and Georgia.

Ranking the teams:
1)Kentucky
2)Florida
3)Tennessee
4)LSU
5)Alabama
6)Ole Miss
7)Vanderbilt
8)Arkansas
9) Missouri
10)Texas A&M
11)South Carolina
12)Auburn
13)Mississippi State
14)Georgia

Thanks for reading! GBO!:clapping:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I know the kitty cats will have one of the so called best classes in BB history, thats young and with a healthy JM and Stokes with one more year under his belt, we can play with the puddy cats, still come down to POINT GUARD for us, if we get good point guard play i dont see no reason this team cant do some great things in March, like your picking order looks pretty good.

You're correct, i was trying to include only the main contributor's for each team but i probably should have made that clearer. Thanks for catching that

Kenny contributed about as much to the 2012-2013 squad as Skylar did. From starts, to minutes, to points, to overall effectiveness they were about equal.

Kenny contributed about as much to the 2012-2013 squad as Skylar did. From starts, to minutes, to points, to overall effectiveness they were about equal.

Not sure about that, you can point to Skylar in a few games as a marquee player in some games(1st Vandy game, TAMU). Without him we would have lost those, the same cannot be said for Hall IMO besides MAYBE Auburn.

Vandy will finish higher than 9th. Not sold Florida doesn't drop off. I think there's a shot O'Bryant III leaves.

LSU will be very good. So will UT and Florida. All three should make the tourney or itll be disappointing.

Kentucky will win the National Championship. They should be ashamed if they do not.

Reactions: 1 person
Vandy will finish higher than 9th. Not sold Florida doesn't drop off. I think there's a shot O'Bryant III leaves.

Furthest I would push Vandy would be 8th, top 7 is gonna be hard to crack. Even if Florida drops off, they will not drop out of the top 4. Donnovan can outcoach just about every coach in the SEC, that will get them a long way.

If Patricia leaves which I think she will I definitely see Florida taking a step back.
Stokes is just as likely to leave as Young.

Either way, we'll still have Wilbekin, Frazier, Prather, and Yeguete, and will be adding Hill, Walker, Finney-Smith (former 5* SF transfer from VT) and Harris (PF/C transfer from South Carolina).

We'll probably be a work in progress early on, but we'll still have more talent than anyone in the SEC (other than UK, obviously). It's not like we'll be lacking experience either, with seniors Wilbekin, Yeguete, and Prather.

If Patricia leaves which I think she will I definitely see Florida taking a step back.

Patric Young really has no choice this year to not leave. And he was listed in the Top 20 at NBADRaftexpress.com recently. I mean Stokes will be in the same position next year as Young is. And I would put Tennessee ahead of Florida if this happens. Go Vols!

Furthest I would push Vandy would be 8th, top 7 is gonna be hard to crack. Even if Florida drops off, they will not drop out of the top 4. Donnovan can outcoach just about every coach in the SEC, that will get them a long way.
I'd slide Vandy ahead of Arkansas. Powell is gone (Europe likely) and Young is expected to leave. They'll be fine in the frontcourt, but their backcourt will still be a mess and I doubt they'll improve much on the road.

Either way, we'll still have Wilbekin, Frazier, Prather, and Yeguete, and will be adding Hill, Walker, Finney-Smith (former 5* SF transfer from VT) and Harris (PF/C transfer from South Carolina).

We'll probably be a work in progress early on, but we'll still have more talent than anyone in the SEC (other than UK, obviously). It's not like we'll be lacking experience either, with seniors Wilbekin, Yeguete, and Prather.
Patric Young is 2 years ahead of Stokes. Remember Stokes technically this year was a true Frosh. Its time for Young to go Pro. Next year will be Stokes' time.

I'd slide Vandy ahead of Arkansas. Powell is gone (Europe likely) and Young is expected to leave. They'll be fine in the frontcourt, but their backcourt will still be a mess and I doubt they'll improve much on the road.

Definitely agree here. I have never seen a team in 2 years this bad on the road maybe in any conference. Its really unbelievable. Yes I would slide Vandy over Arky until Arky proves they can win on the road and I don't think they will this year either if they suffer attrition.

BJ Young and Patric Young are both on the fence in terms of going into the draft in my opinion, both are in a wait in see position, I think both could go as high as late first round to as low as middle-late second round depending on which top players from other schools declare. Both could use another year, JMO. And on the Arkansas road problems, as this team gets older and matures more their woes on the road will start to subside and they will learn how to manage hostile envrionments.

How do you figure? Patricia is on a lot more mock drafts than Stokes.

NBA draftnet has him going right at the beginning of the second round, while stokes is nowhere to be found. He can go this year or next year in a much stronger draft, stokes has the option of 2 more years.

The chances of Patricia going are much higher than Stokes going IMO.

How do you figure? Patricia is on a lot more mock drafts than Stokes.

NBA draftnet has him going right at the beginning of the second round, while stokes is nowhere to be found. He can go this year or next year in a much stronger draft, stokes has the option of 2 more years.

The chances of Patricia going are much higher than Stokes going IMO.
DraftExpress has Young at the beginning of the second round in 2013, while they have Stokes at the beginning of the second round in 2014. NBAdraft.net has Young towards the end of the second round in 2013.

They have no clue as to who will actually be declaring or staying; they're just guessing. Young and Stokes have similar stocks.

VN Store

Back