How do you feel about next year's team?

1985Vols

I think as long as everyone ( Stokes and McRae) come back and Maymon returns healthy, we could be a Sweet 16 talented team. If CCM will sign a PG, maybe even Elite 8?? There is a PG in JC, Dre Matthieu who is from Knoxville that would make this an entirely different team. He can score and distribute the ball. Played at Knox Central. Why is CCM not all over this kid? Last I heard UCLA and Pepperdine were very interested in offering him. What is CCM waiting on?

Martin wants and looks like he's going to land Darius Thompson, solid PG from middle Tennessee.

With the addition of Thompson this is definitely a sweet 16 team, if Hubbs matches the hype, mcrae and stokes return and Maymon comes back close to 100%...the team has as much talent+experience as any team in the country IMO.

Reactions: 4 people
The kid that walked on at Morehead State? Interesting that he's getting good offers now. Glad he's doing well.

how about some of the posters on here that might have a year left. seems a lot knows who we should get and how they should be coached. its so funny to read what these dumb azzs say

I feel good about the team. It is definitely a tournament team. It's too early to tell whether it's a Sweet 16 team though. The tournament can be such a crapshoot, you never can tell if a team has what it takes to get that deep.

But we should have no problems making the tournament with the talent we have returning, and with the talent we are adding IMO. And I think Cuonzo will get it done.

Martin wants and looks like he's going to land Darius Thompson, solid PG from middle Tennessee.

With the addition of Thompson this is definitely a sweet 16 team, if Hubbs matches the hype, mcrae and stokes return and Maymon comes back close to 100%...the team has as much talent+experience as any team in the country IMO.

Not to be that guy, but this season was supposed to filled with certainty like you're saying for next year. I cannot predict it one way or the other just like I feel that we could fall flat on our faces or make a run next year. Next year will truly have to be an "as we go from one game to the next" season. Even without Maymon, there was no reason to lose to UGA and Ole Miss twice. This team is schizophrenic and anyone who feels certain that we are dancing next year should slow down.

Not to be that guy, but this season was supposed to filled with certainty like you're saying for next year. I cannot predict it one way or the other just like I feel that we could fall flat on our faces or make a run next year. Next year will truly have to be an "as we go from one game to the next" season. Even without Maymon, there was no reason to lose to UGA and Ole Miss twice. This team is schizophrenic and anyone who feels certain that we are dancing next year should slow down.

The certainty this year went out the window when our best player went down.

Reactions: 5 people
Too early for me to say.

Depends on if Stokes and McRae come back, (which they should and I think they will) and if Maymon is 100%.

IF those things happen and Hubbs is everything we believe he is, then there's no reason we can't get to the Sweet 16.

IF we land the PG you speak of, I feel much better about next year's team.

However, as a UT fan, I've learned things normally don't shape up the way we expect when it appears better times are on the horizon.

Darius Thompson is very thin and did not look quick enough to cover SEC point guards. He and Hubbs are a lot alike in that they are tall, athletic guys who don't shoot real well from the outside (Hubbs will be more ready to contribute than Thompson).

Both will be great additions to the program but they will not be difference makers next year.

My biggest concern is a possible scenario where Stokes leaves, and Maymon isn't 100% or able to play at all again next year.

Not saying that I think this will happen, but it's at least somewhat of a possibility and it would be worse case scenario in my opinion.

IF that happened, we would be completely screwed on the post.

Darius Thompson is very thin and did not look quick enough to cover SEC point guards. He and Hubbs are a lot alike in that they are tall, athletic guys who don't shoot real well from the outside (Hubbs will be more ready to contribute than Thompson).

Both will be great additions to the program but they will not be difference makers next year.

You are wrong on this. Both of those guys can shoot very well from long range.

Reactions: 1 person

Good f***ing lord.

Reactions: 1 person
If Maymon comes back and plays like a dynamo and the incoming players pan out, I think we'll be much better than this year's squad. The thing that worries me most is that Cuonzo and his staff don't seem to be very good at player development.

..start discussing who the next coach (not pearl) is going to be!!! Clownzo must go

While I think the uy is still out on CCM , especially his ability to make adjustments in game, I think we all need to realize he has a 2nd place SEC finish (last year) and a 5th place finish this year (after losing his best player before the season). As long as he can recruit, I think CCM will be a good coach for us. Already has brought in 2- 5* players which is more than Pearl. Biggest problem with recruiting seems to be alot of "wasted" scholarships on players like Edwards, Makanjoula, and Miller.

If Maymon comes back and plays like a dynamo and the incoming players pan out, I think we'll be much better than this year's squad. The thing that worries me most is that Cuonzo and his staff don't seem to be very good at player development.

Again, I must disagree. Case in point, McRae, Richardson and even Chievous have taken their games to another level under CCM.

Reactions: 2 people
We need a pure shooter plain and simple. There is no one on this team that could consistently shoot from 12-18 feet out. That along with free throw shooting was a problem all year. When you hold teams under 60 points the way we did this year our record should have been better.

Here is a question for all to mull over and debate, would you rather in today's cbk rather have a 2-3 star 6'3-6'5 deadly shooter or a 4-5 6'7-6'9star all around player who may or may not be a good shooter?

In today's cbk landscape players who are deadly from 12-18 feet seem to be rare here lately everyone shoots 3s or dunks.

Food for thought go vols!!

VN Store

Back