Tennessee basketball 14th best program in the nation

If we can do this with an NIT tournament team, just imagine what we can do with a team like we will have next season.

I don't think its best program, I think it's most valuable program. I would think we would have more profit than alot of others since we have the #6 attendance in the nation. I guess not as many donations, etc as other schools

Some teams get revenue from the naming rights of their arenas (Louisville & Wisconsin). Regarding Duke, the article said they changed their accounting practices and they spend more than them.

Sorry to be "negavol" but the ranking looks to be significantly skewed as a result of their own ranking criterion:

"The team's surge in value is partially tied to academic contributions that totaled $6.4 million last year, but those payments will soon cease as Tennessee's athletic department attempts to stabilize its budget."

It seems very unlikely that Tennessee will place next year under this same evaluation. All of this is to say that this poll doesn't really matter. We are one of the best programs in the nation and we will continue to be so even when we fall from the ranks of the Forbes polls of the world.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Tennessee is second only to Kentucky within our conference on this list. I know the numbers concerning UT are scewed because of academic contributions that are expected to end, but this is an impressive list to be on, regardless.

This is exactly why Coach Martin's seat is very cool to the touch. The AD will not even entertain the idea of a coaching change unless revenue heads south. It's like any company making something, as long as the product is selling and making a profit, they'll keep feeding it to the masses. Coaching changes are always money decisions.

That's a very misleading thread title. The list is about monetary value, not about the 'best teams in the nation'.

VN Store

Back