Misconceptions about the NCAA Tournament

omghulkhands

- It isn't about scheduling or who you beat if you look at MTSU as an example. Beat 1 teams in the top 100 and got in. UT had 9 wins against the top 100.

-In counter to my previous statement many former tournament officials explained that Maryland and Iowa were punished for poor non-con scheduling which is a contradiction to teams like St.Mary, La Salle and MTSU getting in who also had poor non-con schedules.

-Unlike Maryland,Iowa, MTSU, St. Mary and La Salle UT had a strong non-con schedule and was left out.

-Read the three points previous to this about 5 times and see if your head doesn't explode

-Choosing bubble teams has nothing to do with ticket sales or tv markets as Maryland, Iowa and UT were all left out in favor of very small schools

-Ending your season strongly and displaying you are not the same team from early in the season apparently means a hill of beans. UT has shown that twice and was left out.

-Lunardi is pretty accurate at predicting the field and gauging whatver BS metric is used to determine the teams in and out. The hate on him for not having UT in the field was unjustified, he was right all along.

- A lot of us thought that 20 wins would get us there and we were wrong.

- If Ole Miss doesn't win the tournament and gets bounced a round earlier do they get in? Would UT be in instead? Would the SEC just have gotten 2 teams in otherwise?

Reactions: 1 person
But a lot of us didn't think we would lose to Georgia during our streak. We beat Georgia and only have 20 wins I think we would be in.

But a lot of us didn't think we would lose to Georgia during our streak. We beat Georgia and only have 20 wins I think we would be in.

Cal made it in with consecutive losses to UNLV and Utah to finish out. Utah is pretty comparable to UGA and looking at their resume' compared to ours that too seems like a team we should of been in ahead of.

edit: meant Stanford and not UNLV

two pretty bad teams

Reactions: 2 people
Well, MTSU had the RPI 9th ranked non-Con schedule.

St. Mary's is sort of funny, people were referencing them like they were already in after they lost to Gonzaga in the WAC tourney. I can't really see why, though. Maybe because they haven't lost to any team besides Gonzaga since December 23rd.

Indeed. I said the 20 win crap means nothing anymore. More games are played now and that mark means nothing. And truthfully, going back and forth with what if's does nothing. We aren't in and need to accept it. Maybe next year, instead of going on a run at the end of the season for a THIRD year, we should just handle business all year and avoid 30 point games. But IMO, UT gets in if we made it to the title game in the SECT. No one knows for sure though because Ole Miss got no love for being Mizzou and handling Florida in the title game. It was almost like "darn...let's put these idiots in". So who knows.

St. Mary's is sort of funny, people were referencing them like they were already in after they lost to Gonzaga in the WAC tourney. I can't really see why, though. Maybe because they haven't lost to any team besides Gonzaga since December 23rd.

and Creighton is a nice win, even if it was at home. Also, you just don't leave teams out with RPIs in the 30's

The real question is...... HOW IS THIS THE 9TH RANKED OOC???????

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/64538

we were awful on the road......there is a thin line between all the points made. but cause how we travel, i thought for sure we'd get in......

oh yeah.....and Boise freaking State? Seriously?

Boise had a lot better wins than we did (at least on paper). Not arguing with you or anything..I'm just saying...Boise State had two bad losses and they were road games. They didn't do much on the road against decent teams but that's four wins against teams in the top 30.

Boise had a lot better wins than we did (at least on paper). Not arguing with you or anything..I'm just saying...Boise State had two bad losses and they were road games. They didn't do much on the road against decent teams but that's four wins against teams in the top 30.

Florida IMO is a better win than Creighton which was their best win. Outside that they split with UNLV, went 0-2 vs UNM and went 1-2 to SDSU. they also split with CSU.

I am looking at it from a common sense point of view and what their resume' compared to ours says is that the committee thought the MWC was leaps and bounds better than the SEC to justify them over us.

Look guys, I am just butthurt. That is all there is to it. Sorry if I seem irrational at all.

Try living in Murfreesboro with the most delusional fan base in all of college athletics.

BTW...... they stand until the opposing team scores. STUPID

- It isn't about scheduling or who you beat if you look at MTSU as an example. Beat 1 teams in the top 100 and got in. UT had 9 wins against the top 100.

-In counter to my previous statement many former tournament officials explained that Maryland and Iowa were punished for poor non-con scheduling which is a contradiction to teams like St.Mary, La Salle and MTSU getting in who also had poor non-con schedules.

-Unlike Maryland,Iowa, MTSU, St. Mary and La Salle UT had a strong non-con schedule and was left out.

-Ending your season strongly and displaying you are not the same team from early in the season apparently means a hill of beans. UT has shown that twice and was left out.

-Lunardi is pretty accurate at predicting the field and gauging whatver BS metric is used to determine the teams in and out. The hate on him for not having UT in the field was unjustified, he was right all along.

Prior to the snub I wrote about La Salle and to this point still cannot understand how their body of work was judged to be better than Tennessee's. I feel the same way about Mt. St. Mary's. It seems UT was actually penalized for going out there and taking on Georgetown and UVA, etc. Of course, it is what it is, and this of course is why you play your way in definitively (see Ole Miss) and beat Bama and don't leave it in the hands of the committee to possibly screw you. Because in this case, the committee did screw Tennessee.

About Lunardi- I wonder, is this just self-fulfilling prophesy? Meaning, the committee has access to espn.com too. I wonder how much influence Lunardi actually has on the field itself- pretty easy to avoid major controversy if you just go with what he's got. If the selection process is so complex and so subjective, ask yourself this: how did Lunardi and little Seth get the field exactly correct??? Not calling conspiracy of course, I'm just saying that I think the committee pays a lot more attention to the "bracketologists" than they report as opposed to their independent high level sophisticated BS "process" to select the teams.

Around-and-Around we go. If you are really serious about getting in the Tourney and advancing you do not leave it up to a committee of strangers to pick your fate. You go out and seize it. Beggars are never respected!

Around-and-Around we go. If you are really serious about getting in the Tourney and advancing you do not leave it up to a committee of strangers to pick your fate. You go out and seize it. Beggars are never respected!

OUCH...Truth!

Ole Miss left all doubt out and won the tournament. That's the most sure way of getting in.

One of their top 30 wins was on the road. Just enough to slide them past us.

Vol Fans:
Several years ago, I suggested to Lee Fowler, who was on the selection committee, that a wide open system of selecting be put into effect; that every team in Division one be invited in the NCAA tournament. That all of the conference tournaments be discontinued. He was strongly against dropping conference tournaments because of the loss of revenue. I suggested that with the extra games that would be in the NCAA that a bigger payout could be had by all. I think at the time the payout for a NCAA game was $150000. If that held true today I think that the pay would be about the same as it is today. If that program was adopted then we would not have teams that are deserving to not be invited. Also we would take several individuals out of the decision making and probably have a fairer selection process.

VN Store

Back