Everyone needs to calm down...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Martin haters, Martin lovers, Pearl haters, Pearl lovers, Mears lovers, Jerry Green lovers, Kevin O'Neill haters, etc. etc.

1) Coach Martin and Tennessee blew a lot of golden opportunities to seal a tourney bid. There's no doubt that. However, UT still should have gotten in. This whole "Well, it doesn't matter because we could have played better" is true, but doesn't hide the fact that UT got the shaft.

2) UT won twenty regular season games without their best player playing a single minute this year. If I told you that was going to happen before the season, 95% of you would have jumped for joy at that.

3) I know the NIT is not the NCAA Tourney, but these players put in thousands upon thousands of hours for YOUR entertainment. I don't care how upset you are, you should watch A) Because it's Tennessee and you should always watch Tennessee when you can, because you don't always get that opportunity. B) You should always support the university. C) These players deserve that, especially with all the adversity they've overcome this season.

4) Coach Martin is the coach here. He's going to be the coach here. He's not getting fired, whether he should be or not. There's almost no point in talking about new coaches. We can do that next year if he fails.

5) If UT doesn't make the tourney next year, Martin should and will be fired. Period.

6) Martin needs to figure out how to get the team to grasp the offense better. It's his biggest weakness. It's why we didn't make the tourney and that's inexcusable.

7) The constant bickering and bringing up the same point in a myriad of threads, by both sides, need to stop. Like now.

8) My advice isn't worth much, but here it is: Calm down, support the team in the NIT, enjoy the best four days in sports with the NCAAT this week, maybe go see the Baseball Vols this weekend, say a prayer for Jeronne Maymon's knee, get a drink to toast to Jordan McRae's season, get a grip, and come back tomorrow and let's start talking about next year's team, which will be preseason top 25, and, personally, I think, is going to make some big noise next year. And enjoy that really long run on sentence.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 people
No way, Pearl would've coached 'em up and had them at least a 6 seed. Fire Martin immediately and bring in Gruden.

Reactions: 3 people
Martin haters, Martin lovers, Pearl haters, Pearl lovers, Mears lovers, Jerry Green lovers, Kevin O'Neill haters, etc. etc.

1) Coach Martin and Tennessee blew a lot of golden opportunities to seal a tourney bid. There's no doubt that. However, UT still should have gotten in. This whole "Well, it doesn't matter because we could have played better" is true, but doesn't hide the fact that UT got the shaft.

2) UT won twenty regular season games without their best player playing a single minute this year. If I told you that was going to happen before the season, 95% of you would have jumped for joy at that.

3) I know the NIT is not the NCAA Tourney, but these players put in thousands upon thousands of hours for YOUR entertainment. I don't care how upset you are, you should watch A) Because it's Tennessee and you should always watch Tennessee when you can, because you don't always get that opportunity. B) You should always support the university. C) These players deserve that, especially with all the adversity they've overcome this season.

A lot of good points in your post, but I've got to draw attention to the bolded portion.

I would like to assume that they put the time into practicing because they enjoy the game and they can improve their skills. I would be a bit concerned if their main motivation was entertaining me.

Reactions: 4 people
A lot of good points in your post, but I've got to draw attention to the bolded portion.

I would like to assume that they put the time into practicing because they enjoy the game and they can improve their skills. I would be a bit concerned if their main motivation was entertaining me.

That's what sports is/has become. Entertainment.

I'm sure they love to play the game. Maybe I should phrased that better.

They put time in to hone their skills, but the result is for our entertainment. Without us means no money. Without money, there is no program.

5) If UT doesn't make the tourney next year, Martin should and will be fired. Period.

6) Martin needs to figure out how to get the team to grasp the offense better. It's his biggest weakness. It's why we didn't make the tourney and that's inexcusable.

These are the biggest points. Yes I know we still have games to play, but this is what is on my mind already.

Next year is make it or break it for Martin. He has GOT to get the team playing better in the early part of the season. No more of these sluggish starts. If we're staring at 11-10/12-9 in February, then he's pretty much done in my eyes. I'm not falling for this "get hot in February" again.

Now having said all that, I really don't believe Martin will get fired after next year if we have the same thing happen next year. I think it will get him a 4th year, but the fans will be on edge. He needs to make it happen next year.

Reactions: 1 person

4) Coach Martin is the coach here. He's going to be the coach here. He's not getting fired, whether he should be or not. There's almost no point in talking about new coaches. We can do that next year if he fails.

7) The constant bickering and bringing up the same point in a myriad of threads, by both sides, need to stop. Like now.

8) My advice isn't worth much, but here it is: Calm down, support the team in the NIT, enjoy the best four days in sports with the NCAAT this week, maybe go see the Baseball Vols this weekend, say a prayer for Jeronne Maymon's knee, get a drink to toast to Jordan McRae's season, get a grip, and come back tomorrow and let's start talking about next year's team, which will be preseason top 25, and, personally, I think, is going to make some big noise next year. And enjoy that really long run on sentence.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

Agree with everything that you wrote. I just hope that maymon is a 100% next yr.

CBP era was the best time in UT BB history since late Mears/early DeVoe years ..second place is not even close.

Beat me up if you want but like I said before Cuonzo Martin = NIT. That is the trend as of right now.

Tennessee had a solid basketball season and were deserving of a bid. It's an absolute travesty that out of 14 teams, the SEC got only 3 into the tourney. Martin looked absolutely distraught in his presser tonight and I feel bad for the team to fall this short because the way the league is looked at.

Excellent OP.

Go look at St. Mary's schedule and results this past season and then tell me UT shouldn't be at least in a play-in game against MTSU. Even those two play-in game teams had a higher seed than Ole Miss, which won the conference tourney beating a 3 seed in the process. It was a major screw job.

So hopefully next season there will be no question and they will learn to schedule weaker mid-major teams in their OOC schedule to get more credit with the village idiots that select the field.

I love Bruce as much as anybody but what the pearl lovers never want to admit is that having a mediocre roster now is mostly Pearl's fault. I don't think coaching has been the problem as much as the roster.

Cuonzo has had his flaws in recruiting but he was also left with 6 scholarship players. One of those a former walk on. And when Cuonzo was hired, we still had the NCAA in our backyard.

So to say "pearl would have coached them up" is a bit unfair. Pearl inherited a roster with an nba point guard and one of the best shooters to ever play college basketball. Cuonzo inherited a handful of bench players and was forced to add bodies in short time.

Reactions: 7 people
Agree with everything that you wrote. I just hope that maymon is a 100% next yr.

Yep and use the snub as motivation to win the SEC and get a 1 or 2 seed!

Unbelievable the SEC only gets 3 teams in the tournament that ludicrous. :ermm:

:dance2:

Tennesseeduke

I love Bruce as much as anybody but what the pearl lovers never want to admit is that having a mediocre roster now is mostly Pearl's fault. I don't think coaching has been the problem as much as the roster.

Cuonzo has had his flaws in recruiting but he was also left with 6 scholarship players. One of those a former walk on. And when Cuonzo was hired, we still had the NCAA in our backyard.

So to say "pearl would have coached them up" is a bit unfair. Pearl inherited a roster with an nba point guard and one of the best shooters to ever play college basketball. Cuonzo inherited a handful of bench players and was forced to add bodies in short time.

Be careful, my friend. The Pearllites will come back and ask why Buzz didn't win with those players. It really is getting old to compare. It is flat out silly. Martin started out behind. He could have won some more games, but I thought this year was a pretty good job considering Maymon was out.

Be careful, my friend. The Pearllites will come back and ask why Buzz didn't win with those players. It really is getting old to compare. It is flat out silly. Martin started out behind. He could have won some more games, but I thought this year was a pretty good job considering Maymon was out.

I'd say because Buzz was a poor coach.

Ccm could have won more, I agree. I thought he did a pretty good job this year. I just think our biggest weakness is our roster. Martin has taken some questionable commits which has made it worse but I don't think there's any question that the roster was worse when Bruce left than when he arrived.

My point in all this is to say that expectations on this team have been inflated and premature. Next year is judgement year for CCM, not this year.

Next season is Martin's 6th year of coaching.
If he makes the dance he'll have bested Pearl by 5 years, Knight by 2 and Coach K by 3.
Now what's all the fuss about Martin?
give him his chance.

VN Store

Back