TO strategy that used to be unheard of

PowerSweep

And neither good nor bad I guess just something I have noticed. You watch a game from say more than 10-15 yrs ago and you'd almost never see a timeout called after your team made a bucket outside of a "save the clock" situation. Now it is commonplace to see it. Anyone else notice this?

Yea. It's become pretty common, Martin gets crucified on here for it, Billy D just did it a minute ago in this game....seeing it more and more.

And neither good nor bad I guess just something I have noticed. You watch a game from say more than 10-15 yrs ago and you'd almost never see a timeout called after your team made a bucket outside of a "save the clock" situation. Now it is commonplace to see it. Anyone else notice this?

Probably in order to be able to set up the D. Typically I've seen it with teams that like to run to keep them from getting the ball out of the net and pushing it. But still kinda odd, I admit.

It seems to be defensive minded coaches I've noticed....yea we scored but I don't like what we are doing defensively type of deal.

Some strategies are just dumb...the most common one is taking players out f foul trouble...you're worried about a player's time on court being reduced so you reduce his time on court. Brilliant.

Taking players out w :30 left in half and then starting 2H not as impactful but more silly...you're saying a foul w 19:46 left is substantially different than one with 20:08 left. Brilliant

But the timeout thing not really good or bad. Not being able.to move the ball to halfcourt w a to in college makes them not as valuable late as say in nba.

Reactions: 1 person
Some strategies are just dumb...the most common one is taking players out f foul trouble...you're worried about a player's time on court being reduced so you reduce his time on court. Brilliant.

Taking players out w :30 left in half and then starting 2H not as impactful but more silly...you're saying a foul w 19:46 left is substantially different than one with 20:08 left. Brilliant

But the timeout thing not really good or bad. Not being able.to move the ball to halfcourt w a to in college makes them not as valuable late as say in nba.

I think taking players out with foul trouble is more about crunch time then worrying about their time on the court.

Nothing the same anymore, trying to take hitting out of football, BB the same way just not like it was a few years ago.

I used to be a basketball coach ( high school, middle school) and I would call a timeout after a made basket to set up the defense mostly for pressing purposes, most of the time it's caused they didn't do it the possession before lol. Sometimes I would do it to get a sub in or even to calm them down a little bit, but you do see it more now then you used to. Coaches differ on it but I think when used right it can be effective.

I think calling timeouts within 10 seconds of a tv timeout are a bad idea. I know what he's thinking, I just don't like it, unless we are gassed and it's a last ditch necessity. I especially don't like it after a shooter hits a shot. You don't need a TO there. Shout any instructions to the pg and keep the momentum. You just scored, but now give the other team time to regroup. Basketball is about runs, and imo, a TO there stops one.

I used to be a basketball coach ( high school, middle school) and I would call a timeout after a made basket to set up the defense mostly for pressing purposes, most of the time it's caused they didn't do it the possession before lol. Sometimes I would do it to get a sub in or even to calm them down a little bit, but you do see it more now then you used to. Coaches differ on it but I think when used right it can be effective.

No doubt, but we seldom press and seldom changeup defenses.

Reactions: 1 person
It seems to be defensive minded coaches I've noticed....yea we scored but I don't like what we are doing defensively type of deal.

I agree with you BTO. I'm a HS coach in Indiana and timeouts after scores are much more common now. Anytime an opposing coach calls a timeout while they have the ball I just switch defenses.

I think players in foul trouble are taken out when there's not a lot of time left because there won't be much action in that last :30 or so. Teams will most likely hold for one shot at that point, so a foul in this short time span is completely wasted. Someone scoring 2 or 3 points holding for the last shot is not near as big a deal as a key player picking up a 3rd or 4th foul in that time span.

You're gonna put him right back in there to start 2H...how many possessions will you have in first :30 of 2H?

I think players in foul trouble are taken out when there's not a lot of time left because there won't be much action in that last :30 or so. Teams will most likely hold for one shot at that point, so a foul in this short time span is completely wasted. Someone scoring 2 or 3 points holding for the last shot is not near as big a deal as a key player picking up a 3rd or 4th foul in that time span.

You're gonna put him right back in there to start 2H...how many possessions will you have in first :30 of 2H?

You're talking about regular basketball at that point though. When a team holds for the last shot, you're talking about an entire :30 seconds of nothing BUT defense. Theres more of a chance for a foul there, but only one opportunity for the offense to score. It's a waste to leave someone in foul trouble in because you won't need a rebounder or a scorer.

Besides, the team holding for the last shot probably only scores 40% of the time or so. There's no need for someone in foul trouble to be on the floor.

Does that strategy make it more or less likely the other team will score?

You're talking about regular basketball at that point though. When a team holds for the last shot, you're talking about an entire :30 seconds of nothing BUT defense. Theres more of a chance for a foul there, but only one opportunity for the offense to score. It's a waste to leave someone in foul trouble in because you won't need a rebounder or a scorer.

Besides, the team holding for the last shot probably only scores 40% of the time or so. There's no need for someone in foul trouble to be on the floor.

Does that strategy make it more or less likely the other team will score?

Neither. Which is why it's a good strategy. Why risk committing another foul on the very last possession of a quarter or half? The other team is probably going to take a bad shot anyway, so why even risk letting that person foul? It also gives the guy an extra breath, so it's a win-win.

Really? Take a better defender out f a weaker one and it has no impact? Uhhh...ok.

And if there's a better defender on the bench you should do it regardless of foul situation...

But when he's going to be in there the first defensive possession of 2H anyway where he's just as likely to foul it is kinda silly

Neither. Which is why it's a good strategy. Why risk committing another foul on the very last possession of a quarter or half? The other team is probably going to take a bad shot anyway, so why even risk letting that person foul? It also gives the guy an extra breath, so it's a win-win.

Really? Take a better defender out f a weaker one and it has no impact? Uhhh...ok.

And if there's a better defender on the bench you should do it regardless of foul situation...

But when he's going to be in there the first defensive possession of 2H anyway where he's just as likely to foul it is kinda silly

You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that the other team will only try to score once in the final :30 seconds and will fail 60-80% of the time. The likelihood of the other team scoring is so low anyway, why risk having a key player commit a foul in a 30 second span that doesn't matter anyway? If he fouls, then he HAS to sit going into the second half. It's better to miss those 30 garbage seconds than the first 4 minutes of the second half.

VN Store

Back