Something I noticed

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
The mizzou game my grandpa got tickets for he and I (I'm a freshman and usually sit in the student section). I noticed that the fans (especially those closer to the floor) do very little standing and cheering, usually try just sit and clap on occasion, I stood for most of the game, which I'm accustomed to in the student section, and I got some glares from those around me. I guess the question is, why? Do they feel it is beneath them to get excited? Clueless on my end.

Reactions: 9 people
The mizzou game my grandpa got tickets for he and I (I'm a freshman and usually sit in the student section). I noticed that the fans (especially those closer to the floor) do very little standing and cheering, usually try just sit and clap on occasion, I stood for most of the game, which I'm accustomed to in the student section, and I got some glares from those around me. I guess the question is, why? Do they feel it is beneath them to get excited? Clueless on my end.

I noticed the same thing for a lot of games and I've always wondered why they get there early enough to get lower level seats if they're not going to go crazy. I understand wanting good seats, but for what if you're just watching. Also at the Florida game, I was really disappointed no one in the front row of the student section or the pit had enough balls to rush the court. Would of been fun IMO

Dude...it's called being 60-70 yrs old...good grief, you'll feel the same way when you're that age and esp paying $75+/ticket when the donation is figured. We have grizzlies tickets and no one stands...as loud as any arena in nba...wtf is the purpose of standing and blocking someone's view? Can you not yell or something when you're in your seat?

Reactions: 15 people
I am sure they were standing the whole way when they were in the student section at some point of their life!

Reactions: 4 people
Dude...it's called being 60-70 yrs old...good grief, you'll feel the same way when you're that age and esp paying $75+/ticket when the donation is figured. We have grizzlies tickets and no one stands...as loud as any arena in nba...wtf is the purpose of standing and blocking someone's view? Can you not yell or something when you're in your seat?

they never cheer. go to Rupp. they have old people too but they cheer and get loud.

Reactions: 3 people
they never cheer. go to Rupp. they have old people too but they cheer and get loud.

They have the same problem when it comes to blue hairs. It is what it is. TBA always gets loud when the team needs it to late in a tight game. We had great crowd noise during the last 8 minutes of the Missouri game and I'd say the majority stood during the last 3 or 4 minutes during game action.

It could certainly be better though.

Reactions: 1 person
They have the same problem when it comes to blue hairs. It is what it is. TBA always gets loud when the team needs it to late in a tight game. We had great crowd noise during the last 8 minutes of the Missouri game and I'd say the majority stood during the last 3 or 4 minutes during game action.

It could certainly be better though.

not really. that place has more energy and noise from the non students than TBA

We went to the Buffalo (football) game back in 2011 and we were in the dead section. People sometimes acted upset if we got loud and cheered on the team. I just don't get it.

I've stood, I've sat, I've jumped, I've rushed the court, what's the big deal? You can be respectful and a true fan I promise. Let the people act how they want to act and you do the same. Just don't block their view, the seats are there for a reason.

Last edited:

If you want to sit the whole time then why not watch the game on tv. What 's the purpose of even going to a live game if you're just gonna sit there like a rock.

Reactions: 2 people
I noticed the same thing for a lot of games and I've always wondered why they get there early enough to get lower level seats if they're not going to go crazy. I understand wanting good seats, but for what if you're just watching. Also at the Florida game, I was really disappointed no one in the front row of the student section or the pit had enough balls to rush the court. Would of been fun IMO

They don't have to get there early enough to get those seats. They have had those seats since TBA was built, and they made the donation to get them. Don't blame them. Blame UT for configuring the seating the way they did to raise money. I don't like it either, and I feel like the students should occupy the first couple rows, at least on one sideline.

As for rushing the court, why? It's not like we took down Goliath, or we beat a team we haven't beaten in ages. We own Florida in basketball. Beating them is as common as a Thursday.

You are correct in your statement about the "older" crowd. But as long as you don't block their view, for the most part it's fine. There are some that will give you looks if you are overly loud, but those are less frequent during big games. I will have to say that the entire arena was pretty quiet until the last 8 minutes or so of that game. But those last 8 minutes were loud and I think the lower bowl was 90% on its feet the last 3-4 minutes. I was actually pretty disappointed in the "Rocky Top Rowdy" section at the Missouri game and it was par for the course for the regular student section. I understand they have a poor seating arrangement but that probably will never change, especially if the students sit and golf clap like the blue hairs. I went to school during the Jerry Green era and I believe the students were more energetic at that point then they are now.

If sitting was going to be discouraged, they would not have put new seats in during the renovation. However, they did put seats in, which leads me to believe that the intent was to have the crowd sitting down during the games. If you are a freak of nature that can somehow only yell while standing up, perhaps you should go to the concourse to do it, leaving everyone else around you the option to see the game, cheer, and sit all at the same time.

Reactions: 2 people

Maybe he should concentrate more on his grammar than dissing the fans who have already graduated from college.

I'm just loving that a guy 60-70 yrs old is using "wtf" in a post. Awesome.

I'm just loving that a guy 60-70 yrs old is using "wtf" in a post. Awesome.

I wouldn't expect you to understand that perhaps the person you quoted is not 70 years old. Is it inconceivable that somebody not in their 70's could post about somebody that is in their 70's?

It's especially heartwarming to hear bluehair complaints from bandwagon students who (when they show up) do so on their parents dime.

Go back and look at the paltry student turnout when Mizzou came to Neyland Stadium last fall. The other (bluer) sections were much better represented. Just sayin'.

If you want to sit, stay at home and sit on your lazy boy and watch the game. I'm not saying stand through the timeouts and half time? This country is so lazy that they cannot even stand for an hour or so. Look at Cameron Indoor, the players feed off of that! You aren't going to watch a movie, you are watching a game, stand up and cheer. If your voice isn't gone by the end of the game you did something wrong.

It's pretty simple, if something warrants standing, people stand. There is no need in standing the whole game.

You get looks cause you are the guy standing and yelling like players on the court can actually hear you.

It's pretty simple, if something warrants standing, people stand. There is no need in standing the whole game.

You get looks cause you are the guy standing and yelling like players on the court can actually hear you.

If everyone was yelling then they would...

If you want to sit, stay at home and sit on your lazy boy and watch the game. I'm not saying stand through the timeouts and half time? This country is so lazy that they cannot even stand for an hour or so. Look at Cameron Indoor, the players feed off of that! You aren't going to watch a movie, you are watching a game, stand up and cheer. If your voice isn't gone by the end of the game you did something wrong.

If you want to stand, there is the student section. They didn't put seats there for a reason. Even at Cameron Indoor, its the student section that is standing, not the whole arena. You only notice it because of the placement of students.

VN Store

Back