ESPN Bubble Watch

saintvol

College Basketball Bubble Watch - Conference tournaments create their own mid-major madness - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

Essentially says that he doesn't agree with Lunardi that Kentucky is ahead of UT right now. Says our resume is better in just about every way. Also, sort of hints that we may just need one win in the SEC tourney. Of course, that will depend on how some other teams do. But unless one of the bubble teams just in front or behind us goes on a deep tourney run I think we are in good shape with 1 win.

College Basketball Bubble Watch - Conference tournaments create their own mid-major madness - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

Essentially says that he doesn't agree with Lunardi that Kentucky is ahead of UT right now. Says our resume is better in just about every way. Also, sort of hints that we may just need one win in the SEC tourney. Of course, that will depend on how some other teams do. But unless one of the bubble teams just in front or behind us goes on a deep tourney run I think we are in good shape with 1 win.

That's good news. Hopefully we won't blow the first game.

Yes, the Vols were swept by Georgia, but they also beat Wichita State, Florida, Missouri and Kentucky, the latter of which came by a margin of 30 points. They're 4-4 against the top 50, 9-9 against the top 100, and with better schedule figures than UK both overall and out of conference. This is all really mediocre stuff -- it's like saying one piece of fruit is less bruised than the other -- but if you have to take at least one of those pieces of fruit home, why would you take Kentucky over UT? In any case, the only thing the Vols should be worried about is making sure they don't lose to either South Carolina or Mississippi State when whoever wins shows up on the second day of the SEC tournament. A loss in that one equals NIT. Period.

UVa has seven losses to teams ranked outside the RPI top 100 (ranging from 118 to 317). In the past 20 seasons, no team with that many bad losses has received an at-large bid to the tournament. And in fact, only three teams -- 2011 USC, 2005 Saint Mary's and 2004 Washington -- have gotten a bid with more than four such "bad" losses.

UVA's place on the bubble just doesn't stack up IMO. I personally think they are a solid team, but their results aren't commensurate to that.

By the way, did Lunardi say where St. Mary's stands right now? Last 4 in?

UVA's place on the bubble just doesn't stack up IMO. I personally think they are a solid team, but their results aren't commensurate to that.

Him having Virgina in is very odd. Just doesn't make sense and most people disagree with him. About St. Mary's, it doesn't appear he has updated the bracket since their loss. He had them as a 10 before last night.

Him having Virgina in is very odd. Just doesn't make sense and most people disagree with him. About St. Mary's, it doesn't appear he has updated the bracket since their loss. He had them as a 10 before last night.

Losing to Gonzaga isn't a bad loss, so I think they're still likely in.

Supposedly, the head of the committee said that they were going to emphasize quality wins more than bad losses. So, maybe that is why he has Virginia in. Virginia is very similar to us last year. They do have 20+ wins, but they have a good conference record with some great wins but some really bad losses. They have a loss to RPI #316.

I really feel if we beat SCar or Aub and Alabama we are in 100%.

I also feel like that isn't too much to ask if we truly want to be an NCAA tournament team and I believe our team is up to that task.

Reactions: 1 person
What are the chances we run in the table in the SEC tournament? In all seriousness, we have beaten all of the teams with the highest odds of winning. Avoid Georgia and I see it as a possibility

What are the chances we run in the table in the SEC tournament? In all seriousness, we have beaten all of the teams with the highest odds of winning. Avoid Georgia and I see it as a possibility

History says it is not likely, but this is the weakest SEC in a long time. UT could very well see themselves playing on Sunday.

Supposedly, the head of the committee said that they were going to emphasize quality wins more than bad losses. So, maybe that is why he has Virginia in. Virginia is very similar to us last year. They do have 20+ wins, but they have a good conference record with some great wins but some really bad losses. They have a loss to RPI #316.

When was this said? And to whom?

Their only good win is Creighton. I don't see how that gets somebody into the tourney.

But they only have 1 bad loss. And most consider them a 10 seed, I don't see them falling all the way out of the tournament because they lost to Gonzaga.

I personally think we need to win more than one game to get in. We are exactly what a bubble team looks like....there's no room for error and sky is the limit for a successful run.

just win so we can all move on and talk about foosball.......

just pray to the roundball Gods this week, a little help from above wouldnt hurt fellas...:angel:

I personally think we need to win more than one game to get in. We are exactly what a bubble team looks like....there's no room for error and sky is the limit for a successful run.

just win so we can all move on and talk about foosball.......

just pray to the roundball Gods this week, a little help from above wouldnt hurt fellas...:angel:

F*** that^max.

Hopefully the poster can provide a link, but I have read quotes on two different sites that confirms his post. I know it's useless to say without a link.

The committee isn't consistent one year to the next.

Sometimes they aren't even consistent in the same year. In the past couple years I remember hearing an interview with one of the members and he explained that the reason one team got in despite losing a bunch of games at the end was because they looked at the entire body of work. Then he turned around and explained that another team got in because they were one of the hottest teams in the country. So they just put teams in they like and will justify it whatever way possible.

The committee isn't consistent one year to the next.

Sometimes they aren't even consistent in the same year. In the past couple years I remember hearing an interview with one of the members and he explained that the reason one team got in despite losing a bunch of games at the end was because they looked at the entire body of work. Then he turned around and explained that another team got in because they were one of the hottest teams in the country. So they just put teams in they like and will justify it whatever way possible.

I agree with the inconsistencies. From what I've read, the criteria this year does NOT include conference record, OOC SOS or the final 10 games of the season. Quality OOC wins are supposed to outweigh a bad OOC SOS and bad OOC RPI. That was from a committee members interview.

Hopefully the poster can provide a link, but I have read quotes on two different sites that confirms his post. I know it's useless to say without a link.

It was the power sweep poster, said a committee member was on during Xavier and Memphis game talking about it.

VN Store

Back