ESPN's Medcalf picks Tennessee to win SEC tourney...

gardners_51609

Get Heuped Up!
Previewing and picking winners for the second week of conference tournaments - college basketball - ESPN

SEC

When: Wednesday (first round); Thursday (second round); Friday (quarterfinals); Saturday (semifinals); Sunday (championship)
Where: Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.
Bracket and results

The favorite: Florida hasn't exactly been invincible, suffering losses in its past three road games. But the Gators are still the most stable assembly in the SEC. They're top-five in adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency per Pomeroy. They're shooting 48.5 percent from the field, a mark that is ninth in the country. Their starting rotation features speed (Kenny Boynton is averaging 12.5 PPG), size (Patric Young is averaging 10.5 PPG) and versatility (6-foot-10 forward Erik Murphy is shooting 46.6 percent from the beyond the arc). Florida is still the best team in the conference.

The top challengers: Well, take your pick. Kentucky has won four of seven games without star Nerlens Noel. Archie Goodwin scored 16 points in a critical win over Florida on Saturday. John Calipari's young bubble team has matured through adversity. Few teams in the conference have matched Tennessee's late momentum, though. Jordan McRae (16.2 PPG) has led the Vols to eight wins in their past nine games. Missouri -- when Phil Pressey (11.9 PPG, 7.1 APG, 1.8 SPG, 3.7 TPG) is focused, of course -- can beat any other team in the conference. Anthony Grant's Alabama team has the SEC's No. 2 scoring defense (59.7 PPG allowed) and one of its best players (Trevor Releford is averaging 15.6 PPG). Ole Miss (76.3 PPG, first in the conference) recovered from a rocky stretch by winning four of its past five games. Marshall Henderson (19.7 PPG) leads the conference in scoring.

My pick: The field includes a multitude of desperate teams, but Tennessee has responded to the pressure as well as any other team in the SEC. Cuonzo Martin's program has also played with a vigor that it had lacked in the first portion of the SEC season. The Vols are determined right now, and they're not interested in giving the selection committee a chance to seal their fate. They'll decide that by winning the SEC tournament.

Reactions: 8 people
I still get frustrated every time the inconsistent Kentucky does something right, they are once again a God-sent. They beat Florida by less than we do, have played terrible lately, get stomped by us, get beat by UGA as well and yet they still jumped us on the bubble...smh Lunardi...

Reactions: 1 person
I still get frustrated every time the inconsistent Kentucky does something right, they are once again a God-sent. They beat Florida by less than we do, have played terrible lately, get stomped by us, get beat by UGA as well and yet they still jumped us on the bubble...smh Lunardi...

I view UK post-Noel more as a test of how they can play without him than simply how they compare.

I am afraid we lose to bammer. And if we have to face Uga again; we have no answer. Just dont see it. Play the games.

Tennessee will almost certainly be playing South Carolina and then Florida. If they beat Florida again, they're definitely in.

I view UK post-Noel more as a test of how they can play without him than simply how they compare.

All this POST NOEL crap is getting on my nerves. It isn't like they don't have a 4-5 star player on the bench to take his place. KY's defense is what is killing them. Noel erasing those mistakes is a great thing but don't cover up the real problem with the loss of Noel. BTW KY signed the #1 center in 2010, #3 Center 2011, and #1 and #15 center in 2012 (Per Scout).

Are you saying they were consistent pre-noel?

Pre-noel 17-7 71 ppg +4 rbpg post-noel 4-3 68 ppg -2 rpg
Kentuckys TOs actually went down from 9 pg to 7.3 pg post-noel

not much of a drop off considering the talent level at the end of the season to the beginning of the season.

Kentucky HAS BEEN incosistent and overrated all season. Lose your last 2/3 and move ahead of the vols that handled the wildcats by 30 is a joke.

All this POST NOEL crap is getting on my nerves. It isn't like they don't have a 4-5 star player on the bench to take his place. KY's defense is what is killing them. Noel erasing those mistakes is a great thing but don't cover up the real problem with the loss of Noel. BTW KY signed the #1 center in 2010, #3 Center 2011, and #1 and #15 center in 2012 (Per Scout).

Okay, then what 4-5 star player took Noel's place? Poythress? Wiltjer? Stein? If you've watched even one game of UK, you'd know those three don't even come close to Noels level.

Are you saying they were consistent pre-noel?

Pre-noel 17-7 71 ppg +4 rbpg post-noel 4-3 68 ppg -2 rpg
Kentuckys TOs actually went down from 9 pg to 7.3 pg post-noel

not much of a drop off considering the talent level at the end of the season to the beginning of the season.

Kentucky HAS BEEN incosistent and overrated all season. Lose your last 2/3 and move ahead of the vols that handled the wildcats by 30 is a joke.

I never said a single word about this team being consistent this year. Every UK fan knows this is one of the best talented, but inconsistent teams ever. Except for Noel, every other player has had long stretches where they struggle.

Edit: I find it hard to believe UK only averaged 9 TOs/game.

Last edited:
We have only won two games twice since 2000. Lets break down that hurdle first. GoVols!! You can do ittttt!

VN Store

Back