Jarnell Stokes: SEC Player of the Week(3/11/13)

TooLegit2Quit

Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes, a 6-foot-8, 270-pound sophomore forward from Memphis, Tenn., was named SEC Player of the Week after averaging 12 points and 12.5 rebounds in wins at Auburn and over Missouri. Stokes was the only SEC player to average a double-double in league play this season, and his 14 double-doubles tied for the most in the conference and are the most by a Vol since Ian Lockhart had 14 during the 1989-90 season. Stokes posted double-doubles in four of Tennessee’s last six games. In the regular-season finale vs. Missouri – which entered the game ranked second nationally in rebounding and leading the SEC in rebounding defense – Stokes grabbed a game-high 13 boards, including six on the offensive glass.

SEC Men's Hoops Players Of The Week > SEC > NEWS

Reactions: 3 people
the committee will notice this, along with Trae's and McRae's and our record in our last 10.
But we still need to win 1.

the committee will notice this, along with Trae's and McRae's and our record in our last 10.
But we still need to win 1.

We are the hottest team in the SEC, and one of the hotter teams in the country. As you said, just don't lose that first one and force them to leave you out.

Nice. If he comes back next year and works a bit on his freethrows, he's no doubt a top 10 pick in the draft IMO

He needs a consistent shot from 15 feet to excel at the next level. The NBA centers are too long and the 4's will pull him away from the basket. Many can shoot the 3. There is just too much length around the rim for him there.

Nice. If he comes back next year and works a bit on his freethrows, he's no doubt a top 10 pick in the draft IMO

Would love to see it. But he is very similar to Jared Sullinger was coming out of Ohio St. Sullinger was drafted 21st overall. Now part of the reason he went so high was because of his injury. But I'm not sure Stokes is as good as Sullinger at this point in their career. Hope I dont sound like a member of the Legion... JMO

Would love to see it. But he is very similar to Jared Sullinger was coming out of Ohio St. Sullinger was drafted 21st overall. Now part of the reason he went so high was because of his injury. But I'm not sure Stokes is as good as Sullinger at this point in their career. Hope I dont sound like a member of the Legion... JMO

I compared the 2 a lot, unfortunately stokes didn't progress his game like I thought he would. Sully developed a nice perimiter shot, and shot a good 3pt%, Jarnell didn't attempt one. I also find that odd because he attempted a few last year. If he wants to go first round he's gonna have to develop a mid range game, an even an ability to knock down the 3 ball.

I compared the 2 a lot, unfortunately stokes didn't progress his game like I thought he would. Sully developed a nice perimiter shot, and shot a good 3pt%, Jarnell didn't attempt one. I also find that odd because he attempted a few last year. If he wants to go first round he's gonna have to develop a mid range game, an even an ability to knock down the 3 ball.

I disagree.....it would be nice if he developed a mid range jumper but to be a mid to late first round pick he needs to become dominant at what he is good at.....rebounding and overpowering guys without fouling to score.

I disagree.....it would be nice if he developed a mid range jumper but to be a mid to late first round pick he needs to become dominant at what he is good at.....rebounding and overpowering guys without fouling to score.

Can you name me a 6'8" guy built like jarnell (big bodied, bit slow and unathletic, not much of a vertical) that's gone top 15 in recent memory who had that game and no mid range shot? Cause I can't think of one.

Can you name me a 6'8" guy built like jarnell (big bodied, bit slow and unathletic, not much of a vertical) that's gone top 15 in recent memory who had that game and no mid range shot? Cause I can't think of one.

Now you are talking about lottery pick.....I don't think he will be a lottery pick but can be a mid round 1st to late 1st round pick if he dominates the skills he is good at......who are the guys who are like you described with the mid range jumper that went top 15?

Now you are talking about lottery pick.....I don't think he will be a lottery pick but can be a mid round 1st to late 1st round pick if he dominates the skills he is good at......who are the guys who are like you described with the mid range jumper that went top 15?

Sully would've if not for weird injury...who would you compare jarnells game to?

He needs a consistent shot from 15 feet to excel at the next level. The NBA centers are too long and the 4's will pull him away from the basket. Many can shoot the 3. There is just too much length around the rim for him there.

Yup.

He's also got to get more explosive.

VN Store

Back