Mid-Major tournaments to watch

shelbyvillevol

#MakeTNGreatAgain
Most of these are being played this weekend and early next week:

Missouri Valley (Mar. 7-10, Champ. Game 1:00 CBS)

Who UT needs to win: Wichita St.

The Shockers, along with Creighton, are locks at this point. Wichita winning would be a boost to UT's SOS and RPI.

Conference USA (Mar. 13-16, Champ. Game 11:30 CBS)

Who UT needs to win: Memphis

With Southern Miss' loss to Marshall, it basically knocked them out of any chance at an at-large. If Memphis wins, this is a 1 bid league. Also, Memphis winning helps UT's RPI.

OVC (Mar. 6-9, Champ. Game 7:00 ESPN2)

Who UT needs to win: Belmont

Belmont is the only team in the OVC that would even sniff an at-large, but there are still some quality teams in the conference. Belmont's 2 league losses are to TSU and Murray St., their likely opponents in the Semis and Final. If the Bruins lose to TSU in the Semis, their chances at an at-large would take a major hit. If they lost the Final to Murray, it's probably 50/50.

MAC (Mar. 11-16, Champ. Game 6:30 ESPN2)

Who UT needs to win: Akron

Akron's chances at an at-large aren't too great, but if they were to make it to the Finals and lose to Ohio (the only other quality team in the conference), they may have a shot.

WAC (Mar. 12-16, Champ. Game 11:00 pm ESPNU)

Who UT needs to win: Louisiana Tech

Tech's best resume win is Southern Miss, so their overall resume is lacking. But they did go undefeated in conference and their RPI is currently at 50, so they are in the at-large conversation.

West Coast (Mar. 6-11, Champ. Game 9:00 ESPN)

Who UT needs to win: Gonzaga

Zags are in contention for the #1 overall seed, so they should come in super motivated. If St. Mary's makes it to the Final, they are probably in, but they have a tough Semi-Final matchup with (presumably) BYU. if they lose that one, they are definitely on the bubble. If it's a Gonzaga-St. Mary's Final, the result probably won't matter.

Sun Belt (Mar. 8-11, Champ. Game 7:00 ESPN)

Who UT needs to win: MTSU

I honestly believe that as long as Middle doesn't bomb out in their first tourney game (like last year) they will get an at-large if they aren't tournament champions. If they make it to the Finals and lose, I think they're in regardless of the outcome. It bears noting that MTSU has NEVER won the Sun Belt Tournament.

Sorry if I missed any.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I updated and put dates, along with the times and networks for the Championship Games. I even put the game times in Eastern so I didn't have to hear all you spoiled Eastern Time Zone kids B & M. :p

Now THIS is what is really going to make or break our tournament,net chances. Great thread.

watch Akron vs. Kent in the Semis as well. Kent has been playing well recently and could knock them off.

Go Bobcats!

MTSU sucking it up will be interesting if it happens. There was another team a couple of years ago that was left out...in the mid 30's, decent SOS but the mid major tag.

Missouri State coached by Cuonzo Martin

The MVC Tournament always seems to produce upsets every year. They've also produced some really good teams over the years. There's a lot of parity in that conference.

It's definitely one of the tourneys I'm most concerned about as a UT fan.

MTSU sucking it up will be interesting if it happens. There was another team a couple of years ago that was left out...in the mid 30's, decent SOS but the mid major tag.

Utah State was ranked in '04, lost in conference tournament, no bid.

Louisiana Tech lost 78-60 at New Mexico St. last night. I think that pretty much takes care of them as a possible at-large.

Belmont toughed one out against TSU tonight. They'll have their hands full tomorrow night against either Murray or Eastern KY.

Creighton and Wichita already won, also.

Belmont toughed one out against TSU tonight. They'll have their hands full tomorrow night against either Murray or Eastern KY.

Creighton and Wichita already won, also.

Belmont and MTSU are the 2 we should be really rooting for right? I don't see anyone else that'd get an at large if they don't win their conference...La Tech and Akron both blew that chance. So those 2, and then Memphis, and either Wichita State or Creighton and that's it right?

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting. Everyone needs to realize that how these other teams fare ABSOLUTELY affects whether the Vols make the NCAA tournament.

VN Store

Back