Cool Customers

Jordan McRae, Tennessee's leading scorer. "You guys see our practices, the way Coach Martin is, you would think we hadn't won a game yet this year. That's just the way it's going to be, and I think Coach Martin does a really good job of making us realize we always have a game after this one."

That's what excites me because I don't see any let downs after big wins. And also, Billy D has always said good things about UT but so many hate him. I bet if Florida didn't sign his check, he'd get a ton of respect around here.

Reactions: 3 people
True. Back to back national titles should require respect huh? I think he has gotten them to the tourney like 13 of his 17 years there.

Cant believe he has been there that long!!!

Donovan is a really good coach and probably one of the more genuine guys. He's also a very gracious loser.

Jordan McRae, Tennessee's leading scorer. "You guys see our practices, the way Coach Martin is, you would think we hadn't won a game yet this year. That's just the way it's going to be, and I think Coach Martin does a really good job of making us realize we always have a game after this one."

That's what excites me because I don't see any let downs after big wins. And also, Billy D has always said good things about UT but so many hate him. I bet if Florida didn't sign his check, he'd get a ton of respect around here.

I honestly think Billy D is about as good as it gets. He's got 2 elite 8's, 2 national titles and was runner up one year. We've had his number though. No denying it.

I agree. I've always respected him and he's always said good things about UT. No doubt he can coach. Florida fans are sad because as well as they've done recently and as small as the O Dome is, that place should be packed and rocking every single home game.

Billy D has been at UF for close to 20 years with almost nothing but success. I don't recall anyone on this site ever seriously insulting his coaching abilities. If anyone did, they're obviously idiots or trolls. Donovan deserves nothing but respect.

Reactions: 2 people
I liked him more after he would do the oUTlive charity events with Bruce the night before the game. Always a class act, and hell of a coach!

I don't remember when Donovan actually took over, but I probably saw one of his first SEC games at UF. I went to the 1998 Orange Bowl against Nebraska. We drove back home and went through Gainesville to see UT v. UF. I believe Jason Williams was on that team. I think that was the year that Jerry Green's team started out like 11-0 and then came back to reality.

The only reason we don't like him is because he coaches our rival. Donovan is a great coach, and I also think he is very gracious. I kind of hated that he backed out of the Magic offer, but it has not really changed how well we have played against them. He actually coached the 18 and under national team last summer and had some great things to say about Jarnell.

Darn...I accidently hijacked a "martin is calm and cool" thread to talk about a rival coach. Forgive me...

Donovan is a really good coach and probably one of the more genuine guys. He's also a very gracious loser.

Billy D is a good guy, my dad played a lot of pick up ball when he was stationed in Newport, RI and billy was playing college ball up there, had nothing but great things to say about him.

Folks - this is the way a thread and sport in general should go. We've got a really good HC that adapted to his team's abilities over the past month and is reaping the rewards. That means he will be an even better HC in the future for us - all the while remaining a class act. We go against a top, hugely successful HC at UF that has proven himself to be a gracious winner and loser that we respect greatly, which seems like an oxymoron compared to the attitudes of their football program and fan base in general.

So it seems Coaches Zo and Billy D could teach a lot of folks how to interact.

Reactions: 2 people

I love coach Martin!!! glad to see he works his team hard and is developing them....CBD is cool...sad day when they got put out of the final four when he played....dude could light it up

VN Store

Back