Good Read from ESPN...

But, but race shouldn't and doesn't matter. Ever.

You are right that it shouldn't matter. But it is completely naive to say it doesn't matter. So many people like to think that we have become this color blind society, but that is impossible. The failure to acknowledge race is a problem in and of itself, and spurs a lack of awareness, and in some instances insensitiviy. That, however, is difficult for many people to comprehend--albeit, understandly so.

Not trying to get into a sociopolitical debate. Just seemed more interesting than finishing my billing.

Reactions: 3 people
It's kind of a big deal on our football staff. We were the only SEC school with just 2 black coaches, and with Jay gone, we're down to one. While it shouldn't, it is important in recruiting. Other schools will use it to do negative recruiting against UT.

Cuonzo with the best quote in the article imo: "I think it's just a case of we're hiring guys that are qualified to do a job. You happen to be black, you happen to be white. It doesn't matter. You're qualified to do a job."

Reactions: 15 people
Cuonzo with the best quote in the article imo: "I think it's just a case of we're hiring guys that are qualified to do a job. You happen to be black, you happen to be white. It doesn't matter. You're qualified to do a job."

Perfectly said. I like him more and more every day. Butch is gonna be good too.

The article and topic is stupid. It's like me saying, oh there are 5 coaches in the SEC with blue eyes...

Reactions: 1 person
On another note...the sec is very much lacking when it comes to white skill position players. But we don't feel like we need diversity when it come to that. The best man should get the job (or position) but it doesn't work that way. My little sister attended ut dental and was told off the record by a counselor there that because she was white she probably wouldn't get in. That's just sad. She ended up getting accepted anyway but had to be that much better of an applicant

Reactions: 2 people
On another note...the sec is very much lacking when it comes to white skill position players. But we don't feel like we need diversity when it come to that. The best man should get the job (or position) but it doesn't work that way. My little sister attended ut dental and was told off the record by a counselor there that because she was white she probably wouldn't get in. That's just sad. She ended up getting accepted anyway but had to be that much better of an applicant

Just look at the scholarships available only to minorities. Per student, more scholarship money is available, and at lower standards, than for majority students. Colleges are the worst offenders when it comes to accepting applicants on qualifications alone. Unfortunately, race is a huge factor.

The article and topic is stupid. It's like me saying, oh there are 5 coaches in the SEC with blue eyes...

Are you really saying that the hiring African American coaches in the Southeastern Conference has the same relevance as hiring blue-eyed coaches? If you are then that is a naive and silly viewpoint.

The article mentions UT as being the first school in the SEC to hire an African American coach (Wade Houston). Something about which UT fans can and should be proud.

It was a two for one deal; Alan Houston, and Wade Houston. Too bad Alan was great; his Dad not so much. But he was a good guy; just wish he had won a few more games.

What's up with this recent wave of white people complaining about race relations. The diversity requirements exist for a reason some of which is financial and other is out of past history.

Are you really saying that the hiring African American coaches in the Southeastern Conference has the same relevance as hiring blue-eyed coaches? If you are then that is a naive and silly viewpoint.

The article mentions UT as being the first school in the SEC to hire an African American coach (Wade Houston). Something about which UT fans can and should be proud.

Except for the fact that he destroyed the basketball program at Tennessee. I appreciate the fact that we were the first, but we should have looked past his son's ability to play the game. Alan was the one of the best players to ever play at Tennessee. but we paid a high price to get him.

Except for the fact that he destroyed the basketball program at Tennessee. I appreciate the fact that we were the first, but we should have looked past his son's ability to play the game. Alan was the one of the best players to ever play at Tennessee. but we paid a high price to get him.

The guy didnt win. I would hardly say he destroyed the basketball program.

So I guess white guys can't coach black athletes - I guess that the NFL and NBA should require that HC's and staffs should consist of only black coaches since those leagues are predominately made up of black athletes.

VN Store

Back