Maymon Status??

Chilmonty

Obviously, ESPN HATES US!
OK don't Taze Me! I don't follow BBall as much as football so I don't know the situation. Did he have a Staff infection or what???

Saw him last night cheering from the bench I think, so is he out for the season???

:ermm:
OK don't Taze Me! I don't follow BBall as much as football so I don't know the situation. Did he have a Staff infection or what???

Saw him last night cheering from the bench I think, so is he out for the season???

He is redshirting this year due to prolonged injury. Plan is to come back next year.

Serious Maymon note: I've heard some concerns about him still limping around town. There's still a chance that he may not be 100% by the beginning of next season.

Serious Maymon note: I've heard some concerns about him still limping around town. There's still a chance that he may not be 100% by the beginning of next season.

Highly, highly doubt this. The season is about nine months away. You can come back from an ACL tear in about ten months these days. Can't see an infection affecting is status that far out.

Last edited:
Highly, highly doubt this. The season is about nine months away. You can come by from an ACL tear in about ten months these days. Can't see an infection affecting is status that far out.

I'd normally agree, but apparently his recovery is way behind schedule even at this point in the season. This is all according to Basilio, so TIFWIW. Just saying, there's a chance he may not be the same even if he does return on time. Best wishes to him. We've all been robbed of a year of seeing one of the more dynamic players in program history.

A little bit of misinformation in this thread. Maymon didn't have an ACL tear. He had arthroscopic surgery to clean out some debris in his knee (probably some torn cartilage). This in itself is a fairly minor process with a 4-8 week or so recovery. He recovered well and was playing well in the preseason Europe tour before suffering a "setback" right before the season started. No one ever came right out and said it officially (HIPPA), but it was understood off the record to be an infection. In this case, the infections are almost always staph or strep. Given the seriousness of his prolonged recovery, it might have even been MRSA (a drug resistant staph). It drug on long enough that it was deemed wasting his last year of eligibility to try to bring him back so late in the season. That said, unless that infection did some serious damage to his knee structurally (not unheard of if they had to surgically open and clean it out...but this would be very rare), it would be hard to believe that he wouldn't easily be 100% long before next season. However, just because the infection is dealt with doesn't mean that the structural issue that initially required the scope isn't still an issue. He may still have mechanical issues in that knee. Anyone who's been through this will tell you, having torn tissue taken out doesn't make it grow back (cartilage doesn't heal or regrow), so depending on the severity of his initial injury, that knee could never be the same...or it could be just fine the rest of his life. Thems the breaks.

A little bit of misinformation in this thread. Maymon didn't have an ACL tear. He had arthroscopic surgery to clean out some debris in his knee (probably some torn cartilage). This in itself is a fairly minor process with a 4-8 week or so recovery. He recovered well and was playing well in the preseason Europe tour before suffering a "setback" right before the season started. No one ever came right out and said it officially (HIPPA), but it was understood off the record to be an infection. In this case, the infections are almost always staph or strep. Given the seriousness of his prolonged recovery, it might have even been MRSA (a drug resistant staph). It drug on long enough that it was deemed wasting his last year of eligibility to try to bring him back so late in the season. That said, unless that infection did some serious damage to his knee structurally (not unheard of if they had to surgically open and clean it out...but this would be very rare), it would be hard to believe that he wouldn't easily be 100% long before next season. However, just because the infection is dealt with doesn't mean that the structural issue that initially required the scope isn't still an issue. He may still have mechanical issues in that knee. Anyone who's been through this will tell you, having torn tissue taken out doesn't make it grow back (cartilage doesn't heal or regrow), so depending on the severity of his initial injury, that knee could never be the same...or it could be just fine the rest of his life. Thems the breaks.

Well I never said that HE had an ACL injury, I only said "an ACL injury." But, uhhhhh yeah... everything you said. Haha

Not to say that Basilios word is gold, but he basically referenced what you were alluding to in that the surgery didn't take. Hope that's not the case.

He was supposed to have started practicing already and hasn't, not a good sign.

75% of Maymon is better than 100% of Hall, each day, all day, every day!

More likely staph (staphylococcus). We got rid of the staff infection when we fired Sunseri.

VN Store

Back