The Florida Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. YES!!!! The biggest win in the Cuonzo Martin Era. A gutsy, tough effort from the Vols in a national prime time game. The signature win that Tennessee needed.

2. The defense. That was the key. They held a top ten offensive team in the country to 42% shooting and 23.5% from 3. They were aggressive on their ball screen defense and nothing came easy from Florida. They got after every jump shot.

3. Jarnell Stokes might not have been huge offensively, but his defense was incredible. His paint coverage is seriously underrated. He hedge hard all night and did a great job getting back to protecting the rim. He dominated the boards with 14 tonight. Just a wonderful performance.

4. Nine turnovers. ONLY NINE. Against a really good Florida defense. That's show maturation. UT was crisp with their passes. When Florida pressed, it didn't matter.

5. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Jordan McRae cooled off in the second half, but who cares? How about 17 points in the first half? Not only did he score 27 and have his way, he had 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. It was his most complete game as a Vol. He also played great D on Kenny Boyton and Erik Murphy. Guys, Jordan McRae is a monster.

6. The defense on Erik Murphy shows Cuonzo's great defensive teaching ability. They did the same thing to Kyle Wiltjer. They fronted him and took him out of rhythm. They switched almost all ball screens. And they got out and contested every jump shot. He had no shot. Great team effort on defense too. It wasn't going to be one guy, and it wasn't.

7. The big number for today? +11. UT outrebounded Florida by 11 even though both teams shot 42%. That was the key. Tennessee had 13 offensive rebounds compared to 7 for Florida. There's the game.

8. Yemi Makanjoula gave UT great minutes in the first half. Florida was in the lead and then Jarnell picked up his second foul. What happened? He grabbed five rebounds, an assist, and played great defense that got UT going. Huge pickup from him.

9. Only complaint? Free throws. 11-19 won't cut it.

10. But who cares? UT won a huge game. The biggest win since 2010 against Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen. UT is now a legitimate team for a chance at the NCAA tourney. They have that signature win they needed. Florida looked like a beat down boxer tonight. UT was just too physical. A road game Saturday against Georgia. It's time for payback. Boys and girls, tonight we are having fried gator. And it tastes gooooood.

Go Vols!!!!! :hi:

Reactions: 55 people
Oh, and

8C125F22-E967-42AD-97CE-FEA1C4AF0163-12632-000006194F6E6D0F.jpg

Reactions: 78 people
Thanks zjc. I'm happy that they skinned the gators on my b-day no less.

Can we give a poster of the game thread award for San Diego Vol for coming through with the cheerleader photo?

Reactions: 2 people
I always think to myself after a game, "I can't wait to see what zjc says in his report tonight.." Good stuff

Reactions: 13 people
9. Only complaint? Free throws. 11-19 won't cut it.

Might have had something to do with a little leg fatigue.
Only place it showed though.

Reactions: 1 person

Can we give a poster of the game thread award for San Diego Vol for coming through with the cheerleader photo?
Dude...it's my bday too! Happy birthday :good!:

Enjoy this victory :dance2:

Reactions: 3 people
On to the next one. This away game scares me! We can't afford to over look Georgia and be swept by them! Love this team. I can only imagine what we would look like with Maymon! GBO

Reactions: 1 person

Gave my all for Tennessee today

Reactions: 10 people

VN Store

Back