Jimmy Dykes, "CCM One of Best Coaches in Game"

MannyD

Dykes is doing an interview on WNML. Said that Cuonzo is one of the best coaches in the game. Supported his statement by saying that the offensive struggles the Vols experienced earlier this season were alleviated by the switch to a four-guard line up and said that many coaches would've been able to identify the problem but wouldn't have been able to fix it. Says only good coaches could've fixed a situation like that.

What do you say?

Reactions: 12 people
I say that everyone on this board who has called for his head after 2 years are still idiotic.

CCM is our coach, and I hope he is for a real long time.

Reactions: 35 people
I don't know if it is fair to call him one of the best in the business right now. He still has a lot to prove as a HC. That being said, I believe his ceiling is very high. Hopefully he can guide us to a victory over the Gators tonight. I'm very glad he is our coach.

Reactions: 5 people
Dykes is doing an interview on WNML. Said that Cuonzo is one of the best coaches in the game. Supported his statement by saying that the offensive struggles the Vols experienced earlier this season were alleviated by the switch to a four-guard line up and said that many coaches would've been able to identify the problem but wouldn't have been able to fix it. Says only good coaches could've fixed a situation like that.

What do you say?

I say that he is improving but not that great......

Have y'all forgotten last seasons Austin Peay game? What about the M.T.S.U. game? How about the College of Charleston game????

We lost all three of those games and shouldn't have.... We were out played....

Reactions: 1 person
We are simply playing at a higher level right now....therefore, most conversations relating to bball have turned positive. Just like the problems with football, winning will fix most of them, or at least make them irrelevant!

Reactions: 3 people

Have y'all forgotten last seasons Austin Peay game? What about the M.T.S.U. game? How about the College of Charleston game????

This is NOT to say CCM should be compared at this point to these guys. But Roy Williams, Bill Self, and Jim Boeheim coached teams can have let down games. Not to mention I think 2 of those 3 teams made the dance last year.

Yeh mtsu isn't really that bad of a team but the other two games I agree with.

I'd add best, young developing to the description.
Has 4 games to prove he's learned how to win big games when he has to.

We are simply playing at a higher level right now....therefore, most conversations relating to bball have turned positive. Just like the problems with football, winning will fix most of them, or at least make them irrelevant!

yeah cuz playing better has nothing to do with the coach........

Pearl lost to Oakland & Charleston. Jim Boheim lost to Cleavland State. Roy Williams lost to Charleston. It's basketball. Every team has letdown games. You can look at any coach and point to embarrassing loses during their tenure. If you have those kinds of bad losses in football, it's something that should be examined. With basketball, though, it's a much different story. Sometimes it just happens. If it becomes a problem, then you examine it.

I love to hear the comments from Jimmy Dykes. He's a respected name in the business. I'm so glad we have CCM. I have never wavered.

Reactions: 6 people

So if you lose games you shouldn't you're automatically not a good coach? That makes sense.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree that many coaches wouldn't have made the change to the smaller line-up, so you have to give CCM props for the move.

I like the guy and hope he works out, but I think he's going to have to prove himself on the recruiting trail before we consider him 'one of the best coaches in the game'.

Martin is making adjustments and that's a great sign. Many were declaring him too stubborn without giving him any chance. We have seen him go zone, employ zone full court presses, go with a 4 guard lineup, pick up the tempo...you're seeing things that many thought we'd never seen, and adjusting is something great coaches do.

So if you lose games you shouldn't you're automatically not a good coach? That makes sense.

Agree. CCM IMO is gonna be awesome, and for a long time hopefully. If we can keep somebody from stealing him away from us.

Here is my only criticism for CCM. I think he should have taken a harder stance with Kenny Hall last year and earlier than he did this year. When Kenny plays HARD he is a huge asset. But most of his 4 years he has just gone through the motions. I would have liked to see CCM get his hands on Kenny when he was a fresh. maybe the outcome would have been different.

I agree that many coaches wouldn't have made the change to the smaller line-up, so you have to give CCM props for the move.

I like the guy and hope he works out, but I think he's going to have to prove himself on the recruiting trail before we consider him 'one of the best coaches in the game'.

Well I think he's great at getting the big names recruits (very close to having three 5* in two years), he just has to work on filling out the rest of the class. He's just been top heavy.

MTSU game was two pretty evenly matched teams, regardless of recruiting rankings and popular opinion. The CoC, AP, and Oakland games were inexcusable from a talent perspective, but I'm beginning to wonder if it took losses to those teams to convince the players to buy into CCM and his system? We haven't seen those losses this year with arguably less talent of our own. I think he is improving and altering his style and system when it is appropriate to do so.

Well I think he's great at getting the big names recruits (very close to having three 5* in two years), he just has to work on filling out the rest of the class. He's just been top heavy.

See your point, but if he develope 3 stars like he has with Joch Rich., not sure its that top heavey

I don't agree at all. Love the Vols and have supported Martin for the most part but he just kept tweaking the lineup and found something that worked. He didn't strike oil or anything lol. Anyways, I'm all in for Martin and hope he establishes himself as one of the best in the business.

Jimmy Dykes has zero influence on anything I think or feel about any subject.

I dislike Dykes too, but I thought it was interesting to hear him say it. Personally, I think Cuonzo has a lot of potential. I also think he's learning on the job, and I'm okay with that given the relative success he's already had in his first two seasons (we could've gotten a coach like Tony Barbee. Lots of "upside" according to national analysts, with unfortunately zero supporting evidence to date). I believe that he'll have built a very solid program within the next 2-3 years, and that starts with two years of building, a third year of winning at a high level, and the succeeding years continuing to maintain that level.

The next two steps I want to see him and his staff take are recruiting better with those second-tier guys (stop with the projects and add some solid players to go along with the blue-chippers you're already getting. For the record, I'm good with an Armani Moore type, as long as they pan out like he has. We need more Richardson, Golden, and McRae types) and get your team to play better earlier in the season.

I don't agree at all. Love the Vols and have supported Martin for the most part but he just kept tweaking the lineup and found something that worked. He didn't strike oil or anything lol. Anyways, I'm all in for Martin and hope he establishes himself as one of the best in the business.

But it takes a good coach to actually tweak things when they aren't working and figure out what you can do to make it work. I'm not saying CCM is the best coach in the world but he does the right things most of the time. Like benching your main players when they aren't performing. We need to be appreciative of him tho until he completely strikes out. I'd be more than happy if he's here for the next 10-20 years

I'm still holding out judgement until March. Even going back to his days at Missouri State, he had some really good regular season teams, but they couldn't get it done in March. That's what makes a good coach turn into a great coach.

VN Store

Back