Who are the idiots hosting the Treece show?

saintvol

Talking about McBee guarding Turner the whole game was a mistake b/c Richardson should have been guarding him. Do they not realize that Richardson was on the bench most of the game due to foul trouble?

Talking about McBee guarding Turner the whole game was a mistake b/c Richardson should have been guarding him. Do they not realize that Richardson was on the bench most of the game due to foul trouble?

Haha. I swear people don't watch the whole game. This was one of the few that I actually did watch the entire thing because my kids were napping.

This came in the game thread, and I can't tell how many times I had to say that Richardson started out on Turner. To be honest, while I have criticized Coach's strategy on defense some this year, Skylar actually played Turner better than Richardson. He made him work for shots and created a TO. Richardson was too aggressive early on, and it created the fouls.

Richardson played great on Turner in the last couple of OT's, but I was proud of Skylar's defense. Turner is not a guy you are going to stop. You just have to limit him, make him work, and I think fatigue did effect him the last couple of OT's.

Reactions: 3 people
Haha. I swear people don't watch the whole game. This was one of the few that I actually did watch the entire thing because my kids were napping.

This came in the game thread, and I can't tell how many times I had to say that Richardson started out on Turner. To be honest, while I have criticized Coach's strategy on defense some this year, Skylar actually played Turner better than Richardson. He made him work for shots and created a TO. Richardson was too aggressive early on, and it created the fouls.

Richardson played great on Turner in the last couple of OT's, but I was proud of Skylar's defense. Turner is not a guy you are going to stop. You just have to limit him, make him work, and I think fatigue did effect him the last couple of OT's.

Exactly. If you look at the box score it looks like he had his way, but he didn't. Almost every shot he took was falling away and off balance. He just made some amazing shots. Impressed by McBee in this one.

Reactions: 1 person
They apparently did not watch the game. Richardson picked up 2 quick fouls trying to guard him early on and when he came back in the game during regulation time it was clear that Martin didn't want him guarding Turner due to him possibly getting into worse foul trouble. In OT he put him back on Turner and he did well.

Ok, no one else has said it - any of our competent guards could have done just as good of a job. When he was missing all of those shots, they were almost entire fadeaways. McBee did an EXCELLENT job at staying in front of him, getting a hand up, and not fouling. However, Golden or McRae could have easily done just as good of a job when Turner was taking and missing those shots. Not to mention he still finished with 38.

I would hate to think what he would have scored if McBee didn't guard him as well as he did. It's funny whoever he guards "so well" usually puts up monster numbers. Oh well.....

I'd like to have seen Armani on him. He's swat that $h!t off the court.

Yeah, I almost included Moore in that first post, but he's a freshman going against a very seasoned scorer. Armani seems to be most effective at providing low help defense.

I would hate to think what he would have scored if McBee didn't guard him as well as he did. It's funny whoever he guards "so well" usually puts up monster numbers. Oh well.....

Geez, what can Skylar do to get any praise? I am telling you that he played better defense on him in regulation than Josh Richardson did. Elston Turner can flat out shoot the ball. He had 40 against UK and 37 against Ole Miss....in regulation games.

I also disagree that Trae Golden could have guarded him. I love what Golden has done in the last 5 games, but he is slow footed and wouldn't have a chance against a 6'5" Turner. McRae is not fundamentally sound on defense either. But, that is just my two cents.

Reactions: 5 people
He scored plenty on McBee when he got the ball in the paint.

He scored on McBee until he got tired.

I'm very surprised that the offense didn't run through Turner more than it did, especially in the first half. There were many possessions that he didn't touch the ball.

Geez, what can Skylar do to get any praise? I am telling you that he played better defense on him in regulation than Josh Richardson did. Elston Turner can flat out shoot the ball. He had 40 against UK and 37 against Ole Miss....in regulation games.

I also disagree that Trae Golden could have guarded him. I love what Golden has done in the last 5 games, but he is slow footed and wouldn't have a chance against a 6'5" Turner. McRae is not fundamentally sound on defense either. But, that is just my two cents.

The refs loosened up considerably in the second half. Didn't hardly call anything but charges. They were calling ticky tack fouls in the first that got Josh in trouble and handicapped him from being able to be aggressive and CCM had to take him off Turner. If you think McBee is 1/3 the defender that Josh is, then you have missed many basketball games this year.

McBee had a good play every now and then. Gritty and dove after 50 / 50 balls, but the bottom line is that the guy he was guarding scored 45% of the total points that A&M scored. He averages 27.3% of A&M points on the year. Turner had a monster game.

Last edited:
Treece's show is HORRIBLE. I've tried to listen many times and am always disappointed.

The refs loosened up considerably in the second half. Didn't hardly call anything but charges. They were calling ticky tack fouls in the first that got Josh in trouble and handicapped him from being able to be aggressive and CCM had to take him off Turner. If you think McBee is 1/3 the defender that Josh is, then you have missed many basketball games this year.

Haha. I am not going to get in a pissing contest. I have followed UT basketball since the 90's and in my college days, and I watch every game (or parts depending on my kids) that is on tv. If you can show me where I said that Skylar was a better overall defender than Josh, then please do so. I simply said that Skylar was the better defender against Turner. You can call the fouls on Josh "ticky tack," but they were 30 feet from the basket. He has no business being that aggressive because Turner was not in a position to shoot. Richardson also got beat a couple of times. For what Skylar lacks in quickness and height, he makes some of it up in playing fundamental defense. That is why 2 coaches now put him out there to play.

Turner gets his points. Go back and look at his shot numbers. Sometimes, he catches fire, and sometimes he is bad. But, when you play fundamental defense on him and make him work for it, then he can wear down. To totally discredit it is just assinine IMO. I was worried about it at the time, but I thought he played fantastic.

Ok, no one else has said it - any of our competent guards could have done just as good of a job. When he was missing all of those shots, they were almost entire fadeaways. McBee did an EXCELLENT job at staying in front of him, getting a hand up, and not fouling. However, Golden or McRae could have easily done just as good of a job when Turner was taking and missing those shots. Not to mention he still finished with 38.

I watched the game and I though McBee looked terrible on defense. He gives effort and goes for 50/50 balls, so you can't be too hard on him, but he's got slow feet, slow hands and bad intuition. He's just not a good perimeter defender.

I think that is exactly why coach kept McBee on him so much. Why gas out 3 more capable scoreres when McBee can deny the ball and not do any worse, when Turner was on fire. And do just as good when he cooled off.

I watched the game and I though McBee looked terrible on defense. He gives effort and goes for 50/50 balls, so you can't be too hard on him, but he's got slow feet, slow hands and bad intuition. He's just not a good perimeter defender.

Lol. About 99% of the population would "look" terrible when guarding Elston Turner.

Look, I never said that McBee was our best defender, but he played Turner pretty well.

I am not going to hang on to this argument that much because we won, and it doesn't really matter.

When Turner is making those fade shots, he's impossible to stop. He makes defense look bad even though the defense was good.

Lol. About 99% of the population would "look" terrible when guarding Elston Turner.

Look, I never said that McBee was our best defender, but he played Turner pretty well.

I am not going to hang on to this argument that much because we won, and it doesn't really matter.

I mean, I guess it could've been worse. He could've scored 40.

Don't think they're idiots at all.
Richardson played 43 of 60 minutes.
When they made the change at 49 minutes Turner did little further scoring.
36 points isn't good defense.

When Turner is making those fade shots, he's impossible to stop. He makes defense look bad even though the defense was good.

Your first sentence makes these arguments moot IMO. I dont care who we had suited up, when Turner got hot in the first half WE were not going to stop him. Its nothin agains US either, its just basketball. When a guy gets that hot the rim gets bigger and defenders are slower, shorter, and whiter. lol that last one was a joke not racist. I too have a color TV!:thumbsup:

Pretty well?

Turner scored the second most points in a game in his entire career against us. I'd hate to see what he would have scored if McBee played bad D against him.

VN Store

Back