McRae:
14.6 ppg
12-32 3pt FG...37.5%
25-32 FTs...78%

Tennessee Team:
32-89 3pt FG...36%
138-184 FTs...75%
179-381 FG%...47%

It is no coincidence that we are 6-2 in the last 8 games with these numbers. In the two losses (UGA and Ark), we were a combined 5-21 from 3, missed 13 FTs, and committed 34 TOs.

We are playing our best basketball right now. Golden has returned as a man on fire. Stokes is playing with purpose, and McRae is finding his confidence again after a spell where he faded a bit.

The offense looks crisper, it looks like we run it with more of an understanding of how to score, and it looks like we run set plays more often than I can ever remember under Martin. It also seems like he has turned on the green light for his scorers to go score. We have done a better job getting the ball to Stokes in the paint. He is averaging 9.6 shots/game in that span, as opposed to 8.3 shots/game for the season.

Reactions: 2 people
Attack the basket. When UT attacks the basket, they win.

When they settle for contested jump shots and stall on offense, they lose.

I also think our defense has been more consistent and not as many breakdowns.

Reactions: 1 person
Stokes:
15.9 ppg
11.3 rpg
37-53 FTs...70%

Golden:
13.0 ppg
3.7 apg
1.5 TO/gm

McRae:
14.6 ppg
12-32 3pt FG...37.5%
25-32 FTs...78%

Tennessee Team:
32-89 3pt FG...36%
138-184 FTs...75%
179-381 FG%...47%

It is no coincidence that we are 6-2 in the last 8 games with these numbers. In the two losses (UGA and Ark), we were a combined 5-21 from 3, missed 13 FTs, and committed 34 TOs.

We are playing our best basketball right now. Golden has returned as a man on fire. Stokes is playing with purpose, and McRae is finding his confidence again after a spell where he faded a bit.

The offense looks crisper, it looks like we run it with more of an understanding of how to score, and it looks like we run set plays more often than I can ever remember under Martin. It also seems like he has turned on the green light for his scorers to go score. We have done a better job getting the ball to Stokes in the paint. He is averaging 9.6 shots/game in that span, as opposed to 8.3 shots/game for the season.

Aren't the 2 losses in that stretch the 2 games that Golden missed?

I didn't see any of UGA game, but they seemed to have shot the 3 against us like we did tonight. Boy that win would be nice right now.

FT improvement by Stokes is awesome. Definitely has been putting in work.

Reactions: 3 people
Aren't the 2 losses in that stretch the 2 games that Golden missed?

Yes they are. The UGA game was one that could have been won, in spite of missing Golden, if we limit TOs. We had 14, and the perimeter defense was very lackadaisical. Caldwell-Pope put on a shooting clinic.

Arkansas was just a beatdown. Golden would have helped if he were playing like he is currently. 20 TOs and 8 missed FTs.

Attack the basket. When UT attacks the basket, they win.

When they settle for contested jump shots and stall on offense, they lose.

I also think our defense has been more consistent and not as many breakdowns.

Exactly. I will even take occasional defensive breakdowns in lieu of a more aggressive offense predicated on getting the ball to the paint, either to Stokes, or driving to the lane and attacking. The "throw it around the perimeter" offense has proven not to work, and I hope CCM has learned from early season coaching mistakes. This team's strengths lie on the inside and working out, not vice-versa.

Reactions: 1 person
It helps to hit your shots if you want to win games. :)

This is true. If we shot 60% from the field like we did vs UK, we wouldn't lose many games.

I think a direct correlation to our newfound success does lie with an increase in Stokes' and the team's recent improvement from the FT line. In our 4-game win streak, we have shot 73%, 75%, 81%, & 85% respectively from the stripe. Stokes has avg 7 FT attempts/game and is a collective 19-28 over that span, good for 68%. That is marked improvement from him.

We have also shot better from the perimeter, which helps, but I think being more judicious with our perimeter shots has helped as much as anything.

We have also shot better from the perimeter, which helps, but I think being more judicious with our perimeter shots has helped as much as anything.

I rarely quote myself, but I wanted to further illustrate this point.

Looking back, it seems our "magical" perimeter number is 15 shots from behind the arc. When we shoot less than 15, we are 9-3. When we shoot 15 or more, we are 6-7, with three of those wins being against Oakland, Presbyterian, and Mississippi St.; teams we should beat on talent alone. Four of the losses were definitely winnable games with better shot selection; @Georgetown, @Virginia, @Bama, and @Ole Miss.

Exactly. I will even take occasional defensive breakdowns in lieu of a more aggressive offense predicated on getting the ball to the paint, either to Stokes, or driving to the lane and attacking. The "throw it around the perimeter" offense has proven not to work, and I hope CCM has learned from early season coaching mistakes. This team's strengths lie on the inside and working out, not vice-versa.

This begs the question.
Is Martin evolving or is his team finally playing the way he wants them to?

Not shooting 25% from 3 point land has to help too.

True, which was illustrated in % numbers in my OP. To further that, taking smarter shots from 3-point land has likely led to a higher percentage lately.

I don't think we all of a sudden became a good shooting team, or all got hot at the same time. I think we have done a better job getting the ball to the paint, and discerning a good shot from a bad one.

True, which was illustrated in % numbers in my OP. To further that, taking smarter shots from 3-point land has likely led to a higher percentage lately.

I don't think we all of a sudden became a good shooting team, or all got hot at the same time. I think we have done a better job getting the ball to the paint, and discerning a good shot from a bad one.

I would argue that. McBee and Golden (really everyone but McRae) were missing some wide open, good looks early on. I know there were some late clock shot misses and a forced one here or there, but on the whole the team was missing open looks. Those misses are makes now.

I would argue that. McBee and Golden (really everyone but McRae) were missing some wide open, good looks early on. I know there were some late clock shot misses and a forced one here or there, but on the whole the team was missing open looks. Those misses are makes now.

McBee, I would agree on. He is 12-30 over the last 8 games, good for 40%, roughly 7% better than his season avg.

Golden is still only shooting 33% from 3 during that stretch. It's an improvement over his season average, but I would hardly qualify 33% as "good" for a guard.

Who else has shown drastic improvement in that span? Reese is 2-8. Richardson is 0-4. No one else really shoots from outside.

I just think we are taking less shots from 3, and the ones we are taking are better shots. We are no longer settling for contested jumpers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. No one is going to confuse Tennessee for a good shooting team, but smarter shots and being judicious with shot selection can help mask the problem.

Bingo. I know people were mad when Zo said players gotta hit shots, but it was true...we were getting good looks and missing, now those looks are makes.

Awesome post chris, just building off it, and the importance of golden...the last 4 games since golden has returned...

W-L: 4-0
PPG: 73.5
TOpg: 13
FG: 51%
3pt%: 46%

Trae's numbers: 18ppg 5apg 2.3topg 3rpg 50%fg 36%3pt 88%ft

Awesome post chris, just building off it, and the importance of golden...the last 4 games since golden has returned...

W-L: 4-0
PPG: 73.5
TOpg: 13
FG: 51%
3pt%: 46%

Trae's numbers: 18ppg 5apg 2.3topg 3rpg 50%fg 36%3pt 88%ft

I agree. He seems to have been the catalyst, and a return to form for himself, was certainly what the doctor ordered for his team. Having a capable body to play PG has made a world of difference.

I agree. He seems to have been the catalyst, and a return to form for himself, was certainly what the doctor ordered for his team. Having a capable body to play PG has made a world of difference.

He's playing with that fire/emotion again, and I think it's rubbing off on guys.

McBee, I would agree on. He is 12-30 over the last 8 games, good for 40%, roughly 7% better than his season avg.

Golden is still only shooting 33% from 3 during that stretch. It's an improvement over his season average, but I would hardly qualify 33% as "good" for a guard.

Who else has shown drastic improvement in that span? Reese is 2-8. Richardson is 0-4. No one else really shoots from outside.

I just think we are taking less shots from 3, and the ones we are taking are better shots. We are no longer settling for contested jumpers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. No one is going to confuse Tennessee for a good shooting team, but smarter shots and being judicious with shot selection can help mask the problem.

If you say so.

You are comparing recent numbers to season averages. I am comparing recent numbers to the chunk of games in the middle of the season where UT couldn't score.

McBee shot something like 25% from 3's during December and January. I don't know what Golden shot during December and January but I think it was a far cry less than 33%.

If you say so.

You are comparing recent numbers to season averages. I am comparing recent numbers to the chunk of games in the middle of the season where UT couldn't score.

McBee shot something like 25% from 3's during December and January. I don't know what Golden shot during December and January but I think it was a far cry less than 33%.

Ok. Narrowing it down to those two months, I can see what you are saying. I agree that on the whole, we are a shooting the ball better now than in Dec-Jan, McBee and Golden included.

VN Store

Back