Vols get hot late - Just like last year

EaglesVols91

I do believe we can make the NCAA Tourney, but it hurts to see the potential of this team come alive for the 2nd year in a row late into the season. Hopefully we can start off good next season so we don't have to be in a win every game left situation in order to make the post season. I do give a lot of credit to Coach Martin for the job he's done so far. If we make the tourney, then give him SEC Coach of the Year for being able to take the team while missing our best player all season.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a shame they were unable to win a few of those early close games. Especially, Georgetown and Virginia.

I would rather be consistent all year. We were a tourney team last year, but didn't make it due to horrible play in the first half of the season.

At least this year we don't have any terrible losses. It'll be really interesting to see how we finish and we have some shots at some very good wins.

Reactions: 1 person
I would rather peak in Feb/March than november/december

Yes, but if you get going too late in the year like we've done under Martin, you miss the big dance and go to the NIT, which is crap. Losing that Georgetown game, Memphis game, and UGA game at home may be the difference between NCAA and NIT for us. I'm still hoping for NCAA but its still a long shot at this point.

Must win at Tex. A & M. Win that and the resume starts to look pretty good. Will be another top 100 rpi win. It will leave us with a manageable 4 game stretch run.

after watching the FL - MO game tonight, I honestly don't think we beat either of them. What are our NCAA odds if we lose both?

after watching the FL - MO game tonight, I honestly don't think we beat either of them. What are our NCAA odds if we lose both?

Practically nil if we lose both. The SEC will be lucky to get more than 3 bids this year, if you believe Jerry Palm and Joe Lunardi.

Practically nil if we lose both. The SEC will be lucky to get more than 3 bids this year, if you believe Jerry Palm and Joe Lunardi.

If the NCAAs started today, it's possible that only UF, MO, and Ole Miss would get in. But, they don't.

I would rather be consistent all year. We were a tourney team last year, but didn't make it due to horrible play in the first half of the season.

Last year was totally different. CCM had to learn about his team, and we were starting guys who hadnt averaged more than 13 minutes a game. We returned no starters (maybe Cam) from Pearl's team. It was a slow process.

Other than UGA, this team has not lost to a bad team. Take away 2 bad offensive nights and not stopping UGA's threes, and this team is headed to the tourney.

f we win all of our remaining reg seasons games except 1- say Fla or Mo, why shouldnt we get a bid to the Big Dance? There are no really dominant teams this year. What are we chopped liver? I will concede that 2 more losses, then we dont deserves a bid, but 1 loss or less- we should get into the NCAA tourney. What say u - Mandarins of round ball ?

If UT finishes out the regular season with nine straight wins and a 20-10 (12-6) record, they deserves an NCAAT bid.

If UT finishes out the regular season with nine straight wins and a 20-10 (12-6) record, they deserves an NCAAT bid.

I agree but that's a mighty tall order with FL and Mizzou still on the schedule. It's not impossible though if we keep playing well.

Everyone is marking Florida down as a loss, but they were a top 15 team last year and we swept them. We have their number at home, so I wouldn't be surprised if we win it. Mizzou is absolutely atrocious away. I think we have a good chance. A&M is the game that most worries me honestly.

Orrr...we could win the SEC tourney and it would all by null and void. :)

Some people might think this is crazy, but Maymon being hurt has actually helped this team, especially going into next year. It has forced Stokes to figure out double teams, and be more decisive in his moves down low. If Maymon was there he would have been a crutch of sorts. Its allowed Jordy to get more shots and build his confidence, and become the player most of us envisioned. It's let Moore get more minutes than he would have, and gain valuable experience. We wouldn't be going 4 guards with Maymon, and Moores minutes would probably be cut in half. So while we would be in better shape, record wise, with Maymon. For the future it's actually been beneficial. With this team mostly back, plus Maymon and Hubbs, next year could be really special. For now I hope we keep this up and make the tourney.

VN Store

Back