Few thoughts

Spartacavolus

Big Member
CM has shown on a few occasions now that he is willing to adapt to what he has on his team, and changing his attitude about throwing in some 3/4 court d set or dropping to zone. He's also shown that he'll make gut decisions during games with his lineup and who plays/who doesn't, going with the hot hands more than sticking with a lineup plan when it's not working.
The next step is, imo, to not wait so late and see what's happening quicker. We are peaking, but it's too late.
Think about:
--how many more wins we would have if Trae didn't come into the season with heavy legs? Too much travel and hard practice for a player like Trae. It has taken an injury for him to get fresh legs, so hopefully CM is aware and applies the appropriate action specific to the need of each player in future instances.
--how many more wins would we have if CM went to the refs/league earlier about Stokes?
--how many more wins would we have if CM went to the 4-1 with low isolations or pick and roll and spot up shooters from the start of the season, rather than running a motion offense with KH starting?

He's still a young coach and will keep learning. If he doesn't make this team think too much next year, we could be dangerous. I just hope he keeps improving and moves a little quicker on some decisions that make a difference between an ncaa birth and an NIT or nothing.

He's still a young coach and will keep learning. If he doesn't make this team think too much next year, we could be dangerous. I just hope he keeps improving and moves a little quicker on some decisions that make a difference between an ncaa birth and an NIT or nothing.

I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. I have taking a lot of heat in the other thread for suggesting that martin needs to make some things happen a little sooner in the future.

I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. I have taking a lot of heat in the other thread for suggesting that martin needs to make some things happen a little sooner in the future.

you shouldn't. It's obvious he waited too late on a few things. Make adjustments earlier and making better decisions earlier equals more W's. Of course hindight is one thing, but the changes needed have been pretty obvious

Think about the fact that Golden is healthy and playing better. That's the key along with Stokes giving good production. Golden plays bad this team struggles.

It would help if we had another solid pg so golden didn't have to play as many minutes or could play off the ball at times

It would help if we had another solid pg so golden didn't have to play as many minutes or could play off the ball at times

With a decent back-up PG we would have limited our Turnovers enough to have won at least 3 of our 10 loses. IMO

I think the key to keeping trae fresh is to not burn his legs out so early in practice. They grind on d in practice before the season and early season. I think, or know, that with some players, its too much. JR and McRae can run all day. Trae doesn't have the build to do it.

Reactions: 1 person
Sparty do you think martin relaxes his practice at the end of the year??

Could that explain our late season runs?

Sparty do you think martin relaxes his practice at the end of the year??

Could that explain our late season runs?

Yes. Not many hard grinding practices right now unless you take a big L like ky did or you don't sense the team focusing on the shorter practices. Doesn't mean you don't have good practices. Just means you don't grind as hard on some drills that wear your legs out.

Reactions: 1 person
There is no quick fixes coaches, just be patient and Conzo will have UT back on top. He is recruiting well but it takes time.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes. Not many hard grinding practices right now unless you take a big L like ky did or you don't sense the team focusing on the shorter practices. Doesn't mean you don't have good practices. Just means you don't grind as hard on some drills that wear your legs out.

Interesting. Think martin realizes its potentially an issue??

Interesting. Think martin realizes its potentially an issue??

I don't know. He may want him to fight through whatever. But if he isn't aware of trae getting worn down, trae needs to open his mouth and communicate what helps him be his best at gametime. He needs to be able to go to the coach and have that conversation about every player. You don't have to be a great pg to do those things that make you a leader.

I don't know. He may want him to fight through whatever. But if he isn't aware of trae getting worn down, trae needs to open his mouth and communicate what helps him be his best at gametime. He needs to be able to go to the coach and have that conversation about every player. You don't have to be a great pg to do those things that make you a leader.

Good post

CM has shown on a few occasions now that he is willing to adapt to what he has on his team, and changing his attitude about throwing in some 3/4 court d set or dropping to zone. He's also shown that he'll make gut decisions during games with his lineup and who plays/who doesn't, going with the hot hands more than sticking with a lineup plan when it's not working.
The next step is, imo, to not wait so late and see what's happening quicker. We are peaking, but it's too late.
Think about:
--how many more wins we would have if Trae didn't come into the season with heavy legs? Too much travel and hard practice for a player like Trae. It has taken an injury for him to get fresh legs, so hopefully CM is aware and applies the appropriate action specific to the need of each player in future instances.
--how many more wins would we have if CM went to the refs/league earlier about Stokes?
--how many more wins would we have if CM went to the 4-1 with low isolations or pick and roll and spot up shooters from the start of the season, rather than running a motion offense with KH starting?

1st point-- did Golden have this problem last year? He played a ton of minutes last year during the same type of practices and it didn't seem to bother him last year. Something was definitely wrong, but why would it have worn him down this year but not last year?

2nd point-- how soon was he suppossed to start complaining? Quinn's own article says Martin went to SEC coordinator of men's officials after the UK game to complain. Kentucky was the 3rd SEC game. 3 games into an 18 game schedule doesn't seem that long to wait to me. Earlier than that and you really don't have any proof. It's not CCM fault the officials waited 2 or 3 more games before turning things around.

3 rd point--I wonder how much of this was predicated on a belief that Maymon would make it back. I know you have to play what you have and a good coach has a decent backup plan and all that stuff. But I think Martin went into the season thinking he had 2 big men that passed well and played well together. He started the season with Hall at the 4 thinking it was a temporary thing. Then, as it became more apparent that Maymon wasn't going to return, he was forced to adjust. Just bad luck that Golden went down during that time.

1st point-- did Golden have this problem last year? He played a ton of minutes last year during the same type of practices and it didn't seem to bother him last year. Something was definitely wrong, but why would it have worn him down this year but not last year?

2nd point-- how soon was he suppossed to start complaining? Quinn's own article says Martin went to SEC coordinator of men's officials after the UK game to complain. Kentucky was the 3rd SEC game. 3 games into an 18 game schedule doesn't seem that long to wait to me. Earlier than that and you really don't have any proof. It's not CCM fault the officials waited 2 or 3 more games before turning things around.

3 rd point--I wonder how much of this was predicated on a belief that Maymon would make it back. I know you have to play what you have and a good coach has a decent backup plan and all that stuff. But I think Martin went into the season thinking he had 2 big men that passed well and played well together. He started the season with Hall at the 4 thinking it was a temporary thing. Then, as it became more apparent that Maymon wasn't going to return, he was forced to adjust. Just bad luck that Golden went down during that time.

Regarding point 1, Golden had surgery on his left knee. Maybe not fully healed.

Regarding point 1, Golden had surgery on his left knee. Maybe not fully healed.

I would agree with that. However, Golden withheld that the knee was hurt last year until the season was over. Maybe this year, he was asked if he was 100% and even though he wasn't he said he was. Who knows. I just think Golden was able to withstand the load last year, all things being equal he should have been able to withstand it this year too.

Also, something that isn't brought up much is Golden's decline occurred about the same time as his shoulder injury. Now that might be the result of hard practices, but what's a coach to do? Sometimes freak accidents happen.

Point 1: yes he did have a midseason lull last year.

Perhaps Sparty is on to something. The wear and tear of the preseason and first 1/3 of the games takes its toll on golden. It isn't until the late season when martin relaxes his practice style that he gets his legs back.

I would agree with that. However, Golden withheld that the knee was hurt last year until the season was over. Maybe this year, he was asked if he was 100% and even though he wasn't he said he was. Who knows. I just think Golden was able to withstand the load last year, all things being equal he should have been able to withstand it this year too.

Also, something that isn't brought up much is Golden's decline occurred about the same time as his shoulder injury. Now that might be the result of hard practices, but what's a coach to do? Sometimes freak accidents happen.

I agree completely. Just playing Devils Advocate a little. I don't know why the decline, honestly. But even with the decline, his numbers still aren't horrible. Not great by any means, but not too terrible either. In all honesty, I think we as fans have put him on too high a pedestal and he's just doing the best he can.

Point 1: yes he did have a midseason lull last year.

Perhaps Sparty is on to something. The wear and tear of the preseason and first 1/3 of the games takes its toll on golden. It isn't until the late season when martin relaxes his practice style that he gets his legs back.

Could you tell me which games exactly this mid-season lull was against last year?

I agree completely. Just playing Devils Advocate a little. I don't know why the decline, honestly. But even with the decline, his numbers still aren't horrible. Not great by any means, but not too terrible either. In all honesty, I think we as fans have put him on too high a pedestal and he's just doing the best he can.

I think his turn-overs were a bit worrisome. But all in all, I don't disagree with you.

Could you tell me which games exactly this mid-season lull was against last year?

From miss st to Kentucky golden scored 5 or less points in 4 of 6 games last year. Following that stretch he didn't start against Georgia.

Perhaps you should research things a little further before you are so quick to assume your expert opinion is always spot on.

From miss st to Kentucky golden scored 5 or less points in 4 of 6 games last year. Following that stretch he didn't start against Georgia.

Perhaps you should research things a little further before you are so quick to assume your expert opinion is always spot on.

Which Georgia game you talking, cause, um Golden played in both UGA games last year.

VN Store

Back