Moved up 10 spots in the BPI

If we go 5-1 to close out. We would be what a 3 seed in the SEC tourney? With a 21-11 overall and a good second half of the season resume, I think we are in too. Assuming a couple of wins in the SEC tourney, of course.

If we go 5-1 to close out. We would be what a 3 seed in the SEC tourney? With a 21-11 overall and a good second half of the season resume, I think we are in too. Assuming a couple of wins in the SEC tourney, of course.

Going 5-1 would put us at 19-11 so I would think one win would be good enough. We have one questionable lost to UGA but in return we have some nice wins that would include Mizzoui if we go 5-1. I'll feel comfortable at 20 wins. Just one game at a time. Don't care how we win them.

Unless we win the SEC tournament (which makes this discussion null and void), we would finish with 12 losses under your scenario of going 5-1 down the stretch.

Going 5-1 would put us at 19-11 so I would think one win would be good enough. We have one questionable lost to UGA but in return we have some nice wins that would include Mizzoui if we go 5-1. I'll feel comfortable at 20 wins. Just one game at a time. Don't care how we win them.

Man I know. That UGA lose hurts the worst. But a win against Florida at home numbs the pain.

A&M scares me though

someone should make a thread about possible match ups in the sec tourney(based on current standings).. We might be lucky enough to get through the first 2 games easily

Florida, Bama and Ole Miss are likely teams to get Byes. Florida will lose maybe 1 or 2 more games this conference season, Bama is setting pretty with only 3 losses right now and Ole Miss only has Bama (at home) and LSU away that would give them fits. Carolina and State aren't hard road games so no reason they shouldn't win those.

So.....that leaves the 4th spot wide open at this point.

- Kentucky - You can pretty much count on loses against Arkansas at Bud Walton and Mizzou/Florida at Rupp. They might even lose more than that.
- Mizzou - Depending on what they do tomorrow against Florida, they are the best choice IMO. They have road games @ Rupp, South Carolina and here. They will eat Kentucky alive on the boards and match the pace Cal likes playing.
- Arkansas - Not going to happen. They just now got their first road win of the year against Auburn and struggled getting that. They still have to visit Florida, Mizzou and LSU. All three will beat the Razorbacks.
- LSU - As long as we serve these clowns tomorrow, it shouldn't matter. They will drop a couple more in conference play.

I would much rather be a 5 seed. We'd likely draw State or South Carolina in the first round and get to face a Mizzou / Kentucky / Arkansas team in the 2nd round. I don't care playing Florida in the semi's as long as we finish strong and win 2 in the conference tournament.

Florida, Bama and Ole Miss are likely teams to get Byes. Florida will lose maybe 1 or 2 more games this conference season, Bama is setting pretty with only 3 losses right now and Ole Miss only has Bama (at home) and LSU away that would give them fits. Carolina and State aren't hard road games so no reason they shouldn't win those.

- Kentucky - You can pretty much count on loses against Arkansas at Bud Walton and Mizzou/Florida at Rupp. They might even lose more than that.
- Mizzou - Depending on what they do tomorrow against Florida, they are the best choice IMO. They have road games @ Rupp, South Carolina and here. They will eat Kentucky alive on the boards and match the pace Cal likes playing.
- Arkansas - Not going to happen. They just now got their first road win of the year against Auburn and struggled getting that. They still have to visit Florida, Mizzou and LSU. All three will beat the Razorbacks.
- LSU - As long as we serve these clowns tomorrow, it shouldn't matter. They will drop a couple more in conference play.

I would much rather be a 5 seed. We'd likely draw State or South Carolina in the first round and get to face a Mizzou / Kentucky / Arkansas team in the 2nd round. I don't care playing Florida in the semi's as long as we finish strong and win 2 in the conference tournament.

I think you hit it on the head Jack! :good!:

Thanks for the insight! I still think it would helpful if you could make a thread of sec tourney bracket. But i'm liking that scenario at the 5 seed

Indeed. The 5 or 6 seed gives us the best chance for a first round win. I hate byes because the teams you end up playing already played the night before and most of the time are loose and over being nervous. I'd love a confidence booster in smoking South Carolina or Mississippi State before facing someone decent.

Reactions: 1 person
Indeed. The 5 or 6 seed gives us the best chance for a first round win. I hate byes because the teams you end up playing already played the night before and most of the time are loose and over being nervous. I'd love a confidence booster in smoking South Carolina or Mississippi State before facing someone decent.

A good 20 point sec win would be a good confidence booster :)

I was going to say that I think the 6 seed (to avoid Florida) would work out better, but I think whatever seed ends up with UT avoiding Ole Miss as long as possible is the best. For whatever reason the Vols don't match up well with them. Everyone else, if Tennessee is playing the way they should, I like their chances.

I always find this funny. You only hear about this when the team with the bye loses. Then it is an excuse dragged out by coaches to explain why their team was beaten by a lower seed. Always take the bye. You can't lose games you don't play.

I always find this funny. You only hear about this when the team with the bye loses. Then it is an excuse dragged out by coaches to explain why their team was beaten by a lower seed. Always take the bye. You can't lose games you don't play.

Plus, typically the team you play in the first round hurts your strength-of-schedule. For a team like Tennessee that needs all the help they can get, it's a catch-22. Do you take the RPI hit and get a win, or take the bye, and risk walking away from the SEC tourney 0-1?

Plus, typically the team you play in the first round hurts your strength-of-schedule. For a team like Tennessee that needs all the help they can get, it's a catch-22. Do you take the RPI hit and get a win, or take the bye, and risk walking away from the SEC tourney 0-1?

The SOS hit thing is kind of overblown too. If playing a team like SoCar or Miss St 30 games into the season knocks your SOS down so far that it knocks you off the bubble, you probably weren't really on the bubble in the first place.

The SOS hit thing is kind of overblown too. If playing a team like SoCar or Miss St 30 games into the season knocks your SOS down so far that it knocks you off the bubble, you probably weren't really on the bubble in the first place.

I'm just saying, if your close, and you're competing with 10 other teams for two bubble spots, every little bit helps. I'm not suggesting it has a crippling effect on most team' efforts, but it is the other side of the coin to the suggestion that beating up on a bad team in the first round vs getting a bye is somehow necessarily better for a team resume.

SOS worked extremely well in UTs favor Pearl's first year. There's no way that team should've been a #2 seed, but they were. It really depends on what the committee decides to put emphasis on.

VN Store

Back