Martin, Golden, and Motivation

BruinVol

Considering we are almost 2 years into the martin era the biggest thing that jumps out to me is how he uses the bench to motivate players.

Don't get me wrong I think playing time has to be used in certain situations but IMO martin is too extreme in this area. Golden has proven himself as a quality winning player and martins benching of him both years cost us precious games IMO.

It is my hope that martin can find another way to motivate key players than benching them for long periods of time and costing us precious wins that could lead a NCAA tourney at large birth.

That makes perfect sense.

Oh wait, no it doesn't, because Martin did the same thing last year and Golden went on a tear.

I love benching players to motivate them. Please remember back when Golden was playing horrible and he cost us 2 or 3 wins. He had a 8 game stretch where he hurt us when he was on the floor.

He has played great the last 3 games. If he continues to play this way, we will be fine.

That makes perfect sense.

Oh wait, no it doesn't, because Martin did the same thing last year and Golden went on a tear.

Exactly. He did the same thing last year. One more win would have been a HUGE deal. He motivated by benching a player that cost us that win. The point is great coaches find a way to get results without penalizing the entire team with their motivation.

Exactly. He did the same thing last year. One more win would have been a HUGE deal. He motivated by benching a player that cost us that win. The point is great coaches find a way to get results without penalizing the entire team with their motivation.

Golden was costing us games with his play...something had to be done.

Reactions: 3 people

You don't remember last year, do you?

UT won the game Golden was benched against Georgia.

He had 16 points 6 boards and five assists while shooting 5-8 in a win.

UT won eight of their next nine.

Golden was costing us games with his play...something had to be done.

Yes something had to be done. He had to play better! We are a bad team without him and also a bad team with him playing poorly. Martin has to find a way to get him and others to play up to their potential without sitting them on the bench for multiple precious games. That's the point !

Yes something had to be done. He had to play better! We are a bad team without him and also a bad team with him playing poorly. Martin has to find a way to get him and others to play up to their potential without sitting them on the bench for multiple precious games. That's the point !

What would you like him to do? Threaten to take his scholarship away?

This is just a silly idea.

Can you name me a coach with those powers. Cal, K, Knight etc have all benched guys at one time...

You don't remember last year, do you?

UT won the game Golden was benched against Georgia.

He had 16 points 6 boards and five assists while shooting 5-8 in a win.

UT won eight of their next nine.

Golden was been benched for parts of a number during crunch time during a number of games during our mid season struggles a year ago. IMO martin can get very stubborn with his use of playing time to get his point across.

Golden was been benched for parts of a number during crunch time during our mid season struggles a year ago. IMO martin can get very stubborn with his use of playing time to get his point across.

What games? I don't remember any in crunch times.

Golden's an inconsistent player. That has nothing to do with motivation from Martin. It's just Trae Golden.

Reactions: 1 person
Golden was been benched for parts of a number during crunch time during a number of games during our mid season struggles a year ago. IMO martin can get very stubborn with his use of playing time to get his point across.

He benched Kenny tonight and we won a very important game tonight...

What games? I don't remember any in crunch times.

Golden's an inconsistent player. That has nothing to do with motivation from Martin. It's just Trae Golden.

How is a very good players inconsistency have nothing to do with his coaching??

Isn't that exactly what a coach is paid to do?

Calipari couldn't motivate Terrence Jones some nights, OMG Calipari is terrible.

How is a very good players inconsistency have nothing to do with his coaching??

Isn't that exactly what a coach is paid to do?

It has nothing to do with motivation. That's the problem. Your trying to use some form of middle school terminology that "motivation" is the reason Golden is inconsistent. It's not. Golden's a flawed basketball player. You want to argue that Golden's flaws need to be corrected by the coaching staff, then have at it.

It has nothing to do with motivation. That's the problem. Your trying to use some form of middle school terminology that "motivation" is the reason Golden is inconsistent. It's not. Golden's a flawed basketball player. You want to argue that Golden's flaws need to be corrected by the coaching staff, then have at it.

Golden has been poorly coached. Either motivation or development from a physical aspect has been an issue. Martin has failed miserably in making him a consistent player.

Am I missing something? Was Golden benched this year?

I was under the impression he was injured, and then eased back into the lineup. What the hell did I miss?

Considering we are almost 2 years into the martin era the biggest thing that jumps out to me is how he uses the bench to motivate players.

Don't get me wrong I think playing time has to be used in certain situations but IMO martin is too extreme in this area. Golden has proven himself as a quality winning player and martins benching of him both years cost us precious games IMO.

It is my hope that martin can find another way to motivate key players than benching them for long periods of time and costing us precious wins that could lead a NCAA tourney at large birth.

I believe CCM has more experience in how to motivate his players than you do. I'll stick with him in this area. But nice try.

Golden has been poorly coached. Either motivation or development from a physical aspect has been an issue. Martin has failed miserably in making him a consistent player.

Golden is a shooting guard playing point. He's improved on his role each year. I think CCM has done a great job of scheming to Golden's strengths. Sometime, though, it's just not your night.

Oh look, Jim Larranaga benched Shane Larkin and Larkin responded.

The bottom line is this team cannot achieve anywhere near its potential without golden being a leading player.
Martin hasn't found a way to make him that type of player. That failure falls clearly on martins shoulders!

VN Store

Back