The South Carolina Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. YAY! A road win! Thank God. Can we play South Carolina for our first SEC road game next year please? Same thing happened last year. I don't know if it will lead to anything, but UT now has that confidence that they've done it.

2. I've criticized Martin lately, but I'll give him some praise here. I like the decision to go to the corners and feed Jarnell there. It worked really well. South Carolina took it away with the zone, but UT got three 3's late because USCe was so concerned with the post. Nice work Coach.

3. Tennessee's D was much better today. That should have been a bigger win had the refs actually would call a charge for UT. I think there were four that should have been called and they forgot over the back. But anyways, Richardson's ball pressure up front on Ellington again made a huge difference, and I thought UT's bigs did better coverage.

4. Speaking of coverage, I thought Jarnell's D was a big difference today. He had four blocks and altered five or six more. Just a beautiful job by him and good job by the guards funneling the USCe guards into the help. Stokes moved his feet today and it paid off.

5. Trae Golden, very nice to have you back. 8-10 from the free throw line, shot 50% from the field, and only had two turnovers. I thought he did a good job attacking the paint and made two huge and-1 plays for UT. Despite his struggles and inconsistency, UT is a better team with him. It's just a fact.

6. Nice to see D'Montre Edwards and Quinton Chevious today. Edwards didn't do much, but Q played good defense on Carrera, I thought the best out of anyone. Interesting to note, Kenny Hall only got 11 minutes and really wasn't in foul trouble. I wonder if Coach Martin is going more towards stretch fours and have Edwards/Chevious/Reese battle for the minutes, while Hall plays sparingly.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jarnell Stokes. He shot 66% from the field, hit eight free throws, grabbed ten rebounds (five offensive), four blocks, two assists, and made the three biggest plays of the game: Those two offensive rebounds and the block on Richardson on a drive that got UT the ball with under 3:00 to go. Not only that, South Carolina was so concerned with stopping him, that UT got to spread out their offense. He's playing like the second best big in the SEC right now.

8. Skylar McBee has been bad this year, but he played his best game so far. His D was solid, and he hit two big three's. Good game from him.

9. 17 turnovers...it's just a part of this team's identity sadly. It's not going to get fixed.

10. However, UT won a road game, got off the losing streak, and won an SEC game. Right now every game counts to get a better seed in the SEC tourney and hopefully get a bye. They played better today and it's a nice win. UT has a big opportunity to get Vandy on the road and start a winning streak. Wednesday could be a big game for UT.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 9 people
1. YAY! A road win! Thank God. Can we play South Carolina for our first SEC road game next year please? Same thing happened last year. I don't know if it will lead to anything, but UT now has that confidence that they've done it.

2. I've criticized Martin lately, but I'll give him some praise here. I like the decision to go to the corners and feed Jarnell there. It worked really well. South Carolina took it away with the zone, but UT got three 3's late because USCe was so concerned with the post. Nice work Coach.

3. Tennessee's D was much better today. That should have been a bigger win had the refs actually would call a charge for UT. I think there were four that should have been called and they forgot over the back. But anyways, Richardson's ball pressure up front on Ellington again made a huge difference, and I thought UT's bigs did better coverage.

4. Speaking of coverage, I thought Jarnell's D was a big difference today. He had four blocks and altered five or six more. Just a beautiful job by him and good job by the guards funneling the USCe guards into the help. Stokes moved his feet today and it paid off.

5. Trae Golden, very nice to have you back. 8-10 from the free throw line, shot 50% from the field, and only had two turnovers. I thought he did a good job attacking the paint and made two huge and-1 plays for UT. Despite his struggles and inconsistency, UT is a better team with him. It's just a fact.

6. Nice to see D'Montre Edwards and Quinton Chevious today. Edwards didn't do much, but Q played good defense on Carrera, I thought the best out of anyone. Interesting to note, Kenny Hall only got 11 minutes and really wasn't in foul trouble. I wonder if Coach Martin is going more towards stretch fours and have Edwards/Chevious/Reese battle for the minutes, while Hall plays sparingly.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jarnell Stokes. He shot 66% from the field, hit eight free throws, grabbed ten rebounds (five offensive), four blocks, two assists, and made the three biggest plays of the game: Those two offensive rebounds and the block on Richardson on a drive that got UT the ball with under 3:00 to go. Not only that, South Carolina was so concerned with stopping him, that UT got to spread out their offense. He's playing like the second best big in the SEC right now.

8. Skylar McBee has been bad this year, but he played his best game so far. His D was solid, and he hit two big three's. Good game from him.

9. 17 turnovers...it's just a part of this team's identity sadly. It's not going to get fixed.

10. However, UT won a road game, got off the losing streak, and won an SEC game. Right now every game counts to get a better seed in the SEC tourney and hopefully get a bye. They played better today and it's a nice win. UT has a big opportunity to get Vandy on the road and start a winning streak. Wednesday could be a big game for UT.

Go Vols!!! :hi:
Great post!!! It seem like the Vols was pushing tempo more and not waiting for the shot clock to run out. Very big road win and keep fighting.

While I still don't believe this team is going anywhere, it was fun to watch us win.

And it was really nice to see us close a game well for a change. And on the road, no less. That game was up for grabs with around 3-4 minutes left. And we took it.

Finally got a road win in 2013. I'd say that makes this a pretty good day.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
Actually pleased with how they played. Although SC is pathetic the Vols looked balanced and for once looked like a team in the final moments.

Good work as always Z.

^If this isn't fixed next year, solid PG or not, I will join those calling for Martin's head. Hate to say that.

Reactions: 2 people
Golden coming back was huge today. This was the best he has looked in a good while. Also, Stokes had a great game. He has really improved throughout the year. I was glad to see McBee hit some key threes, hopefully he can find his stroke and keep scoring.

Good work as always Z.

^If this isn't fixed next year, solid PG or not, I will join those calling for Martin's head. Hate to say that.

It will get fixed with a solid PG. One effects the other. A solid PG who plays 30 minutes will limit the TO's. McRae and Richardson just aren't used to handling the ball, and Golden just makes poor decisions. Some coaching does come into play with scheme and play calling, but I am convinced that a true PG will alleviate some of the problem.

At the end of the season, someone needs to make a highlight reel of Moore's blocks. He had another sick block today that was kind of lost in the game.

I thought that they played hard today, if not well at times. A win is a win is a win ,etc. Need to treat the ball as if it is made of gold, think before u try a cross-court pass, go after the 50-50 balls with effort , get your hands up while rebounding so that the ball doesnt pass u by. Still is a win , congrats to CM

Amazing how dead this place is after a W

Probably because many fans didn't know there was a game today. Many realized the season is already lost so why bother. I still hold out hopes of finishing with a winning record and making the NIT. Next 5 games games will be difficult. Vols could easily go 1-4 over the next stretch.

Worst decision of the day... McRae going for a tomahawk dunk and missing while the lead was at 1. When the game is that close, making sure that you score is the priority, not making the ESPN highlight reel.

I agree completely on the block calls that should have been charges. The one on Yemi was bad enough for CCM to try for his first technical. They showed that replay and Yemi was set for 1-2 seconds before he was plowed over. On what they based a block call I will never know.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the press into zone defense really got me pumped up. I say we play the press more often. Leads to easy baskets which we need.

GBO

It will get fixed with a solid PG. One effects the other. A solid PG who plays 30 minutes will limit the TO's. McRae and Richardson just aren't used to handling the ball, and Golden just makes poor decisions. Some coaching does come into play with scheme and play calling, but I am convinced that a true PG will alleviate some of the problem.

We still don't have one signed.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the press into zone defense really got me pumped up. I say we play the press more often. Leads to easy baskets which we need.

GBO

Agreed. I couldn't believe that we popped out in a press and then played some zone. It seemed to disrupt SC some. I am sure they weren't expecting that.

Officials have never been good with the block vs charge calls. I can understand getting them wrong, but at least be consistent. There were two blatantly obvious charges today that were called blocks. Overall SC ended up getting the bulk of the incorrect ones.

Worst decision of the day... McRae going for a tomahawk dunk and missing while the lead was at 1. When the game is that close, making sure that you score is the priority, not making the ESPN highlight reel.

I agree completely on the block calls that should have been charges. The one on Yemi was bad enough for CCM to try for his first technical. They showed that replay and Yemi was set for 1-2 seconds before he was plowed over. On what they based a block call I will never know.

I disagree.....the players need to play with the type of fire and emotion McRae showed on that play even if he missed.

VN Store

Back