Jarnell is finding his game.

SJAVol32

Got on him early for not being tough at times and checking out when double and triple teams came his way, but after watching the last 5 games. He has worked long and hard to get those double doubles. He is also improving from the free throw line. I can only think of what Maymon and Jarnell will do next year. I'm very impressed with his play.

Reactions: 3 people
He has gotten better and you see who isn't on the floor when things seem to click for stokes. Kenny the cooler Hall. As his minutes have decreased, stokes has been taking over. 4-1 is the place to be with our particlar team. He needs to stick with it.

My only complaint is that he doesn't "feel" his man in the post. He predetermines what he is going to do when he gets the ball. Takes a tad too much time.

But he's a great finisher, footwork is phenomenal, his rebounding has been extraordinary, and he is turning into one of the three best big men in the league.

Stokes has been awesome.

Reactions: 2 people
My only complaint is that he doesn't "feel" his man in the post. He predetermines what he is going to do when he gets the ball. Takes a tad too much time.

But he's a great finisher, footwork is phenomenal, his rebounding has been extraordinary, and he is turning into one of the three best big men in the league.

Stokes has been awesome.

I thought he had more feel today. He felt the double from the baseline and would make his move, or feel the baseline open and use it.
Problem with him is if he plays against length. SC had none.

I thought he had more feel today. He felt the double from the baseline and would make his move, or feel the baseline open and use it.
Problem with him is if he plays against length. SC had none.

Because of his lack of athletic ability, a guy like Noel (and yes, there aren't many of those) or just someone with long arms gives him problems. SC had no one who can guard him.

When he got hacked HARD by those two USCe players and they went sprawling was one of the more impressive things I've seen. He just stood there like a rock.

If I'm Martin, I'd tell Stokes to get at 250. He's man strong. He'll never lose it. He needs to work on his explosiveness.

Reactions: 1 person
That kids a man. Unbelievable to watch those USCe players just bounce off him/go flying once he made contact. He needs to improve his low post footwork, moves and explosiveness, but he's a man putting up great #s right now. The offense needs to go through him most of the time.

Because of his lack of athletic ability, a guy like Noel (and yes, there aren't many of those) or just someone with long arms gives him problems. SC had no one who can guard him.

When he got hacked HARD by those two USCe players and they went sprawling was one of the more impressive things I've seen. He just stood there like a rock.

If I'm Martin, I'd tell Stokes to get at 250. He's man strong. He'll never lose it. He needs to work on his explosiveness.

Completely agree. As the years goes on because I really see him here possibly two years. He will hopefully slim down keep muscle and be more explosive. That 15 shot will come eventually. He has all the potential in the world to get a double double effortlessly. Early on he either played down to comp or played just at it or above. I want to see how he keeps coming along. Free throws as well.

Expectations were set unrealistically high for this kid...he's likely going to average a double double for us on the year.

Last edited:
He still looks like he is playing in slow motion most of the time, needs to get mean play with a chip on his shoulder.

Got on him early for not being tough at times and checking out when double and triple teams came his way, but after watching the last 5 games. He has worked long and hard to get those double doubles. He is also improving from the free throw line. I can only think of what Maymon and Jarnell will do next year. I'm very impressed with his play.

Throw Hubbs and a true point guard, then we will see what we really got as a coach.:lolabove:

He still looks like he is playing in slow motion most of the time, needs to get mean play with a chip on his shoulder.

Have you seen him try and play fast? It's not pretty. He's playing how he needs to be. He's controlling the game and not letting it control him. And play with a chip on his shoulder for what? He's scoring and rebounding doesn't need to be mean just needs to make his living grabbing rebounds and going to the free throw line.

He's shown true improvement as of late. He's had games where he was careless with the ball and didn't handle the double-team well at all. He's done better at that, but he still committed a ton of turnovers today. He did have a great rebounding, defensive, and free-throw shooting day though.

5th straight double double tonight for Stokes...

His last 7 games...
31mpg 16ppg 10.7rpg 66%fg 64%ft

Since SEC play...
28.9mpg 13.7ppg 9.8rpg 57%fg 62%ft

I'm 100% convinced half of UT fans don't watch basketball

Or they are like my wife. She'll watch, but only sees the ball go in the goal or miss. That's about it. There is a lot to see in every minute of a basketball game. That's why it's my favorite sport.

Or they are like my wife. She'll watch, but only sees the ball go in the goal or miss. That's about it. There is a lot to see in every minute of a basketball game. That's why it's my favorite sport.

Same with baseball. "Oh, look, there's a pitch. It's a ball. This is boring". It's the mental battle that is so fun.

I've tried giving it a chance multiple times. I think it's just one of those sports you have to grow up with or something.

And just the other week some idiot came on here talking about Stokes adjusting his head band during the game. Wow, the things people gripe about who never ever played the sport on a competitive level.

VN Store

Back