Spot up shooters

PineyBluff Vol

I watched the Alabama game and finally realized we do not run an offense for a spot up shooter(McBee). Time and time again Golden would penetrate the defense, only to be totally collapsed on and McBee would be patiently standing to his right or left feet set at the three point line, Golden totally ignoring him. Why, if I can see McBee is open can't the coaches tell Golden, McBee is open. Explain!

I watched the Alabama game and finally realized we do not run an offense for a spot up shooter(McBee). Time and time again Golden would penetrate the defense, only to be totally collapsed on and McBee would be patiently standing to his right or left feet set at the three point line, Golden totally ignoring him. Why, if I can see McBee is open can't the coaches tell Golden, McBee is open. Explain!

Sound like good decisions by Golden

Reactions: 2 people

This must be the first time you have seen McBee play.

not just mcbee, Reese wide open on 4 different posessions and he doesn't get him the ball

The only thing I can think of is maybe Tennessee is trying to be so aggressive attacking the basket that they abandon the kick backs or look to draw the defense away from the basket to feed the post. Not sure. I watched the game and didn't see anybody being selfish or anything. I know I wouldn't pass the ball to McBee but if you have the game DVRd and care to reference the times so we can look at it.

Mcbee's slump is due in part to the type of shots he's getting. Many of his shots the last few games have been off balance or contested. He is much better when he is able to spot up, get his feet set, and then receive the pass, so I think when penetration creates an open shot for him, they still need to get him the ball.

All I know is...McBee is a senior so he's gone next year. I appreciate all he's done for UT but there is a ton of mid major guys that could of gotten a scholly and helped a lot more than he has. I don't want to argue or get into a debate with Tennessee's great white hype but I've never liked the guy and can't wait for the day where he's not in the lineup. So mean I know..

McBee has an elbow injury and needs Tommy John surgery. He shouldn't be playing when an injury negates the only decent part of the game that he has.

I get what you are trying to say, but this offense is probably one of the best there is for 3 point shooters, we just don't have any good ones. CCM's teams at Missouri State led the league in 3 pointers a couple years in a row if I remember correctly.

McBee has an elbow injury and needs Tommy John surgery. He shouldn't be playing when an injury negates the only decent part of the game that he has.

I'm way past the elbow being the excuse. He continues to shoot well in practices, warmups, and halftime...it's only the game that he can't throw the ball in the ocean.

I get what you are trying to say, but this offense is probably one of the best there is for 3 point shooters, we just don't have any good ones. CCM's teams at Missouri State led the league in 3 pointers a couple years in a row if I remember correctly.
His team was also way up there in the national rankings for fewest Tos.
Maybe he eventually gets some ball handlers.

another problem is that there is a guy who is 6'8" tall 270lbs. plus that gets man handled on a regular basis and can jump about as high as a piece of paper

Mcbee's slump is due in part to the type of shots he's getting. Many of his shots the last few games have been off balance or contested. He is much better when he is able to spot up, get his feet set, and then receive the pass, so I think when penetration creates an open shot for him, they still need to get him the ball.

McBee is getting nothing but WIDE open looks the last few games. The only one that I have even noticed recently that was really contested was in the Bama game when he tried to create his own shot. Most others during his slump has been very good looks and all spot up 3s that he just hasn't hit.

Being a senior and really has nothing to build on for the future, I think McBee's time should be maybe a rotation or two at the most. He really has nothing left to contribute IMO.

Being a senior and really has nothing to build on for the future, I think McBee's time should be maybe a rotation or two at the most. He really has nothing left to contribute IMO.

That's like playing the backup QB to "give him experience for next year" just because the team has 5 losses with a senior QB. I'm not going to give up on this season, and if Martin determines that McBee is good enough to be out there and will help this team win, so be it. Do I wish he'd hit more? Absolutely. But there isn't anyone on this team that can/will hit consistently, so the ones that have the ability/possibility to do so need to be in.

Reactions: 1 person
McBee is not very good at shooting and that's that. Reese is good but he's has a 30min release so he has problems getting his shot off when being guarded. That's where this stands in my mind.

1. Golden is not a point guard at this level. He is a small forward playing in a guards body having to play point.
2. McBee brings great hustle, but realistically he is a spot minute guy that should be spelling starters. If he is playing more than 10 mins a game we are either in foul trouble or he has knocked down 2 or more 3 pointers.

McBee is in a slump, and anyone that says he just can't shoot is wrong. He's not a prolific shooter, but his career hasn't been as bad as some people say. His senior year has been forgettable, but he's contributed every other year he's been here and has a hand in many of our big wins. He's not a starter, and he probably shouldn't get starter's minutes unless he has a hot hand. He'd be better off being utilized the way he was his first two seasons. Limited minutes as a role player.

Whether you like the guy or not, no reason to hate on him. His six points here and there in various games have helped put his team over the top. If we'd had someone better to take his minutes, it would've happened (don't forget BP coached him for two years too, so it's not just a CCM evaluation error).

Reactions: 1 person
McBee is in a slump, and anyone that says he just can't shoot is wrong. He's not a prolific shooter, but his career hasn't been as bad as some people say. His senior year has been forgettable, but he's contributed every other year he's been here and has a hand in many of our big wins. He's not a starter, and he probably shouldn't get starter's minutes unless he has a hot hand. He'd be better off being utilized the way he was his first two seasons. Limited minutes as a role player.

Whether you like the guy or not, no reason to hate on him. His six points here and there in various games have helped put his team over the top. If we'd had someone better to take his minutes, it would've happened (don't forget BP coached him for two years too, so it's not just a CCM evaluation error).

McBee came off the bench for Pearl and averaged between 12-15 min a game. Big difference from starting and getting 25-30 minutes a game. Defensively, he's a head scratcher. If you notice when he's in the game, the offense takes it right too McBee. He's usually isolated one on one and whoever he is guarding takes it right to McBee. Almost everytime they get by McBee. He's not the one that usually gets in foul trouble though. He puts our big men in trouble because they have to come off their man and stop the guard that just blew by McBee.

McBee has been a servere liability at the 2 ever since replacing Hopson. Hubbs will come in here next year and prove that point again.

VN Store

Back